Thor v Superman

Missy

Who wins...?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Love this ish, and I don't even know what 'ish' means.

But seriously, it's gotta be Thor. Not only does he have the physical strength and speed to match Superman, but his magical abilities are enough to finish him. If this were written properly, I'd say that the two have an epic fist-fight in the style of Doomsday/Superman, with Thor finishing SUperman with a mighty blow of his hammer.

Of course, if this were written by DC & Marvel, they'd probably cop out of it by having Superman pretend to knock Thor out, and then the both of them get a hold of Mojo and force him to take them back. Or something really stupid, like have Superman win.

JLA/Avengers can kiss my dick for making Superman go over everyone and their second cousin twice removed.

Thor wins this easily. Thor has godlike magical abilities and is stronger than Superman anyway. Superman is weak to magic. Case fucking closed.

Love the build up and background stories Yoda.

I love the fact that Thor threw the first punch and I think this gives him the edge he needs. Would prefer if it wasn't in an arena, more of a rocky canyon (like where the pod race is in Phantom Menace).

So Thor in a nice contest.

Would prefer if it wasn't in an arena, more of a rocky canyon (like where the pod race is in Phantom Menace).

To tell the truth, I'm not crazy about the arena idea either. However, getting two heroes to fight isn't easy (especially two this honorable), but Mojo made the most sense as a villain. I mean, if I were a crazy dictator who ruled the people by providing them with mind-numbing TV, what better way to do it than show them the greatest fight of all time?

Would prefer if it wasn't in an arena, more of a rocky canyon (like where the pod race is in Phantom Menace).

To tell the truth, I'm not crazy about the arena idea either. However, getting two heroes to fight isn't easy (especially two this honorable), but Mojo made the most sense as a villain. I mean, if I were a crazy dictator who ruled the people by providing them with mind-numbing TV, what better way to do it than show them the greatest fight of all time?

So, you're Mongul? :ph34r:

Superman, squarely taking the strong hit on his chin, is thrown in a loop toward the far wall, where he falls with a thud to the ground. Thor is relentless, giving no room as he runs to the stunned Kryptonian. With Superman pushing himself valiently to ihs knees, Thor grounds Superman once again with a giant double axe-handle (with his hands - not his actual hammer) to the swall of his back. The Man of Steel screams his pain.

The God turns toward Mojo, opening his arms in a request for recignizition of his opponent's defeat. Superman takes this chance to take the advantage, grabbing Thor by the boot and dropping him face first, levetating to his feet. Superman, seeing the weapon of Thor, his mighty hammer, in his grasp. Superman kicks the hammer away several feet. Superman now turns to Mojo, imploring him to stop this before people die.

Thor stands gorggily, noticing by now his Hammer is gone - has been for nearly 45 seconds.

Thor dives to grab his hammer, and swings it thusly into the distracted SUperman's chest. Superman's chest burns as he realizes it's magical powers and the challenge ahead. Superman is thrown to the nearby wall once again. Superman gets up once more - and is now annoyed and determined. He charges into the god.

Superman connects several punches to Thor, aiming to disarm him of the obviously magical weapon that (to his knowlege now) is his greatest threat. Thor replies with several back, though Superman manages to avoid any strikes with His hammer.

Superman finally manages to connect with a serious hit, throwing Thor into the ground.

"Stop," Superman yells, "we are just entertainment for this twisted fool. Stop fighting, and he'll let us go!"

Thor ignores, believing New York to be in mortal danger. He raises his fist, and sends Thor flying once more. his hammer seperated. Drained from is earlier battle, He turns back into Donald Blake.

A winner declared, Thor, reunited with his hammer, gives respect to the victor. Both are returned to do battle with thier counterparts.

/yeah, sorry, I am not a big Thor fan, even less so then Superman. And there's a reason I don't write comics.

Stryfe: If you picked Superman to win, how come he has no votes? And, as much as I like your description, there is one flaw: Thor long ago abandoned his role as Dr. Blake. (It's noted in the piece I wrote.) He isn't even Jake Olson any more. He's just Thor, so I don't know if the 45 second rule still applies.

The way DC would do it: Superman laughs at Thor and beats the piss out of him

The way it would happen in the real world: Thor relentlessly hammers (no pun intended) until Superman falls. There really is no contest. Superman is good, and to hear DC tell it he is god, but Thor is a god, regardless of who tells ther story. After the fight, Thor helps Superman off, both go back to finish their business before reuniting to teach Mojo a lesson.

Winner: Thor in an easy fight.

JLA/Avengers aside, Thor wins because Superman is vulnerable to magic. It's not an easy win for Thor because of Superman's speed and heat vision, but Superman's weakness to magic proves to be his downfall.

After they are teleported back and defeat their respective enemies, Superman and Thor round up the JLA and the Avengers, who team up and thrash Mojo. Mojo then decides to stick with playing an Atari 2600 he bought off eBay rather than anger those two teams again.

