Every comic you've read in 2009

Missy

Batman #683-OK this one saved it. But the last issue on its own and even combined with this was a big piece of shit. This one had a story. a good one. I love the art by this Lee Garbett guy. Great way to tide me over til Morrison returns (8/10) because...

Batman #684-Denny O'Neil wrote this? Oh my. Turd. I like a focus on Gordon and Grayson but the art was a mess and the atory didn't matter one little iota. Dumb waste of 2.99. 3/10

Batman #685-Just when you though it couldn't get any worse: a Catwoman Faces of Evil book! Yay... :rolleyes: She's the good guy in this one by the way. I don't give a shit about Catwoman. I don't think Paul Dini gives a shit about her from the way he shat this issue out and maybe the worst art I've seen from Dustin Nguuyen. There are one or two moments from Hush that make this somewhat readable but otherwise this sucked so hard I don't even want to write anymore about it. 1/10

Total

Comic books: 33

Trade paperbacks: 1

Graphic novels: 0

Green Lantern #36, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis#6, Green Lantern Corps #32, Faces of Evil: Prometheus Oneshot, Black Lightning: Year One #1, Haunted Tank #2, No Hero #3, Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising #1, Spider-Man Fear Itself, Dark Delicacies #1, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke Oneshot, Green Lantern #37, Myspace Dark Horse Presents Vol. 1, Final Crisis #7, Final Crisis Revelations #5, Faces of Evil: Kobra Oneshot, 1st Issue Special #1, 1st Issue Special #5, 1st Issue Special #6, Amazing Spider-Man #584, Dark Avengers #1, Elephantmen #15, Hellblazer #251, War Machine #2, The Mighty A #1, Faces of Evil: Solomon Grundy Oneshot, Green Lantern Corps #33, Jersey Gods #1, R.E.B.E.Ls #1, Batman #682, Batman #683, Batman #684, Batman #685

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone who cares the last issue of Nightwing was really shit.

It was just about him packing up and moving back to Gotham.

I'll stretch this out later.

Nightwing remembers how his history parrells Bruces and how he almost feels like he and Bruce are the same.

I thought the art was ok, but the story was weak.

Welcome to Hoxford #1- I want Ben Templesmith's babies.

Total

Comic Books: 35

TPBs: 1

HCs: 0

Graphic Novels: 0

Greatest Hits #4-5, Gravel #6-8, Crossed #2-3, Epilogue #3-4, City of Dust #3, Moon Knight #25, Incognito #1, Street Fighter II Turbo #3, Grimm Fairy Tales Annual 08, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #36, Doctor Who Classics #1, Doctor Who: The Forgotten #3-6, Scalped #24, The Goon #31, Ultimate Hulk Annual #1, Bomb Queen V #5, Mirror's Edge #3, Captain Britain and MI 13 #9, Titans #9, X-Men/Spider-man #3, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke, Street Fighter Legends: Chun Li, Astounding Wolf Man #12, Stephen King's The Stand: Captain Trips, Big Dog #1, I am Legion #1, Hack/Slash: First Cut, Welcome to Hoxford #1

I am sick of these crappy "Origins and omens" storys that take pages out of birds of prey and the sort.

I expected these to be ok, but the five I read, I only enjoyed one and that was mosyly because of the art and that was from the always repectable "Birds of prey" I'll miss it.

Birds of prey final issue. Was just a set up to Oracles battle for the cowl story. 7 out of 10

Robin was ok, but again made litttle sense and wasn't that memorable. 7 just for how good what happens near the end.

Outsiders: Hooray! I can finally drop this piece of crap!

Alfred is the new boss of the outsiders.

and where the hell did Owl-man come from!? I thought he was Bruces other earth counterpart.

Punisher war journal vol 5: Secret invasion.

Fuck Matt Fraction for writing this piece of shit. Fuck Howard Chaykin for drawing this piece of shit. Fuck Marvel for letting it go through and not be set on fire. Fuck secret invasion, I don't care about it. Fuck the money I spent on this piece of shit. Fuck punisher war journal!

Finally fuck me for being stupid enough to buy this piece of shit.

So all in all avoid this and spend your money on something good, like the darkness trade that just got released for $4.99 as it was infinetly nicer looking and more fun to read than this.

