PS3 news

Missy

Seventeen? Seventeen! Fucking greedy prick! All I want is one! One! Not for me, mind you, but to sell on eBay to pay for my damn root canal. Here I am making shit per year, barely scraping by, with debt like you wouldn't believe and no insurance, and this fuckin kid can somehow secure $10,000-plus to buy 17 goddamn PS3s to sell for a net profit of roughly $58,000. Motherfucker.

player hater

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seventeen? Seventeen! Fucking greedy prick! All I want is one! One! Not for me, mind you, but to sell on eBay to pay for my damn root canal. Here I am making shit per year, barely scraping by, with debt like you wouldn't believe and no insurance, and this fuckin kid can somehow secure $10,000-plus to buy 17 goddamn PS3s to sell for a net profit of roughly $58,000. Motherfucker.

I think maybe I'll fail him on principle.

I hope someone fucking punches the mayor of Boston in the face. Repeatedly. Yeah, it's SONY'S fault that individual people chose to riot and be morons. Stupid asshole.

Sony does share some blame in all this. They are the ones that had a "global launch" without having enough units for it.

I belive the most blame goes to the stores for not planning ahead. There will be alot of law suits, like the guy that was thrown into a flag pole during a race to the line at a WalMart. He dislocated his jaw, and the guy that pushed him got a system.

Sony does not control an individual's choice of actions. Those people rioted, they assaulted people, they should pay the price for their idiotic and dangerous decision. Not Sony, like Boston's mayor is demanding. If there is a problem with a reservation or whatnot, then take it to court. Don't beat people up and vandalize private property for no reason.

Sony does not control an individual's choice of actions. Those people rioted, they assaulted people, they should pay the price for their idiotic and dangerous decision. Not Sony, like Boston's mayor is demanding. If there is a problem with a reservation or whatnot, then take it to court. Don't beat people up and vandalize private property for no reason.

Agreed. Anybody can realize they are in a crowd situation that teeters on chaotic. Leave asshole.

If you race for a video game console and run into a flagpole, fall on your face, get trampled, etc. it is your fault.

If you are robbed of your system Sony is no more liable than people who make wallets and purses.

Agreed. Anybody can realize they are in a crowd situation that teeters on chaotic. Leave asshole.

If you race for a video game console and run into a flagpole, fall on your face, get trampled, etc. it is your fault.

If you are robbed of your system Sony is no more liable than people who make wallets and purses.

He was pushed into it, he didn't run into it. WalMart decided to hold a race in a parking lot full of poles and other things. That means they can be held responsible for putting people in a dangerous situation. The second thing they can be held responsible for is not having enough security to keep people from getting out of hand. Regardless of who is to blame, I'm telling you from a legal standpoint who is going to get sued.

Holdup was fake, cops say

By Ramon Coronado - Bee Staff Writer

Two employees are facing criminal charges following the reported theft of four coveted PlayStation 3 game consoles last week from an Elk Grove business, police said Wednesday.

Tauryn Robert Hodge and Gerald Anthony Keys, both 19, were arrested Tuesday on charges of suspected embezzlement, burglary and conspiracy. Hodge is facing an additional charge of filing a false police report. Both were employees of the GameStop on Laguna Boulevard.

On Nov. 16, a day before the consoles were to go on sale, Elk Grove police received a report from Hodge that masked gunmen had robbed his store.

The machines retail for $499 to $599 but have been offered on eBay for hundreds more.

"It was Hodge who initially called the Elk Grove police," Officer Christopher Trim said.

"There are things we are continuing to investigate," Trim said. "There may or may not be additional parties involved. We still haven't recovered the merchandise."

Police were tight-lipped about how they discovered that the robbery report was bogus.

"Our detectives were able to gather information that wasn't consistent with a robbery," Trim said. "They felt there was more to the investigation than meets the eye."

After the reported Elk Grove robbery, police warned retailers in the area, some of whom hired more security. They also advised the encampments of hopeful purchasers waiting for days outside stores to be careful.

Sacramento County Sheriff's Department records show that as of afternoon Wednesday, both men had posted bail and were not in custody.

