The minor annoyances thread

Missy

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck you cable company. You have a technical error that raises my bill $22. Key words: You, Error. Yet when you fix this error, my bill is somehow still $13 higher. When I ask why, you say you fixed the error. Yet somehow, my next bill will be at the normal price. Yeah, $13, but still. You are all asshats. This is all.

• 3 weeks later...

So, is there something in some kind of manual that dictates IT guys have to talk to people like they're brain damaged four-year-olds? No, as a matter of fact, I don't have my Windows certification. I must have had something better to do that day.

Well, we know that the fire alarms in the building work now. One of my roommates was cooking somethng with oil involved and he wasn't watching it, and then it kinda set off the alarm. We found a way to manually turn it off now, I guess, and he's keeping a closer eye on it, but that was a fun wild scramble.

I love whenever I search for "cheap, healthy meals" and I get 84 pages assuming that I'm the Iron Chef.

If I knew how to sauté things, I wouldn't be using Google.

Saute = throw everything into a wok or pan on high, coat the bottom with some sort of oil, and cook it all together, moving everything with a spatula. Like stir-fry.

Close but there's more to it than that. For a good saute, you'll need a fair sized pan. Don't use a wok. You want the food to make a single layer and enough space that you can move around the ingredients. Make sure to keep your pieces small, heat your oil or butter first and you'll add your food just a bit before it starts to smoke. Also, you only need enough oil or butter to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Too much can be counter-productive to the cooking process.

That's weird on several levels, and also why I haven't let anyone in my family near my bank statements in 6 years. If they want to know they have to ask me (for the sake of setting my cash up for uni I did tell my parents). Also maybe it's time to shop elsewhere?

Spent much of last week and today working side my side with a card-carrying member of the BNP, who for you yanks are our ultra-right wing single policy racist party (they want all non-whites & immigrants forcibly removed). For all the slurs against women, gays and non-whites I've heard in my job I've never actually met someone who might mean them in anger, but it turned out that the subject itself never came up and he was polite, personable, hard working and capable. Which I guess is why I was so disappointed when I found out. It's a good job our Polish lads are on holiday, could have caused issues.