I'm serious everyone should not even look at the cover of this in the shop, even if you own everything involving secret invasion, and you need this to finish your collection, even if you love the punisher and are a collector and need everything he does, don't touch this.

Sorry for the sweary post, but dammit, this pissed me off.

At least I can drop this from my list of stuff I will even flip through in trade format ever again.

Man, your posts are depressing. I’ve got no idea why you’re putting yourself through this.

Go read some Walking Dead, or Hellboy, or Kingdom Come or something. Heck, you know what always picks me up? The Flight books. A thick collection of short comics from independent artists and writers. I’ve yet to be disappointed by them.

I read some of Millar's Authority (now up to issue #20 or so), and I have to admit I did like it a bit better than the earlier stuff by Ellis. Although the Ellis/Hitch run, and this Millar run just feels like a sort of precursor to things they would excel at later. Millar expands a bit from the baseline that Ellis set, it's still widescreen but less so without Hitch doing the arc, and it's also got a lot of the themes that Millar would blow out of the water on his run on the Ultimates. I don't LOVE the Authority, none of it really stands out, but it's still an interesting read. 7/10

Batman: Year One... This was my first time through this book and as one of the best Batman books ever, it lived up to the hype. I enjoyed it a lot. I liked that it worked in the context of the mythos but expanded. I also really enjoyed that this was just as much a Gordon: Year One book as it was a Batman book. I certainly felt that Catwoman's character could have been done without, it was really weak. But the story is pretty top notch, it gets wrapped up a bit too rushed in the fourth chapter, but any longer it would have felt overlong. So its a bit of dilemma. I still think I like Dark Knight Returns more in terms of story. But this one absolutely blows away in terms of art. My goodness. It's amazing at some points, and there is many full page spreads that are just beautiful. Very dark, and I love how Batman uses the dark in this book. It just bursts to life. 10/10

Total:

Comic books: 0

Trade paperbacks: 5

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 1 and 2, The Authority Volumes 1 (Relentless) and 2 (Under New Management), Batman: Year One

Robin 183- For those who don't know yet, Robin has been an abysmal book for a while. I can't believe its being written by Fabian Nicieza, who I've always usually enjoyed. His character arc to get him ready to be a potential new Batman seems so forced, all the old background characters have been thrown aside and its reached the point where they are making me care less and less about my former favorite DC character. I only got this because it was the "final issue", and I still regret it.

Invincible 59- Standalone story from the villains perspective. A nice step back from the usual highly continuity-dependant Invincible story and a great origin for a new bad guy.

Dark Avengers- Basically Thunderbolts with bigger balls. I'm liking it so far, and I actually get the feeling that with Norman Osbourne in charge the world will probably be a safer place. He isn't doing anything crazily immoral yet, and he's actually putting the villains to work doing good. This is a long way from being the replacement Authority from volume 4 of that series.

Man, your posts are depressing. I’ve got no idea why you’re putting yourself through this.

Go read some Walking Dead, or Hellboy, or Kingdom Come or something. Heck, you know what always picks me up? The Flight books. A thick collection of short comics from independent artists and writers. I’ve yet to be disappointed by them.

I'm atleast glad I've seen the light and now can happily drop a lot of crap.

I may try out a walking dead trade.

You know, you could have just read any of my IIWY reviews of that run of Punisher and saved yourself a lot of time.

Yes sir.

I may try out a walking dead trade.

Smart man.

I think there may be a board consensus amongst those who have read it that Walking Dead is the best ongoing book going today. Certainly I can't think of one books that has been so widely praised here.

If you feel differently or think another book is just as good, post it here and we'll make a poll.

Captain America #s 44-46-CA is a really interesting book in that it is dense and has a lot of shit going on but it is still a quick read. I'm loving the dual narrative past and present that is typical of this book in general and I love the inclusion of Namor and the

original Human Torch

as I loved the Invaders but thewy've never been done well. As much grief as I give Marvel they're doing right by this book in letting it unfold without tying directly into modern continuity. And it made Batroc cool.

I have an Invaders book idea that would rock and hopefully it's a tale I'll get to tell one day.

