The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

DC just put out a recommended reading order for Blackest Night.

blackest_night_ad-2.jpg

About a year late on that one. I guess this helps the people who bought the whole thing in collected form? It'd be crazy, going back and forth between seven different hardcovers, but I guess it's better than reading them out of order.

The whole event seems so big, why don't they release a massive paperback like they did with CoIE or the Imperiex Wars?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DC just put out a recommended reading order for Blackest Night.

blackest_night_ad-2.jpg

About a year late on that one. I guess this helps the people who bought the whole thing in collected form? It'd be crazy, going back and forth between seven different hardcovers, but I guess it's better than reading them out of order.

The whole event seems so big, why don't they release a massive paperback like they did with CoIE or the Imperiex Wars?

Oh, they probably will. The earliest it will come is when the GL movie hits. If not then, certainly in time for GL 2.

Here's an excerpt from an interview that Kevin Smith recently conducted with CBR:

It really looked like a lot of the ire directed at the series came from the scene that was a callback to "Batman: Year One" where you revealed that he'd lost control of his bladder in the famous "You have eaten well" scene.

And editorial signs off on it. These get vetted by not just my editor, but by a bunch of editors – the entire Batman group and then more people above them who go through going, "Is there anything weird here?" Believe me, every one of my scripts goes through that process. And thank God, because other things got knocked that never made it to the fucking page. But by the time the Batman bladder thing made it to the page, it had been vetted by a bunch of people who had been doing this for years, and not one of them was like "Oh my God! We're going to shake things up with this!" They were all like, "Yeah, this is fine...and wait until you see when we bring Batman back from the caveman days!" That was the big news.

So when some people went apeshit – and literally, it's just some people, like two websites who are buddies. So when those dudes started picking on me, going, "He made Batman wet his pants! How dare he?!?!" I was just like, "Even a fireman – a fireman who is a trained professional with explosives and works in the hottest flames and all kind of heat – told me, "Yeah...that's what happens. Bladder spasms. You can't help it. When you get hit by a blast of heat, that fucking happens." That doesn't matter to some people. You give them scientific proof that it's a literal occurrence – it's not like I'm making Batman go pee pee in his pants, though that may be your perspective as an 11-year-old intellect. But this is a real occurrence, and they don't want to hear that.

When I saw the outrage, I was like, "Where is this coming from?" because nobody I know would ever behave like that as a rational adult. But I forgot. They weren't adults. It was the next generation, or maybe two or three generations removed from where I was. And they were saying, "This isn't any Batman I've ever seen." But meanwhile, most cats on my Twitter feed who were my age and reading comics back then were going, "This is the best Batman I've read in a while" – not because it's any good! It's just because it was the Batman they grew up reading, and nobody writes it like that anymore. That's all it was. I found myself a little niche, and it wasn't intentional or targeted. It's just the only Batman I want to write.

I don't want to write Grant Morrison's Batman. Grant Morrison writes Grant Morrion's Batman! If anything, I'd want to write Grant Morrison's old Batman because on the new stuff he's doing a brilliant job and needs no fucking assistance. But I loved his characterization from "JLA." I borrowed that for my Batman. I borrowed from Rogers and Englehart. I took from Alan Moore's treatment of Batman and Neil Gaiman's Batman. Those are the writers that I loved when I was first reading comics or when I got back into Batman after falling out with comics in high school circa '88 or '89. I got back into comics because I remember there was an ad in "Rolling Stone," a DC Comics subscription ad timed with the "Batman" movie release. All it said was "Gritty. Graphic. Grown Up." It was this tits-up picture of a stern-looking Batman. It wasn't the Brian Bolland Batman, but it was this image they put on a lot of t-shirts at that point. I wish I could remember which artist drew it. But somebody sent a shot across the bow saying, "Comics aren't for children anymore," and I got right back into them and read "Dark Knight," "The Cult," "Camelot 3000," "Mage," "Grimjack" and "The Killing Joke," which had come out right then. And I read it all going "This is literature. This is literature with pictures in it. This has nothing to do with the Riddler and Commissioner Gordon and Chief O'Hara from the TV show when I was a child. This shit is flat out Mickey Spillane, but they just happen to wear tights." So I got way deep into it, and those were the writers that influenced me. When I write my Batman, I'm trying to ape those guys. Some people are like "You're not doing a very good fucking job" but whatever. [Laughter] I like it!

I'm done with Smith. Maybe I've outgrown his humor, but he's really turned into a hack these last few years. And that he can't take criticism, that he openly makes fun of his readers, that makes me ill. Best of all, though, he bitches about their "11-year-old intellect," yet in the statement preceding the one quoted above he showed his 11-year-old intellect with his crassness: "I've been reading Batman since you were cum in your father's balls."

No one in a position like his should be that directly crass in a public interview about a character like Batman. You don't see Johns, Morrison, Didio, Bendis, Brubaker, Fraction, or anyone else doing stupid things like that with their major hero characters. Because they're not dickbags.

The other problem is that everything he's saying about his book really makes it seem like it's just catering to his ego.

New Teen Titans omnibus? Hell yeah! :lol:

I'm currently debating whether to get the Blackest Night hardcovers now, or wait to see if they make a combined collection with the GL issues included later.

Considering its taken 4 years for Batman: Under the red hood to be combined, and how long Batman: Hush took to came out in one volume also, I think you may be waiting a while.

Also, you have to consider on the GL front, Sinestro Corps war is in 3 volumes right now (I'm counting tales as the Super-Boy story kind of gives an explanation for what he does at the end of SCW)

Oh my god Squirrel Girl just joined the new Avengers and they played it completely deadpan straight. AWESOME.

Also, I really hope at some point they have a series covering Matt Murdocks new nomadic style life, like Kung-fu crossed with classic Hulk. I also hope that they never take the character back to his New York roots, at least not fully. Resettle him elsewhere, have the odd storyline where he comes back to make an impact but overall, just restart him somewhere new.

And they also linked her romantically to Wolvie. I can't WAIT to see how they do this.

Was anyone really surprised by that? Wolverine is a total man-slut. Better not let Speedball get wind of this though, maybe that's why they keep it quiet.

Great to see her on a big team though, that lot really needed a big hitter and they don't come much bigger.