Avengers: Endgame

• 1 month later...

Thoughts:

Spoiler

So, after talking it over with my friends afterwards, the end result of everything ensures that there has to be the creation of a Timeline B. That is unavoidable since the Thanos from 2014 is dead at this point. Also, there's the fact that No living Thanos means no Snap. Only hitch is Old Steve being on the bench but that's even explained by Timeline B Doctor Strange still having the time stone.

Here is why I find this interesting. Marvel basically has carte blanche to do whatever they want going forward. Any of the big things (The deaths of Tony and Black Widow, Old Steve being Old, The fact and ramifications that we have a universe where half the population went away and is suddenly back) can be handwaved away as, "That was in Universe A. This is Universe B." Gamora, oddly enough, is the only thing that can't be undone completely since Universe B Gamora is in Universe A or something now.

Or hell, they can just say there's a Universe C that the movies are going to take place in from now on where anything they want to keep happened and anything they didn't, didn't. Oh, and there are mutants now because why not?

11 hours ago, Donomark said:

I completely forgot what his cameo was in AM/W

His car gets shrunk, and he say something like, "Well, the Sixties were fun, but I'm paying for it now." The guy we see in Endgame is very much a "make love, not war" hippie, with 420 on his license plate.

On 4/28/2019 at 12:49 AM, The Master said:

Without saying too much, I'm of the mind that Stan Lee plays the same character in Endgame as he played in Ant-Man & The Wasp.

Great catch! 

Initial, unfiltered, undigested reaction is one of love and awe for pulling this thing off. I cried multiple times during the film and by the snivels I heard around me I know I want alone. 

Spoiler

You could've heard a pin drop during Stark's funeral. 

Saw it last night. It was an endurance test at the end and my back was starting to cramp up. (Then again, I am very old.) Even at three hours, it feels like a lot of stuff was cut. This could have easily been two movies, in my opinion.

Spoiler

Captain Marvel didn't play nearly as big a role as I thought she would. The character is overpowered, and I don't see anyone in the MCU who can challenge her. It seems like her only purpose was to be a Deus Ex Machina to come in and save the day when the writers could not figure out how to get the heroes out of an impossible situation. And where was she when they were gathering the Infinity Stones? Her cosmic powers would have been really helpful then. You can't even say she was doing something more important, because there's literally nothing in the entire universe more important than that.

I am really surprised that Black Panther didn't play a much bigger role.

I like that the Universal Population Bomb was downplayed and that Thanos' idea of making the universe better through cosmic genocide made things worse, not better. 

Spoiler with social commentary:

Spoiler

I like that Hawkeye recognized that extrajudicial mass executions, even of the worst criminals, was a terrible thing and made him into a monster. Way too many movies treat vigilantism as a good thing. It isn't. We have due process and civil rights for a reason, and sometimes even innocent people go to prison for decades. See the case of the Central Park Five.

So what happens if the vigilante executed an innocent person? I don't recall a single movie where a vigilante did that.

There really should have been more consequences for his behavior though, and he should not have gotten a happy ending. He should have ended the movie in prison.

So, I have a logistical thing: Stark calls Thor "Lebowski".  

Meaning that Jeff Bridges exists in the MCU. 

In Iron Man, Tony's mentor, Obidiah Stane, is played by Jeff Bridges. 

And when you start six degrees of Kevin Baconing this shit, you get stuff like Hiddleston and Pratt also existing. So, do the heroes just happen to look EXACTLY LIKE THE FAMOUS ACTORS?

9 hours ago, Preston said:

So, I have a logistical thing: Stark calls Thor "Lebowski".  

Meaning that Jeff Bridges exists in the MCU. 

In Iron Man, Tony's mentor, Obidiah Stane, is played by Jeff Bridges. 

And when you start six degrees of Kevin Baconing this shit, you get stuff like Hiddleston and Pratt also existing. So, do the heroes just happen to look EXACTLY LIKE THE FAMOUS ACTORS?

Also Fury and Star Wars existing.

1 hour ago, Donomark said:

Also Fury and Star Wars existing.

The prequels did not happen in the MCU, so that is not an issue.

The alternate universe versions of @Dan and @The Master on Earth-199999 were then spared from the need to watch them for a podcast.

14 hours ago, JackFetch said:

Hide contents

Does that mean they won't date anything, or will they always date things five years from when it was released? 

Potentially. I'd imagine they'd downplay it for as long as possible until 2024 rolls around and they can choose to talk about years.

• 2 weeks later...

During the Battle of New York, the Ancient One tells Professor Hulk that removing the Infinity Gems from reality dooms reality. Hence, her reluctance to give up the Time Stone, and the reason all of them must be returned to the exact moment they were removed.

But here's the thing: after his initial snap dusted half of all life, Thanos obliterated the stones. Meaning, the MCU is no longer protected by the Infinity Gems. This makes me wonder if this is how they'll open the door to other cosmic beings threatening reality, as well as allowing for dimensional hopping.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That was the most expensive Doctor Who two-part season finale I have ever seen!

Read into that what you will, but I enjoyed it on the whole.

One question: at the wake, there was a guy I didn't recognise whatsoever. Teenager/young guy towards the back. I'll look into it further.