9/10

Total

Comic books: 36

Green Lantern #36, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis#6, Green Lantern Corps #32, Faces of Evil: Prometheus Oneshot, Black Lightning: Year One #1, Haunted Tank #2, No Hero #3, Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising #1, Spider-Man Fear Itself, Dark Delicacies #1, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke Oneshot, Green Lantern #37, Myspace Dark Horse Presents Vol. 1, Final Crisis #7, Final Crisis Revelations #5, Faces of Evil: Kobra Oneshot, 1st Issue Special #1, 1st Issue Special #5, 1st Issue Special #6, Amazing Spider-Man #584, Dark Avengers #1, Elephantmen #15, Hellblazer #251, War Machine #2, The Mighty A #1, Faces of Evil: Solomon Grundy Oneshot, Green Lantern Corps #33, Jersey Gods #1, R.E.B.E.Ls #1, Batman #682, Batman #683, Batman #684, Batman #685, Captain America #44, Captain America #45, Captain America #46

Daredevil #111-115-The Lady Bullseye arc worked a lot better than I expected. And to be honest, I've been on the ledge with this series for the past few arcs what with the status quo being "let's see how much tragedy can happen to Matt Murdock before he perforates his skull cap." This arc took what was great about Daredevil, strong characters, an amazing supporting cast, a viable threat and true mystery. Brubaker writes Iron Fist in this arc better than he did in the whole Iron Fist series. Black Tarantula is getting some of the respect he deserves as a character though I hope his arc changes course soon. I am psyched for Return of the King because, if I'm right, it's getting as close to Miller's Daredevil as it can what with

Kingpin being the leader of The Hand

The last few arcs have been a 7 at best but I have to give this a 10/10.

Total

Comic books: 41

Green Lantern #36, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis#6, Green Lantern Corps #32, Faces of Evil: Prometheus Oneshot, Black Lightning: Year One #1, Haunted Tank #2, No Hero #3, Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising #1, Spider-Man Fear Itself, Dark Delicacies #1, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke Oneshot, Green Lantern #37, Myspace Dark Horse Presents Vol. 1, Final Crisis #7, Final Crisis Revelations #5, Faces of Evil: Kobra Oneshot, 1st Issue Special #1, 1st Issue Special #5, 1st Issue Special #6, Amazing Spider-Man #584, Dark Avengers #1, Elephantmen #15, Hellblazer #251, War Machine #2, The Mighty A #1, Faces of Evil: Solomon Grundy Oneshot, Green Lantern Corps #33, Jersey Gods #1, R.E.B.E.Ls #1, Batman #682, Batman #683, Batman #684, Batman #685, Captain America #44, Captain America #45, Captain America #46, Daredevil #111, Daredevil #112, Daredevil #113, Daredevil #114, Daredevil #115

Read Batman The Long Halloween, it was pretty awesome. At times I felt like I was reading the Godfather meets Batman, and that's two bad-ass series I can get into. Sometimes though, I felt that Loeb was throwing in as many super-freak villains that he could (kind of like how I feel about some of Millar's runs) in order to boost the book. It felt like he didn't feel like the book couldn't stand on the crime story alone. Still a very fun book with some very good art. Not quite as good as Year One overall, but it's a nice continuation. I'm going to see if I can get Dark Victory next.

Total:

Trade paperbacks: 6

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 1 and 2, The Authority Volumes 1 (Relentless) and 2 (Under New Management), Batman: Year One, Batman: The Long Halloween

Batman #686- IIWY

X-Infernus #03 - IIWY

Total

Comic Books: 37

TPBs: 1

HCs: 0

Graphic Novels: 0

Greatest Hits #4-5, Gravel #6-8, Crossed #2-3, Epilogue #3-4, City of Dust #3, Moon Knight #25, Incognito #1, Street Fighter II Turbo #3, Grimm Fairy Tales Annual 08, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #36, Doctor Who Classics #1, Doctor Who: The Forgotten #3-6, Scalped #24, The Goon #31, Ultimate Hulk Annual #1, Bomb Queen V #5, Mirror's Edge #3, Captain Britain and MI 13 #9, Titans #9, X-Men/Spider-man #3, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke, Street Fighter Legends: Chun Li, Astounding Wolf Man #12, Stephen King's The Stand: Captain Trips, Big Dog #1, I am Legion #1, Hack/Slash: First Cut, Welcome to Hoxford #1, Batman #686, X-Infernus #03

Batman Chronichles: Vol 1.

