Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars...

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That and potentially the radio dramas and novelizations, though those are in a gray area. So yes.

I'm entirely cool with this. It's already been said that although the old EU isn't canon, elements from it will still show up in future Star Wars stories, notably Star Wars Rebels. So it's not as though the EU is wiped away entirely, and you can bet that we'll see Mara Jade and Grand Admiral Thrawn again someday.

Speaking of Timothy Zahn, he had this to say on Facebook earlier today:

Having now had a few days to process the news from LFL, a few thoughts:

First, since many of you are wondering, I have *not* yet been asked to write any new Star Wars books. But that doesn’t mean I won’t receive such an invitation in the future. If that happens, whether or not I accept will depend on what kind of story I’m asked to write, what input I’d have on the content, what era the story will be set in, etc. I would certainly *like* to return to the GFFA, but at the moment that’s not my decision to make.

Second, as far as I can tell from the announcement, LFL is *not* erasing the EU, but simply making it clear that nothing there is official canon. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, nor does it immediately send everything into alternate-universe status. If nothing from the Thrawn Trilogy, say, is used in future movies (and if there’s nothing in the movies that contradicts it), then we can reasonably continue to assume that those events *did* happen. It looks to me like the “Legends” banner is going to be used mainly to distinguish Story-Group-Approved canon books from those that aren’t officially canon but might still exist.

Third, even if something from the Thrawn Trilogy *does* show up in a movie in a different form, we authors are masters of spackle, back-fill, and hand-waving. For example, if Ghent appears in the movies but never mentions Thrawn, I can argue that he simply doesn’t want to talk about that era, or else has completely forgotten about it. (Which for Ghent isn’t really much of a stretch.)

Finally, there’s nothing inherently demeaning in the term “Legends.” Think back (a little farther…a little farther) to Disney’s 1950s “Davy Crockett” TV series, (a show I grew up with) which presented stories and legends about the King of the Wild Frontier. Historians have Crockett’s genuine history, but there’s nothing that says these TV adventures *didn’t* happen, right? So until and unless the legend puts Davy in Tennessee at the same time the real history puts him in Virginia, we can still believe those adventures happened. That’s how I expect it to be with the “real” Star Wars history versus the “legendary” adventures of the EU.

Bottom line: let’s all sit back and relax and see what new adventures are offered to us, both in new books and new movies. It’ll be Star Wars, and that’s what counts.

Zahn has always been an incredibly good sport about continuity changes. He seems here to be arguing that the EU might still exist—which it likely doesn't—but he's also said before that even if his stories were wiped out of canon, he'd still be cool with it.

It's Star Wars. There were maybe ten women in the original trilogy.

There are, no joke, two named female characters in the OT that have any kind of major role. Princess Leia and Mon Mothma. Maybe three if you count Oola the Twi'lek slave dancer. That was one area where the EU had a massive leg up over the movies: way more female characters, and good ones, too.

• 2 weeks later...
One of Star Wars' best pilots won't be returning in Episode VII. Denis Lawson, who played Rebel ace Wedge Antilles in the original trilogy, has confirmed that he turned down the chance to return in the upcoming Star Wars sequel. Speaking at a screening of his new movie, The Machine, Lawson said "they asked me but it just would have bored me."

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/12/5711780/star-wars-episode-7-wont-feature-wedge-antilles-actor

It's Star Wars. There were maybe ten women in the original trilogy.

There are, no joke, two named female characters in the OT that have any kind of major role. Princess Leia and Mon Mothma. Maybe three if you count Oola the Twi'lek slave dancer. That was one area where the EU had a massive leg up over the movies: way more female characters, and good ones, too.

Padme...ok, I'm trying think of other ones who weren't just her bodyguards...nope. And I'd only use good in a relative sense, it's still Portmans worst screen role by miles.

Oh, cloning scientist alien. Did any other women have speaking roles? Oh yeah, Smee.

So three then. Take that original trilogy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Awesome. Christie has come a long way on GoT in the last two years, I really enjoy her work now.

Yeah, she brings a lot more to the table than "Wow, that's lady's really tall" nowadays, which was not really the case when she started. This is going to be really great.