Every comic you've read in 2009

Missy

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the biggest thing that bothers me about her as Q 2, is that becoming the Question was such a personal thing to Vic. It was a product of his rough childhood, and a bad LSD trip, then the character even evolved further after a near death experience, subsequent re-emergence after training by Lady Shiva and Richard Dragon. The Question wasn't a secret identity to Vic Sage, it was damn near a mental disorder. It was his way of coping with a world that would kill him otherwise, and that's not just something that can just be passed down, without killing the spirit of the original.

I like Renee Montoya, I have no problem with her working as a vigilante. I have a problem with her calling herself The Question.

EDIT: To be fair, I held a similar feeling with Jamie Reyes taking over the mantle of Blue Beetle. But somewhere along the line, Jamie embodied that sort of playful heroism that was such an integral part of who Ted Kord was, and while he wasn't Ted, he filled the niche nicely. I just don't see Renee evolving/proving herself in such a manner.

EDIT: To be fair, I held a similar feeling with Jamie Reyes taking over the mantle of Blue Beetle. But somewhere along the line, Jamie embodied that sort of playful heroism that was such an integral part of who Ted Kord was, and while he wasn't Ted, he filled the niche nicely. I just don't see Renee evolving/proving herself in such a manner.

To be even fairer, Blue Beetle existed like 50 years before Ted Kord in at least two incarnations.

Faces of Evil: Deathstroke - IIWY?

Street Fighter Legends: Chun Li #1 - IIWY?

Crossed #3 - No retard humping in this one. In fact, the Crossed themselves are pretty much absent in this whole issue. The focus is instead on the survivors the and downfall of any sort of civilization or morals that once existed in the world. Makes for a pretty powerful ending in which gore was never even shown, which made it all the more disturbing, I think.

Total

Comic Books: 26

TPBs: 0

HCs: 0

Graphic Novels: 0

Greatest Hits #4, Gravel #6, Crossed #2, Epilogue #3, City of Dust #3, Moon Knight #25, Incognito #1, Street Fighter II Turbo #3, Grimm Fairy Tales Annual 08, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #36, Doctor Who Classics #1, Doctor Who: The Forgotten #3-5, Scalped #24, The Goon #31, Ultimate Hulk Annual #1, Gravel #7, Bomb Queen V #5, Mirror's Edge #3, Captain Britain and MI 13 #9, Titans #9, X-Men/Spider-man #3, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke, Street Fighter Legends: Chun Li, Crossed #3

Epilogue #4 - It's amazing that we're 4 issues in and this is the very first time the hero and villain have even met.

Greatest Hits #5 - This should be nearing (one issue left), but it feels like there's still a good five or six issues left to go.

Gravel #8 - I love how this book has completely switched gears from revenge romp to full fledged murder mystery. Fantastic.

Total

Comic Books: 29

Greatest Hits #4, Gravel #6, Crossed #2, Epilogue #3, City of Dust #3, Moon Knight #25, Incognito #1, Street Fighter II Turbo #3, Grimm Fairy Tales Annual 08, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #36, Doctor Who Classics #1, Doctor Who: The Forgotten #3-5, Scalped #24, The Goon #31, Ultimate Hulk Annual #1, Gravel #7, Bomb Queen V #5, Mirror's Edge #3, Captain Britain and MI 13 #9, Titans #9, X-Men/Spider-man #3, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke, Street Fighter Legends: Chun Li, Crossed #3, Epilogue #4, Greatest Hits #5, Gravel #8

Three more from this week's King and I added. I found my aborted IIWY notes:

Amazing Spider-Man #584-Best Spider-Man I've read since Erik Larsen was on the book. A fun Spidey with some dangerous aspects. I think the new villain is pretty dumb and I'm not sure I like the sort of mystery set-up they're going for but whatever. Best JRJr in a long time too. He's been stinking it up for so long on World War Hulk and Eternals that I thought he'd lost it. He hasn't.

7/10

Dark Avengers #1-Again, kind of liked this one too. The best Bendis since pre-House of M. Easily. Cool nod to Mighty Avengers #1 and a hilarious nod to the Iron Man film. It's got legs but for 3.99 it stinks. Deodato is not a guy I'm a huge fan of but I thought his art was pretty good when it wasn't crazily inconsistent.

6/10

Elephantmen #15: This book looked beautiful. But people bitching about Final Crisis need to give this book a look. There was absolutely nothing in here that made any sense whatsoever to a new reader.