OK, I know this is meant to be a history lesson, but I didn't think it was that special.

Batman: Death and the maidens.

This has the death of Ra's Al Ghul, I was hoping it would be as great as I hope to get the trade of the ressurrection.

Turns out Ra's has another daughter and the story plods along with no real importance, muddling art and an ending which is known from the start and is never in question, but how they do it, is so dumb and I really couldn't care.

Ra's Fans: Pick up tales of the demon.

Identity crisis: Fucking loved this, couldn't put it down, and even though I knew the big shock ending before the end of the first chapter as it's been spoiled everywhere. I was still happy with the justification. Good book, and was really a fun read.I really want to read more of Deathstroke, as the pages he was in, in this were awesome.

Getting walking dead volume 1 this week.

Punisher: Frank Castle #67 - A mild improvement over last month, but it's still more brainless action than I'd really like. What I loved about Garth Ennis's run on this book was the way he transformed Frank from an ageless wonder with a bottomless armory and an itchy trigger finger into an older and wiser, more collected, conniving character. Two issues into this new creative team, and he's back to his old ways. As thirty-odd pages of random killings go, this was fine, but it's lacking the depth and heavy atmosphere that's kept me on board this long. The new characters feel like pale impersonations of the supporting cast Ennis completely wiped out before he left, and the thin premise is already working on borrowed time.

4/10

Also, IIWY: REBELS #1 and The Darkness #75

Comics: 34, TPB: 4

Hotwire: Requiem for the Dead #1-DM 78

Total

Comic books: 42

Green Lantern #36, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis#6, Green Lantern Corps #32, Faces of Evil: Prometheus Oneshot, Black Lightning: Year One #1, Haunted Tank #2, No Hero #3, Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising #1, Spider-Man Fear Itself, Dark Delicacies #1, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke Oneshot, Green Lantern #37, Myspace Dark Horse Presents Vol. 1, Final Crisis #7, Final Crisis Revelations #5, Faces of Evil: Kobra Oneshot, 1st Issue Special #1, 1st Issue Special #5, 1st Issue Special #6, Amazing Spider-Man #584, Dark Avengers #1, Elephantmen #15, Hellblazer #251, War Machine #2, The Mighty A #1, Faces of Evil: Solomon Grundy Oneshot, Green Lantern Corps #33, Jersey Gods #1, R.E.B.E.Ls #1, Batman #682, Batman #683, Batman #684, Batman #685, Captain America #44, Captain America #45, Captain America #46, Daredevil #111, Daredevil #112, Daredevil #113, Daredevil #114, Daredevil #115, Hotwire: Requiem for the Dead #1

Anyone catch Dark Avengers #2 yet?

How badass was the Sentry ripping off Morgana's head?

Pretty damn badass. I like the fact that Norman has actually got The Sentry under his control to some extend, and in exchange The Sentry actually has a measure of normalcy instead of his usual wild mood swings.

The Authority by Millar volume 3 (Transfer of Power): The arc that wasn't written by Millar was quite strange the arc that was written by Millar was a fitting end to what was an enjoyable superhero action blockbuster. I can see where the Authority was considered groundbreaking by taking the superheo archetypes and turning them on their head, the inclusion of the political aspects, and ushering in the widescreen action approach to the art. But just because it's the first (or one of the first) doesn't mean its the best. I still think that it was quite lacking in characterization and memorable characters (with the exception of the Midnighter being awesome). The characters never really moved forward from point A to point B, frankly because the big action plots are so overwhelming that envelopes everything around. Still pretty enjoyable.

I tried to get Batman Dark Victory from the library but I think it's missing, it's listed as there, but I didn't see it. Oh well. I picked up three Planetary Trades instead.

Total:

Trade paperbacks: 7

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 1 and 2, The Authority by Ellis/Hitch/Millar/Quietly Volumes 1 (Relentless) and 2 (Under New Management) and 3 (Transfer of Power), Batman: Year One, Batman: The Long Halloween