The JLA/Avengers clash really didn't bug me until someone pointed out that Magic was one of Superman's weaknesses. After that, it wasn't long before logic dictated that Thor should have had it won then, just as he would now.

I had to give it to Thor here. Kingdom Come showed just how vulnerable Superman is to magic, as Captain Marvel was killing him with just those lightning strikes alone. Thor would have the same effect here. There's also the fact that Thor has been fighting in wars for like thousands of years. He's easily better trained than Superman. Superman may wind up being stronger than Thor, but not by so much that it would make the difference in a fight between them.

Gotta go with Thor here.

-Corey

I had to give it to Thor here. Kingdom Come showed just how vulnerable Superman is to magic, as Captain Marvel was killing him with just those lightning strikes alone. Thor would have the same effect here.

That's actually a very solid argument. I forgot how badly Captain Marvel beat Superman, and now I'm hyped for a possible meeting between Thor and Captain Marvel. Having used Thor in this battle, it will be a while before I use him again, but, when I do, trust that he will face Captain Marvel.

In truth, I'm quite surprised at the current numbers. Superman is getting his ass handed to him!

I donno. Like I said, I'm not a big Thor fan at all - I guess it's something presumtive to put a GOD into comic form. And Superman is a boy scout with blue tights. I don't much like EITHER of them - but I guess, to someone who's not a giant marvel person, like I, Superman is kind of the de-facto standard. I also don't read THor often, so if I missed that he doesn't have the 45 or 60 second thing, sorry to the Thor fans. And as for no votes... well, I forgot. Not that it really matters. To me, physically the fight would be even, both have weaknesses that can be exploited, and I just decided who I'd like to see win.

Personally, I didn't like the set up. But I dont' complain - I just give a reason. and I like tglancy's idea that afterwards both the Avengers and JLA beat the crap out of Mojo. Because I like large scale beatings.

Personally, I didn't like the set up.

Well, like I said, finding a legitimate reason for these two heroes to fight was a tough one. Without turning one of them evil (which is lame), there's no good reason why these two would ever trade blows -- unless they were forced to. Which they were in this scenario.

Thor = God

Superman = Alien

God pummel strong alien. God uses magic, alien weak against. God smack Alien with hammer. Big hammer. Alien tries mount offense, God not like. God smack Alien with more magic and big hammer. Alien KO'd. God tired, Alien knocked out.

Thor with the win.

Not that I am a superman fan, but I hate people who say, 'his weakness is magic, so he will lose'. Hey Yoda, next Superman vs, can you do Superman vs Sabrina the Teenage Witch? Let's see if he gets no votes against her also!!!

Melissa Joan Hart > Superman

As always, I'm not taking sides in this battle, but I do believe Superman would/could find a way to combat Thor's magic. He's toppled magical beings before, so this situation isn't new to Superman.

Max Power wrote:

but I hate people who say, 'his weakness is magic, so he will lose'.

Dude, that's a legitimate weakness for Superman. And when you figure that Thor and Superman are evenly matched in almost every other area, the only advantage one combatant may get, is the weakness of his opponent.

I don't think Superman is incapable of beating Thor because of his weakness to magic. I just believe that the weakness, combined with Thor having been a warrior for Lord knows how many centuries (or eons for that matter) make for enough of an advantage that he can beat Superman. While I referenced Kingdom Come as a prime example of how mystical lightning can damage Superman, you can also reference JLA/Avengers #2, where Superman beat Thor in a physical slugfest.

I'd be willing to bet that physically, Superman is stronger than Thor, and is a good enough fighter that a straight up punch-fest could go in Superman's favor. I don't know that Thor has ever decisively beaten the Hulk or Hercules for that matter, and Superman is easily in both of their leagues. I just think that given the advantages that Thor has magically and tactically, he can beat Superman.

Master Yoda wrote:

As always, I'm not taking sides in this battle, but I do believe Superman would/could find a way to combat Thor's magic. He's toppled magical beings before, so this situation isn't new to Superman.

Superman could indeed win this battle. Here's the scenario:

With his obvious honesty and natural nobility (Let's face it, there's no denying by even Superman's biggest critics that he's the most "pure of heart" all Superheroes with only Captain America probably coming close) , not to mention the lives of Earth hanging in the balance, Superman would be perfectly capable of lifting Thor's hammer, much like Beta Ray Bill did in Thor #337 (yeah, I know my shit :P ).

Much like in JLA/Avengers #2, Thor attempts to strike Superman with Mjolnir, but Superman catches the hammer in mid-strike. But unlike JLA/Avengers, Superman manages to wrest the hammer from a completely surprised Thor (who rarely meets someone who is not only in his strength level, but who can also lift his hammer).

