Disney Buys Marvel Comics

Dan

I don't see Marvel characters fitting in very well with Kingdom Hearts. Though, if they tried to translate the styles of the art into a video game (Wonderful Land of Oz, hello Skottie Young!) into a world, then I'd definitely be interested.

KW, I'm at work, tell me what they say in the video interview?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m about half way through, but so far it’s the kind of corporate speak you’d expect. A lot of words about “expanding the brand” and stuff like that, but nothing particularly concrete.

I don't know, I don't think there's anything here to be alarmed about. It's so generalised that it's hard to feel one way or another.

Does this mean all future movies based on Marvel movies will have to be rated G or PG?

Well, for one, I’m pretty sure certain characters have been, and will continue to be, licensed by other companies. So I doubt Disney would be able to do much there.

But as for future Marvel movies made by Marvel Studios, I doubt it. The two movies they’ve made so far haven’t been particularly violent anyway, so I don’t know if Marvel was even planning to make anything with a higher rating than PG.

Also, if you thought Marvel memorabilia was decently priced before, try going into a Disney store.

I haven't been in a disney store in over two years, is it still as tacky and crappy as it was?

But this probably means that we'll be getting more cartoons of the big Marevl characters, and probably an avengers cartoon.

This is a good time to say I don't really read Marvel, and don't like their figures.

Also, Kingdom hearts takes place in the Disney and Square universes, so I don't see them going to try and jimmy in some Marvel characters, I do see them making more kid comics, and increase brand awareness.

I think Disney will keep Marvel the way it is, maybe make things more productive, but they won't kiddify Marvel, they want to make money first and foremost.

There seems to be alot of ignorance all over the Internet, about this. Disney is a studio like any other. They have been licensing out Marvel cartoons from the 60's and 90's for some time now (X-Men's show is a big seller for us) and it just makes sense for the company. They do not do only G rated fare as by using other divisions they have made such things as Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo, High Fidelity, The Sixth Sense, Good Morning, Vietnam, Scary Movie, Kill Bill, The Crow among others. Disney owns such companies and divisons as Pixar Animation Sudios, Muppets Studio, ESPN, ABC, Hollywood Pictures, Touchstone Pictures, Miramax, Lifetime, Hollywood Records and MANY others. It's just a new arm of a very large company.

This may also help Disney & Marvel as neither have been performing as well as in the past(Sans Marvel's film returns). Disney will not have Spider-Man save the Jonas Brothers or anything silly like that. Warner Brothers owns DC Comics but you don't see Wonder Woman having lunch with Tweety bird... and if something like DOES happen its a few second gag in Looney Tunes cartoon.

The possibility of Marvel properties in the parks are really the only possible intrusions I can foresee. As it happened for a couple of years with the Power Rangers when we got them from Fox. If they do come to the parks this may mess with Universal as Spider-man and other Marvel Properties have been in those parks for some time.

-Skyler

Mostly economic blather. It's focused towards the shareholders, not the general public.

Essentially, Marvel will still do its thing, and Disney won't be putting its brand onto Marvel's comics, but Disney will utilize Marvel characters in their theme parks (nothing specific on that).

So, essentially, Marvel is using Disney's empire to spread their properties while Disney is utilizing Marvel's properties to get more profit out of their empire.

He doesn't say what actual effect Disney will have on Marvel's properties or vice-versa.

I will say that the nice thing I'm hoping for is that we get a decent continuation of the Gargoyles comic now that we no longer need to worry about licensing and all that like when SLG was releasing it. Other than that, I don't think there will be much change for either company. Disney has any of three studios it can release something out of (Walt Disney Pictures, Miramax, and Touchstone). Touchstone and Miramax release pg-13 and R rated movies all the time. Hell, even Disney released Pirates of the Caribbean which was PG-13. Marvel's film division will probably get some new blood but I doubt that we'll have a massive overhaul of the structure.

BTW, does this mean that we can see The Incredibles get retitled Fantastic Four?

Newsarama is saying that Disney is following the business model they have with Pixar where Disney is mainly hands-off.

Um... not exactly. Edwin Catmull is the President of both Pixar and Disney Animation Studios; the two are essentially the same subsection of the company.

Oh, and in response to the "Disney is just another company acquiring more properties" argument:

Fox is also one of those companies, and the stuff they put out generally sucks. They acquired the rights to the X-Men, Daredevil, Elektra, and Fantasic Four films. Look where that's gotten us. They hit the jackpot with X1 & X2, but after that? Not so much.

Newsarama is saying that Disney is following the business model they have with Pixar where Disney is mainly hands-off. Also, Pixar's CEO has already met with some of the Marvel personnel and ideas are already starting to form out of this. I am suddenly hoping for a Disney/Pixar Power Pack movie.

That would RULE, although Power Pack get most of their mileage out of meeting Marvel U characters, and they wouldn't be able to use Spidey, the FF or X-men. I guess a Pixar movie featuring Power Pack, Hulk, Iron Man, and some other Marvel stalwarts like the Avengers or Heroes for Hire would be pretty damn cool.

Ganked from Twitter:

Paul_Dini: I dibs writing the Donald Duck/Howard the Duck team-up.

@BrianReed: Disney buys Marvel. Look for an animatronic singing & dancing @brianmbendis in It's A Small World starting spring 2010

@FrankTieri: Yeah, Disney's gonna love me.

@JoeQuesada: Everybody take a deep breath, all your favorite comics remain unchanged and Tom Brevoort remains grouchy

@StephenWacker: Working on my Howard the Duck pitch!

warrenellis: so I got this phone call from Joe Quesada and it was just the sound of him rubbing himself with money and now I am confused

warrenellis: Hm. Have been instructed to make Bambi a member of the X-Men.

warrenellis: I'm sure my new corporate overlords will enjoy the forthcoming graphic novel ASTONISHING X-MEN: DOE-EYED MEAT GEYSER.

ThatKevinSmith: RT @BrianLynch First Disney/Marvel collaboration: Hannah Montana refuses to reveal secret identity, goes to war with Iron Man.

warrenellis: Hm. Have been instructed to make Bambi a member of the X-Men.

warrenellis: I'm sure my new corporate overlords will enjoy the forthcoming graphic novel ASTONISHING X-MEN: DOE-EYED MEAT GEYSER.

ThatKevinSmith: RT @BrianLynch First Disney/Marvel collaboration: Hannah Montana refuses to reveal secret identity, goes to war with Iron Man.

=D

That makes me happy.

Ganked from Twitter:

I would read that just to see Miley Cyrus get her face repulser rayed off.

One thing I haven't heard about is how this affects Disney's agreement with Boom! Studios. Are they going to lose their license now? Conflict of interests.