Voltron

Voltron Targets Hollywood

Another giant robot movie in the works.

by Stax

July 26, 2005 - According to The Hollywood Reporter, producer Mark Gordon (Saving Private Ryan) will partner with Pharrell Williams, World Events Prods. and producers Mark Costa and Ford Oelman to make a live-action feature film of Voltron: Defender of the Universe. Williams also will reportedly score the film.

Like The Transformers, Voltron is a giant morphing robot from the 1980s popularized by toys and a TV series. Transformers is set-up at DreamWorks with Michael Bay attached to direct for a slated July 4, 2007 release date. Transformers will be produced by Don Murphy, whom Voltron producer Mark Gordon worked with on League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

THR tells us that the developing story for Voltron will follow "five maverick explorer-pilots who must travel to the planet Arus to learn how to operate Voltron, a giant mechanical warrior formed by five smaller robots."

Voltron is not set-up at a studio at this point so there is no release date or director yet.

I gotta say I side with steve based one... I was like eight when i fell in love with voltron.

I'm not holier-than-thou enough to demand all things be catered to me when i go on a nostalgia kick. Letting it be kid accessible would be ideal, pass it on to a younger generation.

And power rangers was a great movie for what it was. It nailed the demographic it was going for perfectly. The fights were fun, well paced, and innovative.

I'm not signing the death sentence on Voltron though I sadly expect it to be "not for me"

Wow, I do not know how good this is going to be.  Although it could very well be a good kids movie, and I hope that is how they market and produce it.  Something akin to the Power Rangers movie in style.

:punch:

HA, that's the greatest smiley ever.

• 2 years later...

New info:

Voltron is Coming Together at Fox

20th Century Fox-based production company New Regency has partnered with the Mark Gordon Company to adapt Voltron: Defender of the Universe into a possible franchise.

Producer Mark Gordon has been developing the film, based on the popular 1980s Japanese animated TV series, comic books and toy line, for some time with Justin Marks writing the script.

But interest in the property hit a high after Transformers turned into a box office juggernaut, raking in nearly $300 million to date.

Marks' take is described as a post-apocalyptic tale of survival set in New York City and Mexico.

In the animated series, five Galaxy Alliance pilots control vehicles shaped like lions that combine and form the massive sword-wielding Voltron robot in order to battle an evil menace.

Gordon is producing with Lawrence Inglee and Jordan Wynn shepherding the project. Mark Costa and Ford Oelman are executive producers.

Marks is also adapting He-Man and the Masters of the Universe for Joel Silver at Warner Bros., as well as the Green Arrow pic Supermax, also at the studio. Marks also has Street Fighter in the works at Hyde Park and Fox.

• 1 year later...

The yearly update:

Fox-based New Regency has put Voltron: Defender of the Universe into turnaround, reports Variety.

The trade says that Ryan Kavanaugh's financing and production venture Relativity Media is in negotiations to back the property, though on a more moderate budget, utilizing the type of cost-effective technology employed in films including 300.

The Mark Gordon Co. still is attached to produce "Voltron," which is based on the popular Japanese animated TV series of the 1980s.

Mark Gordon and Jordan Wynn are producers. Bryan Zuriff is executive producing. Producers expect to attach a director within the next week. The film was written by Justin Marks.

Marks' take is described as a post-apocalyptic tale set in New York City and Mexico, where five survivors of an alien attack band together and end up piloting the five lion-shaped robots that combine and form the massive sword-wielding Voltron that helps battle Earth's invaders.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=48053

In my opinion anything other than a Transformers type approach to this movie won't work. If you go the 300 green screen route it will end up looking like Speed Racer, and we saw how that worked out. I liked the look of Speed Racer, but the general public didn't.

Power Rangers are going to sue.

Voltron was around long before the Power Rangers.

In my opinion anything other than a Transformers type approach to this movie won't work. If you go the 300 green screen route it will end up looking like Speed Racer, and we saw how that worked out. I liked the look of Speed Racer, but the general public didn't.

Power Rangers are going to sue.

Voltron was around long before the Power Rangers.

But they use Dinosaurs. Dinosaurs were around ages before whever makes up Voltron.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

It's back again:

Atlas Entertainment's Charles Roven, Richard Suckle and Steve Alexander are developing a big screen version of Voltron, says the Risky Biz Blog.

The producers behind Get Smart and The International (Roven also produced The Dark Knight) have acquired the rights to make a live-action feature based on the robot-lion property, pushing the project forward after several years in development with the Mark Gordon Company.

Roven and his partners acquired rights to the Japanese title from World Events Productions, a St. Louis-based company that has held those rights for more than two decades. Wanted producer Jason Netter of Kickstart Entertainment and World Events' Ted Koplar are joining the Atlas trio in producing.

"Voltron" was a television hit in the 1980's and featured a band of five robot-lions who combined to form one super lion. A group of five pilots control the lions, which are charged with defending the planet Arus from villain King Zarkon, who dispatches evil creatures called Robobeats to fight the Voltron robots.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=57292

• 2 months later...

UTA is making a foray into toys, taking on Voltron and its U.S. rights-holder World Events Prods. as clients.

The agency aims to expand the anime-based lion-robot property into several platforms. High on the agency's list of priorities is closing a deal on an animated cable series, which is expected to be imminent. Video game and toy deals also are on the docket.

Voltron also recently was set up as a feature with Charles Roven's Atlas Entertainment and Jason Netter's Kickstart Prods.; UTA is expected to help bring a writer aboard and begin shopping the project to studios.

The agency hopes Voltron's widespread brand recognition and elaborate mythology, which have served properties like "Transformers" well but doesn't necessarily exist with other board games and toy properties in development, will appeal to audiences and executives.

The pitch is expected to include the idea that, unlike other toy brands, Voltron -- in which five robot lions piloted by humans become a giant warrior -- allows for human-centric stories.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i03c5991d65201a60b609333e8610a3ee

That's the first I've heard of a cable animated show coming out.

• 11 months later...