Every comic you've read in 2009

Missy

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can put down the following now:

Essential Tomb of Dracula Volume 1: Still every bit of fun as I remember it. Never loses its lustre and is clearly the best horror comic of all time. There are marked improvements in story when Wolfman starts writing it though. That much is clear. 10/10

Night Force #1-7-"The Summoning" is one of my favorite opening arcs of all time and Wolfman and Colan are as on point as they ever were together in this book. The later issues get a little jaunty but this is classic adventure horror at its best. 10/10

Essential Howard the Duck Volume 1: It's amazing how "real-world" Colan makes this look even with including a giant talking cartoon duck. Doctor Bong is still one of the funniest villains ever. I love this book. 9/10

Essential Marvel Horror Volume 1: The stories are uneven at best but I am still amazed at what they were allowed to do in the seventies when they loosened the code. Colan's contributions are easily the best art-wise in an already great book art-wise. Satana is the single hottest bad girl in comics history too.

Total

Comic books: 96

Trade paperbacks: 4

Graphic novels: 0

Green Lantern #36, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis#6, Green Lantern Corps #32, Faces of Evil: Prometheus Oneshot, Black Lightning: Year One #1, Haunted Tank #2, No Hero #3, Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising #1, Spider-Man Fear Itself, Dark Delicacies #1, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke Oneshot, Green Lantern #37, Myspace Dark Horse Presents Vol. 1, Final Crisis #7, Final Crisis Revelations #5, Faces of Evil: Kobra Oneshot, 1st Issue Special #1, 1st Issue Special #5, 1st Issue Special #6, Amazing Spider-Man #584, Dark Avengers #1, Elephantmen #15, Hellblazer #251, War Machine #2, The Mighty A #1, Faces of Evil: Solomon Grundy Oneshot, Green Lantern Corps #33, Jersey Gods #1, R.E.B.E.Ls #1, Batman #682, Batman #683, Batman #684, Batman #685, Captain America #44, Captain America #45, Captain America #46, Daredevil #111, Daredevil #112, Daredevil #113, Daredevil #114, Daredevil #115, Hotwire: Requiem for the Dead #1, Batman: The Brave and the Bold #1, Green Lantern #38, The Walking Dead #54, The Walking Dead #55, R.E.B.E.L.S #2, Green Lantern Corps #34, Batman and the Outsiders #13, Robin #178, Detective #851, Batman #686, Battle for the Cowl: Gotham Gazette #1, Hotwire: Requiem for the Dead #2, City of Dust #5, Battle for the Cowl #1, Walking Dead #56, Walking Dead #57, Walking Dead #58, Secret Invasion: Inhumans #1, Secret Invasion: Inhumans #2, Secret Invasion: Inhumans #3, Secret Invasion: Inhumans #4, Savage Dragon #132, Savage Dragon #133, Savage Dragon #134, Savage Dragon #135, Savage Dragon #136, Savage Dragon #137, Savage Dragon #138, Savage Dragon #139, Authority Prime #1, Authority Prime #2, Authority Prime #3, Authority Prime #4, Authority Prime #5, Authority Prime #6, Punisher War Journal #19, Punisher War Journal #20, Punisher War Journal #21, Punisher War Journal #22, Punisher War Journal #23, Punisher War Journal #24, Punisher War Journal #25, Punisher War Journal Annual #1, Justice Society of America #21, Justice Society of America #22, Justice Society of America #23, Justice Society of America #24, Night Force #1, Night Force #2, Night Force #3, Night Force #4, Night Force #5, Night Force #6, Night Force #7, Essential Tomb of Dracula Volume 1, Essential Howard the Duck Volume 1, Essential Marvel Horror Volume 1

The Goon #32: "You have received a singing birthday telegram from...The Rape Gorilla??" I fucking love The Goon.

Total

Comic Books: 40

TPBs: 11

HCs: 0

Graphic Novels: 1

Adventure Comics #0, Age of The Sentry #5, Age of The Sentry #6, Agents of Atlas #1, Animal Man Volume 1 TPB, Animal Man Volume 2: Origin of the Species TPB, Animal Man Volume 3: Deus Ex Machina TPB, Astounding Wolf-Man #10, Astounding Wolf-Man #11, Astounding Wolf-Man #12, Astounding Wolf-Man #13, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5 of 5, Batman #684, Batman #685, Batman #686, Batman: The Brave and The Bold #1, Batman: The Brave and The Bold #2, Criminal Vol. 2 TPB, Criminal Vol. 3 TPB, The Darkness Accursed Vol. 1 TPB, Doctor Who: The Whispering Gallery, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6, Final Crisis #7, Four Eyes #2, The Goon #31, The Goon #32, Green Lantern #36, Green Lantern #37, Green Lantern #38, Guardians of The Galaxy #8, Guardians of The Galaxy #9, Guardians of The Galaxy #10, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5, Nova #20, Nova #21, Nova #22, Ruins, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 2 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 3 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 4 TPB, Super Friends #11, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Superman Beyond #2, Vimanarama TPB, War of Kings: Darkhawk #1, X-Force #11

Superman: Red Son: ...Can people tell me more about the Elseworlds series as a whole? Cause after what I read here, I'm incredibly interested.

