Things you want

Stavros

A car radio that I can actually plug my ipod into. Gotta buy a whole load of BS to do this in my new car, which irritates me a little. Plus the car came manual-less, so I can't figure out how to change the radio presets to Radio four, I have to keep doing it manually. Why on earth my aunt set the thing to Radio 1 and four other abysmal stations is beyond me.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A car radio that I can actually plug my ipod into. Gotta buy a whole load of BS to do this in my new car, which irritates me a little. Plus the car came manual-less, so I can't figure out how to change the radio presets to Radio four, I have to keep doing it manually. Why on earth my aunt set the thing to Radio 1 and four other abysmal stations is beyond me.

What car is it? There might be instructions online. And for the iPod, does the car have a casset player? There are very inexpensive iPod to Casset adapters on the marker.

What car is it? There might be instructions online. And for the iPod, does the car have a casset player? There are very inexpensive iPod to Casset adapters on the marker.

It's a Ford Ka, and I've figured out what I need, the complete kit is available on Amazon. The car does have an existing tape deck but I suffered for 4 years using a mp3 to tape thing, they're generally utter crap for music quality and fail within 6 months of buying them. I also got a radio output thing but the problem with that is that its complicated to set up and you have to constantly retune on long journey's to try and keep a clear frequency. It was hell not being able to upgrade, but back then I had a company vehicle, so altering it on my own dime wouldn't be worth it long term. This time I'm doing it right, installing the kit and getting a new radio with an aux and possibly a USB.

Really? I've had the same adapter for 3 years now and it works perfectly. The whole installing a new kit with a aux and possibly a USB intrigues me. Would you be willing to share a link to the new kit you are going to purchase?

It's nothing too fancy, the kit itself is specific to the model of car, because it doesn't have a straightforward car radio slot as it stands- Fitting kit

The stereo itself is something along these lines- Sony CDX-GT440U Car Stereo with USB/CD/MP3 Aux Input

Haven't nailed that down as the definite model though. Might go cheaper and forgo the USB, since I can't see the point of it if I'll be controlling the track from the ipod anyway. All it would be doing is charging the thing, and you can get in car chargers cheap elsewhere.

Also might let my brother cook something up, I could probably get an amp in the dash for similar money. Only thing is that eliminates being able to use the radio at all, which isn't ideal.

I mean, I'm not knocking using a tape thing, it's just that I went through three in short order and they all had issues with speakers cutting out to the point where I just threw them away. It's not a long term solution for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...