With Thor's weapon in hand, Superman doesn't just have a hammer, he also now has all of Thor's powers, as the enchantment on Mjolnir isn't just that if you're worthy, you can lift the hammer. It's that you'd have the power of Thor. That would include Thor's power over the weather, thus negating Superman's weakness to the lightning strikes (which Thor could no longer summon due to Superman now possessing the Hammer. Without that weakness, and with Thor's hammer in hand, it becomes Superman with the advantage. A battle that could have gone either way with the slight advantage to Thor due to Superman's weakness to magic becomes a clear advantage for Superman who no longer has that weakness, and also has Thor's hammer. Before too long, he last man standing is the last son of Krypton.

-Corey

I don't think Superman could lift Thor's hammer because it's magical. Additionally, Superman was only able to hold the hammer for a short time. If you recall, he couldn't hand it to Thor at the end of JLA/Avengers.

I don't think Superman could lift Thor's hammer because it's magical. Additionally, Superman was only able to hold the hammer for a short time. If you recall, he couldn't hand it to Thor at the end of JLA/Avengers.

Superman couldn't lift the hammer at the end of JLA/Avengers 4 because he didn't need to. The enchantment only works when the need is there. He caught the hammer when Thor threw it to him earlier in JLA/Avengers #4. If he couldn't lift it, he'd have either immediately dropped it, or he would have fallen right over. Because of the necessity, and because he was worthy, he was able to not only catch the hammer, but use it.

That's why I said "With his obvious honesty and natural nobility......not to mention the lives of Earth hanging in the balance. If it were just a fight, Superman couldn't lift the hammer. But because there were severe consequences for not fighting, and because Superman was worthy, he in fact would be able to lift the hammer. Superman's weakness against magic doesn't mean that he can't interact with it. He was afterall able to travel to Wonder Woman's home (Themyscira I think?) on more than one occasion. If he were completely incompatible with anything magical, he wouldn't be able to make the trip. Superman's weakness for magic only means that a magical weapon can injure him easier than a purely physical one. The hammer's enchantment would indeed allow Superman to lift it when the need is there.

I would say that the enchantment may not be as strong with Superman as it otherwise would though. When Beta Ray Bill defeated Thor, he was able to lift the hammer permanently, as Odin actually had to commission a new hammer for Bill, because Bill had a legitimate claim on Thor's hammer after defeating him. Superman after defeating Thor in physical should have had a permanent ability to lift the hammer, and a legitimate claim to its ownership. The fact that Superman could hold the Hammer during the crisis situation, but couldn't lift it after things were finished, probably demonstrated the limits of the enchantment on Superman's own weakness for magic. He'd be able to lift the hammer during the fight that you proposed, but after the fight was finished and Earth was saved, the hammer's ownership would revert back to Thor, and Superman would once again be unable to lift it.

-Corey

Okay, I see where you're coming from with that, but (in my setup) both men where saving their respective worlds. Why is Superman's fight against Doomsday more perilous than Thor's with The Destroyer? What I mean is, why would Superman be able to swipe the weapon away from Thor when Thor's world was in the same jeopardy as Superman's?

Okay, I see where you're coming from with that, but (in my setup) both men where saving their respective worlds. Why is Superman's fight against Doomsday more perilous than Thor's with The Destroyer? What I mean is, why would Superman be able to swipe the weapon away from Thor when Thor's world was in the same jeopardy as Superman's?

Good point. We can chalk that up to one of two things:

1. Another anamoly between the Hammer's normal enchantment and Superman's weakness for magic interfering with it. (vis-a-vis Superman not being able to permanently hold the hammer after legitimately defeating Thor in combat when Beta Ray Bill could)

or

2. The enchantment may not be dependent on Superman's Earth being in more danger than Thor's Earth. The Hammer's enchantment isn't linked to Earth, as it was created in Asgard, and Midgard was hardly seen as an important world at the time. So with that in mind, you have one weapon and two men who have equal need to it and are equally worthy of holding it. It then simply becomes a toss-up with both men being able to hold the hammer and use it to their advantage.

-Corey

The enchantment may not be dependent on Superman's Earth being in more danger than Thor's Earth. The Hammer's enchantment isn't linked to Earth, as it was created in Asgard, and Midgard was hardly seen as an important world at the time. So with that in mind, you have one weapon and two men who have equal need to it and are equally worthy of holding it. It then simply becomes a toss-up with both men being able to hold the hammer and use it to their advantage.

That makes sense.

I like tglancy's idea that afterwards both the Avengers and JLA beat the crap out of Mojo. Because I like large scale beatings.

Actually, that was mine. ;)

Not that I am a superman fan, but I hate people who say, 'his weakness is magic, so he will lose'.

In a fight where the two warriors are evenly matched, as Thor & Superman are, that weakness is the one edge that pushed Thor to victory.