Suspect in PlayStation 3 robbery killed

WILMINGTON, N.C. - A teenager accused of robbing a student of two new Playstation 3s on the day the popular game consoles were introduced was shot to death by police sent to arrest him.

Peyton Strickland, 18, was killed Friday at a house he shared with three roommates, New Hanover County Sheriff Sid Causey said.

"If this boy would've come to the door, opened the door, we probably wouldn't be talking," the sheriff said Sunday.

Roommate Mike Rhoton said Strickland was unarmed, but may have been holding a video game controller when he went to the door as it was bashed in by officers.

Authorities promised Monday to fully investigate the fatal shooting. "No one is above the law and no one is beneath its protection," District Attorney Ben David said. He declined to discuss details of the case.

The State Bureau of Investigation is examining the case and three deputies on the team were placed on paid leave, normal practice whenever officers fire their weapons, Causey said.

Arrest warrants alleged that Strickland, a student at Cape Fear Community College, and a University of North Carolina-Wilmington student stole two PlayStation units from another UNC-Wilmington student that day.

The sheriff said the robbery victim had waited three days in line to buy two Playstation 3 units for $641 each at a Wal-Mart. He was unloading the units at his campus apartment when one man beat him to the ground while another took the PlayStations, Causey said.

The sheriff said Strickland was shot by members of a a special police unit who went to help university officers serve warrants. He would not say why the special team was assisting.

Strickland's dog, a German shepherd, also was shot to death.

The second man named in the warrants was arrested at another address and was released on bail on Saturday, authorities said.

The nationwide introduction of the Sony game system on Nov. 17 was marked by rowdy crowds and store stampedes. One buyer waiting in line at a Connecticut store was shot by armed robbers.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my take on it. If Sony crumbles and follows the way of the Dreamcast (which it won't)... it was their own fault. I understand you want to drive up the hype factor by releasing a limited shipment, but then you get a sea of capitalistic pricks ruining it for everyone else. The way I know it is, in the first few years, the consoles do shit for them... it's the games that bring in the money. So, here we have the everyday business man, buying up all the consoles, selling them at prices that prevent the buyers from purchasing games. If you think about it, the man (Sony) is actually sticking it to himself. If you're going to launch a console, have the balls to make enough. Even if it means that the launch date needs more time. It's sad that our society can't handle this. People getting shot, beaten, even killed. All because there wasn't enough of a particular item for everyone. I would understand more if it was food, but a box that puts pretty pictures on a TV... kinda messed up.

Here's something I haven't told anyone: the Target nearest my house had a 60GB PS3 for sale last week. I bought it and attempted to sell it on eBay (for a modest profit), but the unit went unsold -- so I returned the PS3 to Target for a full refund. The point of the story...? The only people who are currently buying PS3s are people who think they can sell them on eBay. Everyone else... not so much.

Here's something I haven't told anyone: the Target nearest my house had a 60GB PS3 for sale last week. I bought it and attempted to sell it on eBay (for a modest profit), but the unit went unsold -- so I returned the PS3 to Target for a full refund. The point of the story...? The only people who are currently buying PS3s are people who think they can sell them on eBay. Everyone else... not so much.

Same thing happened to my friend, but he had two 20 gigs. Put them on Ebay and couldn't sell them. We chalked it up to the fact that they were the 20 gigs, but I guess it's happening with the 60 as well.

• 5 weeks later...

From Kikizo:

Britons to Pay Most for PS3

And comments from Sony's American boss suggest we shouldn't expect a price drop soon either.

Sony isn't expected to announce the final European launch details for the PlayStation 3 until Thursday, but a report on Tuesday has already pegged the date and price of the system.

According to an unnamed industry source speaking to UK site Edge, the PlayStation 3 will be out on 23 March and it will cost a hefty £425.

The price, equivalent to around €650, would make the UK the most expensive place in Europe to buy a PlayStation 3. The system will cost €600 on the continent and €630 in Ireland.

If confirmed later this week, the details will not come as a surprise to those who have followed the turbulent path of the PlayStation 3 to launch. As far back as May, Sony's Ray Maguire told MCV that it was likely that the system would launch in only the 60 GB configuration and would cost around £425.

For the uninformed, £425 equals roughly $835.