2/10

Hellblazer #251: Best story ona Hellblazer issue since Ellis wrote his "arc". The art was an interesting choice but workd by the end of it and the ending was really creepy. It's worth checking out for a three issue arc.

7/10

War Machine #2: If I read a comic worse than this this year I'll be shocked. This issue ios everything that was wrong with comics 15 years ago. Fuck this book. Fuck Marvel for thinking it's worth publishing and shame on Greg Pak because he's capable of much better.

0/10

Total

Comic books: 24

Trade paperbacks: 1

Graphic novels: 0

Green Lantern #36, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis#6, Green Lantern Corps #32, Faces of Evil: Prometheus Oneshot, Black Lightning: Year One #1, Haunted Tank #2, No Hero #3, Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising #1, Spider-Man Fear Itself, Dark Delicacies #1, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke Oneshot, Green Lantern #37, Myspace Dark Horse Presents Vol. 1, Final Crisis #7, Final Crisis Revelations #5, Faces of Evil: Kobra Oneshot, 1st Issue Special #1, 1st Issue Special #5, 1st Issue Special #6, Amazing Spider-Man #584, Dark Avengers #1, Elephantmen #15, Hellblazer #251, War Machine #2

Oops. Forgot one.

Doctor Who: The Forgotten #6 - Great ending to a really cool run of fan service.

Total

Comic Books: 30

Greatest Hits #4-5, Gravel #6-8, Crossed #2-3, Epilogue #3-4, City of Dust #3, Moon Knight #25, Incognito #1, Street Fighter II Turbo #3, Grimm Fairy Tales Annual 08, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #36, Doctor Who Classics #1, Doctor Who: The Forgotten #3-6, Scalped #24, The Goon #31, Ultimate Hulk Annual #1, Bomb Queen V #5, Mirror's Edge #3, Captain Britain and MI 13 #9, Titans #9, X-Men/Spider-man #3, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke, Street Fighter Legends: Chun Li

Age of the Sentry #5 - :baby:

Final Crisis #7 - Loved it.

Green Lantern #37 - The opposite of :baby:. Sinestro is officially my favorite DC villain.

Nova #21 - I'm a big fan of Nova, but this issue left me cold. And the poke at Green Lantern was ridiculous.

Ruins - Marvels if everything went wrong. Well written and the art really complemented the story.

Super Friends #11 - Bat-Mite! Mr. Mxyzptlk! A Guardian of Oa referred to as an imp! Fun!

Superman Beyond #2 - Superman vs. a multiversal vampire. 'Nuff said.

X-Force #11 - Not bad, could have used a little more Clayton Crain.

Total

Comic Books: 23

TPBs: 8

Graphic Novels: 1

Age of The Sentry #5, Animal Man Volume 1 TPB, Animal Man Volume 2: Origin of the Species TPB, Animal Man Volume 3: Deus Ex Machina TPB, Astounding Wolf-Man #10, Astounding Wolf-Man #11, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5 of 5, Batman #684, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6, Final Crisis #7, The Goon #31, Green Lantern #36, Green Lantern #37, Guardians of The Galaxy #8, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5, Nova #20, Nova #21, Ruins, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 2 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 3 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 4 TPB, Super Friends #11, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Superman Beyond #2, Vimanarama TPB, X-Force #11

Astounding Wolf Man #12 - IIWY

Stephen King's The Stand: Captain Trips - IIWY

Total

Comic Books: 32

Greatest Hits #4-5, Gravel #6-8, Crossed #2-3, Epilogue #3-4, City of Dust #3, Moon Knight #25, Incognito #1, Street Fighter II Turbo #3, Grimm Fairy Tales Annual 08, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #36, Doctor Who Classics #1, Doctor Who: The Forgotten #3-6, Scalped #24, The Goon #31, Ultimate Hulk Annual #1, Bomb Queen V #5, Mirror's Edge #3, Captain Britain and MI 13 #9, Titans #9, X-Men/Spider-man #3, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke, Street Fighter Legends: Chun Li, Astounding Wolf Man #12, Stephen King's The Stand: Captain Trips

Tekik: It. Is. An. Honor. To. Carry. Your. Ring.

Sinestro: Yes. I know.

Sinestro: Look at that, Jordan. Another broken promise.

Seriously, besides Darkseid, who's a bigger badass in the DCU than Sinestro?

Yeah, I'll go with that. Sinestro is fucking awesome. You know what? He's Ben on "Lost."