I love these sorts of ideas, in terms of story telling. I love seeing how Superman, in doing what he may have thought was right, may have been able to do things that are kinda sorta horrible.

The robots were especially creepy.

And the idea of him being the ultimate Big Brother is terrifying. Also love seeing what the changed context has done to other big characters, Hal, Bats, and Diana especially. And the small cameos from other big names throughout the book were pretty neat.

I liked the coloring on this especially, and for the most part, the pencillings. However, at times, the faces are kinda... off. There's a panel early on with Diana supposedly smiling genuinely, but it looks more like a crazy Joker rictus smile.

Definitely worth a read if you haven't already.

Green Lantern #39: And now the introduction of yet another Corps to keep track of, which takes up a good deal of the issue. 'm interested to see more of how the Orange works, we just got a glimpse of it here. Also, they're potentially setting up Hal to become crazy overpowered, but that'll probably come in use soonish. Like the art in this issue a lot, especially in the

green and blue rings fighting for dominance in Hal

, which resulted in some beautiful color contrasts.

Deadpool: Suicide Kings #1: ....Ehh.

There's something off about this whole issue. Deadpool doesn't get a lot of his typical dialogue, which has a lot to do with it, but he does have some pretty decent dialogue moments throughout the book. The entire setup for the series is kinda bleh, too.

Interested to see what happens next issue with the Punisher, though.

Not worth the $3.99 price. Flip through it before deciding to buy it.

Justice Society of America #22:

...the ending. EVERY PERSON WHO LOVES KINGDOM COME NEEDS TO OWN ISSUE #22. What Alex Ross does puts the lid on the series ten years + later.

I actually disagree with you on this, Des.

The ending panels are a nice little treat, yes, especially the first of the new Ross panels (

goddaddy!Bruce!

) and the last one.

However, what comes before just kind of seems to undo the impact of the final issue of Kingdom Come.

Preston put it better than me, actually:

Like it's Alex Ross saying: "Hey, everything could turn out okay, if we all do our part." To, "Yeah, your world is fucked."

Liked Starman, though.

Comic Books: 23

TPBs: 19

Graphic Novels: 2

Motion Comic: 1

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight is ESSENTIAL READING! It is also the only Elseworlds book better than Red Son. Batman vs. Jack the Ripper. Nuff Said.

I also really enjoyed the Elseworlds Event of the early nineties that had every series produce an Elseworlds Annual which had some really good stories and some stinkers but good reading nonetheless.

I'm interested more in the exact mechanics of how they fight. Cause I'm kinda a geek like that. :P

Well they should cover that next issue as they seem like dirty fighters who the Guardians have tried to keep away from everyone. Should be interesting. How many more rings are their left before Blackest night?

Punisher Max Vol. 2: Kitchen Irish.

Read another volume of Punisher Max today, still bloody and violent, this time it's Punisher taking on the gangs of Hells Kitchen. Surprisingly, Frank himself doesn't get a whole lot of screen time here, with most of it being taken up by the many supporting characters who are all so evil that honestly the ending is such a relief. I didn't care about anybody in this volume, except for maybe the grandfather. Everybody in this volume is a piece of shit...and it's funny that that is the exact point the old dead Nesbitt gets across. I enjoyed this volume less than the previous volume, it was a lot more fun seeing the Punisher dealing with the law and his buddy Microchip. Still regardless, Ennis set up an excellent structure with plenty of gratuitous violence, action, and some interesting plotlines to put Punisher through the ringer and a solid book all around, I certainly don't love it, but it's enjoyable. I'm coming around and enjoying the book for what it is. Hopefully the next volume in Russia will be better. I'm going to try and keep reading this until I finish at least The Slavers which is the one that seems to get the most acclaim. 7.0/10

Total:

Comic books: 9

Trade paperbacks: 18

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 1, 2, and 3; The Authority by Ellis/Hitch/Millar/Quietly Volumes 1 (Relentless) and 2 (Under New Management) and 3 (Transfer of Power); Batman: Year One; Batman: The Long Halloween; Planetary vol 1 (All Over the World and Other Stories), vol. 2 (The Fourth Man), and vol. 3 (Leaving the 20th Century), Planetary Crossing Worlds (The Crossover specials); Planetary 19-26; Batman: The Man Who Laughs; Frank Miller's Daredevil: The Man Without Fear; RONIN; JOKER; Deadpool #1; Punisher Max vol. 1, 2

