Every comic you've read in 2009

Missy

I've avoiding seeing the movie since I hate Angelina Jolie and clearly wasn't a fan of the source material.

But it has Morgan Freeman saying "shoot the motherfucker", which I'll admit I Youtubed.

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The movie was every bit as dumb and cheesy as I was expecting it to be. The story unfolded the exact way I thought it would, the twists were beyond stupid and the action was so over the top it would make Jason Statham blush.

I liked it.

I do wish Hollywood would stop telling me Angelina Jolie was attractive though. She looks like a stick insect with pouty lips.

I do wish Hollywood would stop telling me Angelina Jolie was attractive though. She looks like a stick insect with pouty lips.

The main selling points about her are that she's every mans wet dream:

She openly admits she likes women and has slept with women, I mean on the pervert scale, that cancels out a lot of bad factors, like her voice and her being able to act and the her long face and need to put a lot.

You say satire. I say vapid nonsense, like most of Ennis' work.

Point made?

At the very least Ennis is funny at his worst. Millar can't even manage that.

I'll take crass and uneven over pretentious and insulting any day.

At the very least Ennis is funny. Millar can't even manage that.

Also, was it just me, or was Millar calling me a fucking idiot for reading his story instead of doing something else with my time.

That's exactly what he was doing. But it's "edgy" and "unconventional", so people ate it up.

Actually, it was the part where the retard humped the other retard that was humping the remains of a third, as of yet unnamed retard while retards #4, 5, and 6 were in the background... humping.

The main selling points about her are that she's every mans wet dream:

But… she’s not. This is the point I’m trying to make.

I think the point that Suave was making is that people ignore her looks because she's a total whore.

I think the point that Suave was making is that people ignore her looks because she's a total whore.

Yes.

Angelina Jolie is alright looking, that's it.

She is annoying and always pouts for some reason and looks a bit like a fish.

Anyway, I'm going to go read a good comic, Batman: Hush returns.

Shit.

You say satire. I say vapid nonsense, like most of Millar's work.

Yeah. Except Spider-man Marvel Knights. And Wolverine: Enemy of the state/Agent of Shield. And the current Wolverine: Old Man Logan. And Superman: Red Son. And the Authority.

His work might not be to everyone's taste but in general he's written enough at a high enough quality to be counted as a decent writer. He can slip, but he's never been completely without merit.

Final Crisis #7

I'm not sure I have the words for this. This left me with more questions than answers and that's a good thing. Overall, with a lot of other books too, I have a feeling that the DCU is going to be the most exciting place to be for the next few years. I felt that way about Marvel two years ago though and I couldn't have been more wrong.

I'm going to say 9/10 but I need to reread the entire series (when I find my copy of issue two!)

Final Crisis Revelations #5

I'm not too sure why I've bought five issues of this. I don't like the Crispus Allen character, I don't like Huntress, I can't stand Renee Montoya as the Question. I like the new Batwoman. I hate the idea that Vandal Savage is possessed by Cain when Savage's very existence calls into question religion as an established foundation.

The art is subpar and I'm not a Rucka fan. Why have I been buying this? 3/10

Faces of Evil: Kobra Oneshot

I had lowest hopes of all the three I have read thus far (I'm only missing Solomon Grundy I think) but I enjoyed this the most. More stellar set-up for the year. Kobra is going to fuck EVERYBODY over this year. JLA in particular. Superman may end up killing his first villain. That's all I'll say.

The writing was tight and it did a Jason Aaron in skipping a very important part and it worked. Jesus Lopez is one of my new favorite artists too. Love it. There are those who could say that the villainy was cheap and that the violence is over the top but I dug it bigtime.

9/10

Total

Comic books: 16

Trade paperbacks: 1

Graphic novels: 0

Green Lantern #36, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis#6, Green Lantern Corps #32, Faces of Evil: Prometheus Oneshot, Black Lightning: Year One #1, Haunted Tank #2, No Hero #3, Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising #1, Spider-Man Fear Itself, Dark Delicacies #1, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke Oneshot, Green Lantern #37, Myspace Dark Horse Presents Vol. 1, Final Crisis #7, Final Crisis Revelations #5, Faces of Evil: Kobra Oneshot

You say satire. I say vapid nonsense, like most of Millar's work.

