The Blackest Night

prez

Wait, so they completely undermined Sinestro?

Fucking lame.

No, they did the sensible thing in the story. Making Sinestro the beacon of light and life makes absolutely no sense, and reeks of blatant fanboyism. They did the right thing by showing that Sinestro's ego is his downfall.

I'll entirely disagree. Having Hal "Threesome with Huntress and Zarda" Jordan be the savior is totally in line with DC's current trend of GRIMDARK Silver Age Fanboyism. Sinestro saving the day is intelligent, original storytelling.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll entirely disagree. Having Hal "Threesome with Huntress and Zarda" Jordan be the savior is totally in line with DC's current trend of GRIMDARK Silver Age Fanboyism. Sinestro saving the day is intelligent, original storytelling.

Wait, so Hal's not allowed to be a hero anymore? In a Green Lantern-centric event?

And Sinestro being the embodiment of all goodness makes sense?

I'll admit that having Sinestro save the universe is an awesome idea, but not in this situation. Not by merging with the literal life and goodness of the universe. Sinestro is a badass villain/antihero, not a Christ figure.

Hell, Hal didn't even become the savior either; he shared the power with the other heroes. He didn't even do his "I AM HAL JORDAN AND I WILL BEAT YOUR FACE IN" routine; he just helped Black Hand come back to life, and everything else ran by itself.

Honestly, I think the threesome line should just be ignored from now on. Geoff Johns didn't even write that, and at least one DC writer (Gail Simone) has cried foul on it. I mean, do we really think that Cry For Justice is the best example of the DCU?

blackestnight801718.jpg

I haven't been reading Blackest Night, so I'm curious: at what point did it stop being a story and became fan fiction?

Pretty much when the substitute lanterns showed up. (Issue 6? 7? something like that) Blackest Night is pretty much a giant geek-out thrillride.

That being said, it actually makes sense when read in context.

When did they ever say that white represented "goodness"?

Okay, granted, that's a slight bit of extrapolation. Technically, yeah, the white light includes all seven colors, but it also seems to combine into a universal "peace." I mean, if Nekron is (basically) the ultimate evil, then the white light would be ultimate good.(ish)

Also, there's the fact that Dove, who was essentially a walking talking White Lantern Battery way before the Trespasser ever showed up, achieved her power through ultimate peace and love of life. That's basically about as "good" as it gets.

What I was getting at is that Sinestro, who seems to thrive on putting others under his heel, doesn't make sense as a White Lantern. And, to be fair, in BN #8, Ganthet told Hal that the white light would reject him as well (as it eventually did).

Guest dstroketheterminator

In Asia, white is associated with mourning or funerals. It would have been cool that since the Black Lanterns are just the animated corpses of the dead, the white lanterns were their souls, for lack of a better term, angels.

I think that Sinestro being the hero would have made sense in the relationship that life should have with death. From Death's (better term for it would be emptiness) point of view, all life is the invader. Life is disrupting the perfect peace of nothingness. It's like Buddhist philosophy, honestly. Life is suffering. The ultimate goal is to escape the circle of samsara, the pain of reincarnation and experience nirvana. Nirvana literally means nothingness.

Sinestro represents life far, far more than Hal Jordan. Jordan may be your hero, but Sinestro is a better example of what the BLs would view life as. A brash, arrogant, deadly invader. Johns had a chance to put some real shades of gray into the piece by saying that, yes, we are the invaders, yes we have disturbed the very order of the universe by our mere existence. Instead, Johns told another story about how great the heroes of old are. Rather than challenging the readers, he gave us the same old good and evil.

I think that Sinestro being the hero would have made sense in the relationship that life should have with death. From Death's (better term for it would be emptiness) point of view, all life is the invader. Life is disrupting the perfect peace of nothingness. It's like Buddhist philosophy, honestly. Life is suffering. The ultimate goal is to escape the circle of samsara, the pain of reincarnation and experience nirvana. Nirvana literally means nothingness.

Sinestro represents life far, far more than Hal Jordan. Jordan may be your hero, but Sinestro is a better example of what the BLs would view life as. A brash, arrogant, deadly invader. Johns had a chance to put some real shades of gray into the piece by saying that, yes, we are the invaders, yes we have disturbed the very order of the universe by our mere existence. Instead, Johns told another story about how great the heroes of old are. Rather than challenging the readers, he gave us the same old good and evil.

See, that's the way a villain would view the story. Like you said, that's how the Black Lanterns view it all. (Or maybe the way the Marvel Universe would do it

<ahttp://forums.earth-2.net/uploads/emoticons/default_tongue.png' alt=':P'>) But this is a tale in the DC Universe. I like my distinctions between good and evil; they're what make it fun. I don't want my superheroes to be morally gray; I want them to be good. For the morally gray stuff, I go somewhere else, not the DCU.

See, that's the way a villain would view the story. Like you said, that's how the Black Lanterns view it all. (Or maybe the way the Marvel Universe would do it

<ahttp://forums.earth-2.net/uploads/emoticons/default_tongue.png' alt=':P'> ) But this is a tale in the DC Universe. I like my distinctions between good and evil; they're what make it fun. I don't want my superheroes to be morally gray; I want them to be good. For the morally gray stuff, I go somewhere else, not the DCU.

If they're going to publish grim and dark crap like Cry for Justice, I see no reason why this story couldn't have been given a little complexity.

EDIT: And the life Entity's name is Trespasser, for crying out loud! It's like they wanted both the invader angle and the immutable goodness of life, which just... doesn't work.

DOUBLE EDIT: And having Sinestro save the day doesn't make the heroes less good, at all. We still have a right to exsist, that's where Nekron's logic falls down. Sinestro would have just given us a finale that was challenging and deep, not White Lantern Fan Fiction and Silver Age Nostalgia.

If they're going to publish grim and dark crap like Cry for Justice, I see no reason why this story couldn't have been given a little complexity.

EDIT: And the life Entity's name is Trespasser, for crying out loud! It's like they wanted both the invader angle and the immutable goodness of life, which just... doesn't work.

DOUBLE EDIT: And having Sinestro save the day doesn't make the heroes less good, at all. We still have a right to exsist, that's where Nekron's logic falls down. Sinestro would have just given us a finale that was challenging and deep, not White Lantern Fan Fiction and Silver Age Nostalgia.

Just because Cry For Justice was published doesn't make it good. Personally, I rather dislike it.

I'm not actually sure if the entity is actually called Trespasser, or if that's the name Nekron gave it. I think it's the latter.

I disagree about the Sinestro angle, but I think that's something we're just going to disagree on. And that's cool by me. :)

Debate-ending buddy handshake? :)

Stole this from elsewhere, though it is an interesting question. Ethan Van Sciver was originally supposed to be the artist of Blackest Night, before having to leave due to Flash: Rebirth being out at the same time. Do you think the book would be the same if Van Sciver had done Blackest Night instead of Ivan Reis.

• 2 weeks later...

So, this was pointed out on Twitter, by the gimmick Music Meister account of all things. But:

4 of the 12 resurrections have direction connections to hawks, of all things. Hawk, Hawkman, Hawkgirl and Osiris. Osiris being a hawk-god in Egypt's myths. Does it mean something? I highly doubt it, but it could.

Edit: And a quick wiki search shows me that this is wrong:

Osiris was a ram. Horus was the hawk.