Punisher MAX vol. 3: Mother Russia

This is more like it, so far this is my favorite volume of the series. Maybe it's the fact that it takes more of a political espionage type theme, with a cameo appearance by the MAX universe's Nick Fury. While it might not have solved all the issues I've had with the Punisher character, it's certainly a step in the right direction. The supporting character of the Galina, and the partner, really helped adding to the depth of the story and the psyche of the Punisher without going overboard with supporting characters like the Kitchen Irish did. While the sequences in the war rooms were not nearly as enthralling, the politics was still worked into the story quite well, and again much better than how the Kitchen Irish was. Next up is Up is Down and Black is White. 8.0/10

Total:

Comic books: 9

Trade paperbacks: 19

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 1, 2, and 3; The Authority by Ellis/Hitch/Millar/Quietly Volumes 1 (Relentless) and 2 (Under New Management) and 3 (Transfer of Power); Batman: Year One; Batman: The Long Halloween; Planetary vol 1 (All Over the World and Other Stories), vol. 2 (The Fourth Man), and vol. 3 (Leaving the 20th Century), Planetary Crossing Worlds (The Crossover specials); Planetary 19-26; Batman: The Man Who Laughs; Frank Miller's Daredevil: The Man Without Fear; RONIN; JOKER; Deadpool #1; Punisher Max vol. 1-3

Marvel Knights: Angel #1 - I guess I missed this series when it was first being published. Stumbled across the entire run on the shelf this past week, when I didn't have anything new in my pull file. The writing is terribly corny at parts, and it's tough to look past the glaring flaws in continuity, but underneath all of that is a strangely appealing story about a kid who doesn't know why his body is turning on him. This is a five-issue mini, and I can already tell how it's going to play out just from the way everything's been set up, but I fully intend to see it through anyway. A big part of the reason is Adam Pollina's artwork. I've been aware of him for ages, appreciating him from a distance, but this is the first time I've seriously inspected one of his books. It's downright gorgeous and refreshingly original. I love the exaggerated bodies and bizarre accents he grants to each character, and he sets a scene like few others. Angel wouldn't be worth a second glance without his aid

7/10

Daredevil: Noir #1 - I know, the premise alone sounds like an exercise in redundancy. The regular Daredevil series has been an excellent example of modern noir for years now, why bother giving it an out-of-continuity, genre-specific mini-series? (Man, that's a lot of hyphens) Strangely enough, it's actually worth a closer look. Tomm Coker's artwork is breathtaking, and could easily carry the show by its lonesome. Sharp, vivid linework, beautiful decaying cityscapes in the background, efficient use of pointillism and constant throwbacks to the early days of comics abound, and I couldn't get enough. The story's no slouch, either - it's both familiar and foreign. Matt still has the same powers, but he's a private eye instead of a lawyer. He still wears red, but the costume looks more homemade. As someone who's getting really sick of all the retellings going on these days, it's nice to see one story that can manage to do so without making me yawn.

8/10

Deadpool: Suicide Kings #1 - I've never been a frothing Deadpool fanboy, but I had nothing else in mind when the guy at the counter suggested I pick up the last remaining issue left on the shelf and I'm glad I did. This won't make you go into deep thought or anything, but sometimes it's nice to shut off your brain and climb on board a roller coaster. Suicide Kings reminds me of the early days of Spider-Man, when you could just jump in and have some fun without worrying about a big, heavy melodrama falling into your lap. Of course, there weren't quite as many guns, deaths or explosions in those old issues as there are here, but some things have to change with the times. I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record by this point, but the big star of this show was the artwork. Carlo Barberi is a great compliment to the character and the tone of the story - he never takes himself too seriously, and that's liberating. All around a fun little package.

7/10

Also, two contributions to IIWY? this week: The Flash: Rebirth #1 and Dead Romeo #1

Comics: 63, TPB: 5

Deadpool #5: :D

This is the Deadpool I like. Witty banter, getting out of situations by the seat of his pants, explosions, along with womens and, just for the hell of it, zombie womens. Some very amusing faces from Deadpool, including one I want to icon at some point. Great read.

Executive Assistant Iris #0: I'm thinking I might end up following this on a regular basis. The story's a nice little setup, and the sketches have me eager to see where the rest of it may lead. Plus, I'm a sucker for Asian and pretty.

Green Lantern #32, 24-26: Finally caught up. And things? Make a lot more sense now.

So, is Laira Sinestro's daughter?