Yeah. Except Spider-man Marvel Knights. And Wolverine: Enemy of the state/Agent of Shield. And the current Wolverine: Old Man Logan. And Superman: Red Son. And the Authority.

His work might not be to everyone's taste but in general he's written enough at a high enough quality to be counted as a decent writer. He can slip, but he's never been completely without merit.

I'm closer to being on your side Stavros but I thought his first Wolverine run was a piece of shit.

I actually really dig a lot of Millar's work too. I loved his work on The Authority, Ultimate X-Men, Fantastic Four and Kick-Ass. Does that mean I worship the ground he walks on? Nah, he's capable of producing stinkers just as regularly as he does good stuff. Just take a look at War Heroes for proof. But I'm willing to read one issue of his crappy concepts and drop them in exchange for something that's as good as his work with The Ultimates was.

New Avengers #49 - Well, at least that storyline didn't linger. This read like a quick blowoff that trivialized the only interesting development from last month's issue

(Luke switching sides)

and just reset the status quo on a whim. But whatever, at least now we don't have to deal with a sixteen-issue arc about chasing an abducted baby. Feels like it's been five years since the Civil War, but we're only just now getting the promise of a real face-off between the dueling Avenger squads (naturally, the very second one roster completely changes), but I don't know if I buy Hawkeye's reasoning as much as his teammates did. A very mediocre showing from Bendis meets artwork of a similar level from the blase Billy Tan.

5/10

Daredevil #115 - I love the Izo character, and can't wait to see his relationship with both Murdock and Iron Fist evolve over the next few months before he's unceremoniously slaughtered before their very eyes by the next big threat. Still don't see a lot of promise in Lady Bullseye, but it's becoming clear that she's little more than a pawn in the grand scheme anyway. I was ready to cheer aloud when Murdock pulled down his mask to REALLY join the battle in the middle of this issue, but then all the fighting stopped and it was time to talk for a while. Laughed my ass off at the message of that talk, too

("The Hand doesn't take no for an answer!" "I understand, but my answer is still no." "Oh... well, no big deal. See you later then!")

, but I don't think that's what Brubaker was going for. A bit of a slowdown following the chaos of last month's issue, but still a fine read. I didn't think much of the Hand's "Plan B" comment until I turned the page and saw the cover for next month. If that means what I think it means, shit...

8/10

Ultimate Spider-Man #130 - After a few months of subpar contributions, the real Stuart Immonen is back! His work on the countless splash pages that coated this issue was phenomenal, particularly the shots of the grounded ship in the middle of NYC and the Hulk confronting Spidey at the end of the issue. Simply gorgeous. It's a shame this was slammed right into the middle of Ultimatum, because it made actually reading it a bit disorienting. When we left them last month, Pete and friends were headed downtown to party with Johnny Storm. From the outset this month, his buddies are busy rescuing civilians from a communter train and Parker's in full wardrobe swinging through the city without so much as an editor's note. Surely that could've been done a bit more smoothly...?

7/10

Wolverine #69: Old Man Logan - The gimmick is starting to wear a little thin at this point, and I don't know if I can live with a book that ships twice a year. Naturally, this issue came out in November so I'm a little behind, but it's taken that long for a copy to remain on the shelves long enough for me to actually buy it. McNiven's artwork varies from breathtaking to sloppy, and Millar's story follows suit. The cool stuff is really cool

(Loki's enormous skeleton crushed beneath the Baxter Building)

but the boring stuff balances things out by being really boring. I loved this series after the first two issues, but my patience is wearing thin.

5/10

Also two issues for IIWY? (Fathom #5 and Mighty Avengers #21) but I'd already read one of them. :D

Comics: 26, TPB: 3

I don't understand how "Final Crisis" leaving us with more questions than answers is a good thing, but I won't complain about it here. "Final Crisis: Revelations #5" was a flaming piece of shit. And I'm tired of Renee as the Question because she's been shoe-horned into this weird character that is nothing like her established character.

Of all the stuff I've read lately, the best thing is the recent "Green Lantern" arc. #37 was, indeed, fucking awesome.

Anyone else staying up with "Wolverine Origins"?