Episode 78

RSS

The most controversial era of World's Finest Podcast begins here, as James and Mike start their discussion of the divisive Teen Titans! First, Cyborg leaves the team in a huff ("Divide and Conquer"), then Starfire's conniving sister pops up ("Sisters"). Next, Slade pits the three-member HIVE against the heroes ("Final Exam"), and it's up to the team to stop the living embodiment of thunder and lightning ("Forces of Nature"). And rounding out the six reviews, Cyborg must fight for what makes him human ("The Sum of His Parts"), and Raven has to deal with her inner demons ("Nevermore"). [ 2:34:23 || 70.7 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.worldsfinestpodcast.com/episodes/wfp_078.mp3

The most controversial era of World's Finest Podcast begins here, as James and Mike start their discussion of the divisive Teen Titans! First, Cyborg leaves the team in a huff ("Divide and Conquer"), then Starfire's conniving sister pops up ("Sisters"). Next, Slade pits the three-member HIVE against the heroes ("Final Exam"), and it's up to the team to stop the living embodiment of thunder and lightning ("Forces of Nature"). And rounding out the six reviews, Cyborg must fight for what makes him human ("The Sum of His Parts"), and Raven has to deal with her inner demons ("Nevermore"). [ 2:34:23 || 70.7 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.worldsfinestpodcast.com/episodes/wfp_078.mp3

BOOYAH!!!

Ah, I forgot about that! Thanks for correcting me.

During the episode I mentioned the Titan Lords, or something like that. Well, a listener by the name of Christian Honore drew this image of the Teen Tyrants for us!

teen-tyrants.jpg

I like that evil Raven is in her white outfit!

In the comics the hawkgirl and hawkman wear Nth metal harnesses or belts which allow flight, the wings are artificial additions. This is brought back when Carter Hall appears in JLU, since he is human.

I think in the comics the original thanagarians don't have natural wings like their DCAU counterparts right? They're just human-type people who use hawk-motif technology. The hawk-police have non-organic looking wings, and Thanagarian Shayera Thal retired from superheroing to be a cop in Detroit. She probably couldn't do that with big old wings on her back.

The 84-85 Superfriends (The Legendary Super Powers Show) added Firestorm as the young interest character (the Wonder Twins Marvin & Wendy were gone). The next year, (Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians), Cyborg was added as well. There was also a TT drug awareness ad in planning, but I don't know if it ever actually aired. Robin was replaced by a character called the Protector, due to licensing issues with Superfriends.

Also, there were 3 Teen Titans episodes as part of the Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure. Robin was currently in a Batman comic, so he did not appear. Otherwise it was the classic lineup - Aqualad, Speedy, Kid Flash, and Wonder Girl - none of whom, of course, were regulars in the series we're actually talking about. (At one point, Wally West was grumbling to Linda Park about why Green Arrow's sidekick got to be Speedy, instead of Wally.)

I do have to say, even though this series was based on the Wolfman-Perez lineup sans Donna Troy and Wally West, I was hoping there would have been one more character added. This show would have been such a great match for early Impulse (Bart, not Iris). Granted, the innocence (cluelessness) about how the world works was largely Starfire's thing, but I still think it would have been such a great match.

I'm posting this e-mail in response to one of the e-mails in the ep. THis way, if it's too long to read, Mike and James can point folks here.

Aloha, Mike & James

I thought I'd answer the question about the Flash's vacuum exposure in an e-mail (I had chimed in on the forums earlier. I'll repost this if you want to forgo the long-winded explanation). As I've never heard James go by Jim, I'll forgo the Star Trek reference. I'm not an astronaut, but I am a doctor, which should qualify me as a science type. Short version - they got the science right.

There are 3 issues - pressure, temperature, and oxygen.

As far as pressure, you will not explode. Soft tissues can swell, but this is reversible. You may have some ruptured capillaries in your skin and eyes. Saliva may boil away. The most acute concern is that if you try to hold your breathe, your lungs will rupture as the air forces it's way out. Watch when Flash is blown out, though - his mouth was open the whole time, exactly what he should have done. Also, keep in mind that the pressure difference is about the same as that between diving at 33 feet and sea level, so the bends are a possibility.

For temperature, space isn't technically cold, because temperature is the average heat in a substance. No substance. We lose heat 3 ways. Radiation (giving off infrared), conduction (hold a cold can of soda, and your hand gets cold as heat is conducted into the can), and convection (windchill is the best example). The only one that works in space is radiation, and that's slow. Other things kill you long before this will. Oh, and you can also get a nasty sunburn from exposure to UV with no atmosphere to block it - especially for redheads.

Oxygen is the biggie. Loss of oxygen typically causes loss of consciousness in 10-15 seconds (this is based on a subject in a leaking pressure suit in vacuum at NASA's Manned Space Flight Center in 1965). From there, you can develop increasing swelling, sunburn, the bends, etc. Based on the little human data, coupled with animal data, if the subject is re pressurized within 90 seconds, survival is typical, with most of the damage being reversible.

"Maid of Honor" had the science much better than most movies.

Chris McEvoy

For those wondering, Mike really does say "Buy A Shirt" in response to everything, I must have heard him say that about 2 dozen times when I was at his place.

Loving the spinoff guys, makes not having WFP bareable :P

For those wondering, Mike really does say "Buy A Shirt" in response to everything, I must have heard him say that about 2 dozen times when I was at his place.

HA! That's true, isn't it?!

Loving the spinoff guys, makes not having WFP bareable :P

In about a week or so I'm going to check the show's numbers. I'm really interested to see if they drop at all.

So, if you were floating around in space near Earth, you could get radiation burn from the Sun?

Absolutely. I see a lot of families recently arrived on island from California, Texas, Kansas, Georgia - and always warn them about the sun. The irony is, it's cooler here in Hawaii (usually under 95) in the summer than a lot of places on the mainland, but you still burn faster here, because the light enters at a steeper angle, so goes through less atmosphere, and is less filtered than most places on the mainland - and we're still down at sea level. You can burn much more quickly up Haleakala on Maui (10,000 feet up) or Mauna Loa or Mauna Kea on the Big Island, because there's even less atmosphere to filter the UV. Think about all of the concerns with the ozone layer thinning - out in space, there is no ozone layer, so you can easily get a second degree sunburn (blistering immediately, as opposed to the first-degree burns most of us are familiar with, where you're pink for several days, then start peeling). I honestly don't know if you can get a third degree burn from the level of UV in space, but I would assume that you can, given enough time - although probably not in the 90-120 seconds before you can no longer be resusitated. I don't know if you'd get a second degree burn in that time either, but a first-degree burn is certainly realistic. And of course, being a ginger, Flash is likely to burn pretty easily anyways. Still, only a small area of flesh was exposed (Swim shirts, which are mostly spandex, are about SPF 50, and his costume is likely equivalent), and we can chalk the rest up to high-metabolism healing.

• 2 months later...