Killer of Demons #1: ...Ehh. I like the premise, but I just can't get into it. Might flip through another issue before I pick it up next time. We'll see.

Secret Six #2-4: ...Okay, so I don't know most of the characters in here. But I like what I'm seeing. Bane, Scandal Savage, and Mad Hatter especially. The others, at the moment, I can't say one way or the other. But I'm probably going to be picking up the rest to get me current.

Comic Books:: 33

TPBs: 19

Graphic Novels: 2

Motion Comic: 1

RASL is a big, black and white comic from Jeff Smith, who is probably most well known for writing and drawing Bone. Whilst most of his works have been intended for a younger audience, RASL is Smith's first attempt (as far as I know) at writing a book strictly for adults.

The first three issues were collected in a trade late last year. I picked it up on a whim (mainly because of how much I liked Bone) and found myself really getting into it. Basically it’s about a former scientist who travels between dimensions to steal paintings. One day he mucks up, and finds himself being chased by a strange lizard faced man. It’s hard to explain, just because so much of the story hasn’t been revealed yet, but I really like what I’ve read so far.

Suicide Squad: From the Ashes #1-8-Holy shit! Why did I wait a year to read this? Ostrander + Suicide Squad = Total fucking awesomeness. The art was uneven throughout but I wasn't really reading it for the art anyway to be honest. I loved the new characters and the old ones. I loved Eiling, Waller and Rick Flag. It's like Ostrander went to his editor and said :"Tell me where the whole team is and what's happened to them in the past 20 years." and then he fit them into the book...if they were alive. I had a blast reading this book and it would have been perfect for me with better art. 9/10.

Total

Comic books: 104

Trade paperbacks: 4

Graphic novels: 0

Green Lantern #36, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis#6, Green Lantern Corps #32, Faces of Evil: Prometheus Oneshot, Black Lightning: Year One #1, Haunted Tank #2, No Hero #3, Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising #1, Spider-Man Fear Itself, Dark Delicacies #1, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke Oneshot, Green Lantern #37, Myspace Dark Horse Presents Vol. 1, Final Crisis #7, Final Crisis Revelations #5, Faces of Evil: Kobra Oneshot, 1st Issue Special #1, 1st Issue Special #5, 1st Issue Special #6, Amazing Spider-Man #584, Dark Avengers #1, Elephantmen #15, Hellblazer #251, War Machine #2, The Mighty A #1, Faces of Evil: Solomon Grundy Oneshot, Green Lantern Corps #33, Jersey Gods #1, R.E.B.E.Ls #1, Batman #682, Batman #683, Batman #684, Batman #685, Captain America #44, Captain America #45, Captain America #46, Daredevil #111, Daredevil #112, Daredevil #113, Daredevil #114, Daredevil #115, Hotwire: Requiem for the Dead #1, Batman: The Brave and the Bold #1, Green Lantern #38, The Walking Dead #54, The Walking Dead #55, R.E.B.E.L.S #2, Green Lantern Corps #34, Batman and the Outsiders #13, Robin #178, Detective #851, Batman #686, Battle for the Cowl: Gotham Gazette #1, Hotwire: Requiem for the Dead #2, City of Dust #5, Battle for the Cowl #1, Walking Dead #56, Walking Dead #57, Walking Dead #58, Secret Invasion: Inhumans #1, Secret Invasion: Inhumans #2, Secret Invasion: Inhumans #3, Secret Invasion: Inhumans #4, Savage Dragon #132, Savage Dragon #133, Savage Dragon #134, Savage Dragon #135, Savage Dragon #136, Savage Dragon #137, Savage Dragon #138, Savage Dragon #139, Authority Prime #1, Authority Prime #2, Authority Prime #3, Authority Prime #4, Authority Prime #5, Authority Prime #6, Punisher War Journal #19, Punisher War Journal #20, Punisher War Journal #21, Punisher War Journal #22, Punisher War Journal #23, Punisher War Journal #24, Punisher War Journal #25, Punisher War Journal Annual #1, Justice Society of America #21, Justice Society of America #22, Justice Society of America #23, Justice Society of America #24, Night Force #1, Night Force #2, Night Force #3, Night Force #4, Night Force #5, Night Force #6, Night Force #7, Essential Tomb of Dracula Volume 1, Essential Howard the Duck Volume 1, Essential Marvel Horror Volume 1, Suicide Squad: From the Ashes #1, Suicide Squad: From the Ashes #2, Suicide Squad: From the Ashes #3, Suicide Squad: From the Ashes #4, Suicide Squad: From the Ashes #5, Suicide Squad: From the Ashes #6, Suicide Squad: From the Ashes #7, Suicide Squad: From the Ashes #8