Every Film You've Watched in 2023

Dread

Let's gooooooo!

Glass Onion: Started this movie in 2022 and finished it this morning. It can't hold a candle to Knives Out. That movie also had a great cast doing very broad depictions of caricatures, but that movie had a good script. The least best part of KO for me was Benoit Blanc. And he is awful in this movie. Just the broadest "Ah do declare" bullshit accent. Terrible.

Lou: pretty simple plot with a decent reversal. Great cast. Janney, Smollett and Marshall-Green are all great. Filmed very close to my house.

• Features: 2
  • Shorts: 
  • Documentaries: 
  • Rewatches: 
Edited by Dread

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glass Onion:

I don't agree with our esteemed Mr. Desmond, or at least I don't feel as hotly about it. I liked Knives Out, but the twisted knot of the mystery to where you think you know what the situation is until the twist at the very end kind of put me off as it felt more of a veritable chase movie in which Blanc actually didn't do much for the majority of it. I only saw it once in theaters, it was the penultimate movie I watched before the start of the pandemic, and I liked it but didn't love it.

Glass Onion is far more straightforward as a mystery with clues and moments to keep the viewer guessing. Who sent what, why did such-and-such happen, how will *BLANK* get solved? There was more viewer participation in this that I enjoyed. I get the criticism about the cast of characters, but that didn't bother me. Benoit Blanc is a patently fictional archetype, what keeps anyone else from being the same? I thought everyone from Batista to Norton to Janelle Monae did a fantastic job. Very entertained by it.

16 hours ago, dc20willsave said:

1) Why would anyone remake Terror Train?

2) Why would they release a sequel to the remake less than two months later?

When I searched it on IMDB, I really just thought they were the same movies with two different names. Like maybe the Canadian market has it as Terror Train 2 or something. But no...I guess I have to watch that shit now.

The 6th Day: Directed by Roger Spottieswood

A 2000 Arnold actioner, returning to his sci-fi roots after End of Days, this continues the Governator's downward spiral of films with a moderately intriguing but ultimately silly premise of a near-future where cloning is possible. The actual plot is not bad, with a conspiracy resulting in him being cloned for a cover-up. The bad guys - Tony Goldwyn, Michael Rooker, Stephen Dorrf, Terry Crews and Kate Warner from Season 2 of 24 - effect a kind of Team Rocket quality where they're a bit whiny but are used well to illustrate the world we live in. Michael Rappaport plays the best friend in a less obnoxious turn than I typically see from him.

Problem is that Arnold's character(s), somehow, is/are lame. This is by far the weakest of his cadre of protags that I've seen. He's just not badass. When he says "You've cloned the wrong man", there's nothing really to back that up aside from the fact that he's Arnold. His quips are really terrible, lazily written with the feeling that the writers thought the low quality was the point, when the fun of Arnold's quips is a cocktail of bizarre circumstances ("Let off some steam Bennett") and the fact that he's a big mother fucker ("Claudius...you killed my father. BIG MISTAKE."). Lines like "Try to stay dead this time" and "When I said that you should screw yourself, I didn't mean it literally" are some of the biggest groaners I've had in a long time. They're as bad as people think his Freeze quips are. 

I can see a way, WAY better movie in this, as the concept and outline are both good. But no, it sucks. I liked it more than End of Days however.

On 1/9/2023 at 8:30 AM, Donomark said:

The 6th Day: Directed by Roger Spottieswood

A 2000 Arnold actioner, returning to his sci-fi roots after End of Days, this continues the Governator's downward spiral of films with a moderately intriguing but ultimately silly premise of a near-future where cloning is possible. The actual plot is not bad, with a conspiracy resulting in him being cloned for a cover-up. The bad guys - Tony Goldwyn, Michael Rooker, Stephen Dorrf, Terry Crews and Kate Warner from Season 2 of 24 - effect a kind of Team Rocket quality where they're a bit whiny but are used well to illustrate the world we live in. Michael Rappaport plays the best friend in a less obnoxious turn than I typically see from him.

Problem is that Arnold's character(s), somehow, is/are lame. This is by far the weakest of his cadre of protags that I've seen. He's just not badass. When he says "You've cloned the wrong man", there's nothing really to back that up aside from the fact that he's Arnold. His quips are really terrible, lazily written with the feeling that the writers thought the low quality was the point, when the fun of Arnold's quips is a cocktail of bizarre circumstances ("Let off some steam Bennett") and the fact that he's a big mother fucker ("Claudius...you killed my father. BIG MISTAKE."). Lines like "Try to stay dead this time" and "When I said that you should screw yourself, I didn't mean it literally" are some of the biggest groaners I've had in a long time. They're as bad as people think his Freeze quips are. 

I can see a way, WAY better movie in this, as the concept and outline are both good. But no, it sucks. I liked it more than End of Days however.

They filmed this movie at my university while class was in session. Every day I would have to walk through a burnt out debris field to get to my classes. One day, the smoke from said pyro was sucked into the library air vents and we had to be evacuated. As I was walking from my last class to my car, I actually saw Arnold pretty close walking into his trailer. I screamed "Arnie, I love you!" and he stopped and said "Thank you! I love you too!"

2 hours ago, Dread said:

They filmed this movie at my university while class was in session. Every day I would have to walk through a burnt out debris field to get to my classes. One day, the smoke from said pyro was sucked into the library air vents and we had to be evacuated. As I was walking from my last class to my car, I actually saw Arnold pretty close walking into his trailer. I screamed "Arnie, I love you!" and he stopped and said "Thank you! I love you too!"

Wow, between that and the Hulk Hogan story, you'd have a potential side-gig as a raconteur, Mr Doomsday!

12 hours ago, Dread said:

Cool!!!

Kids Vs. Aliens: this is coming out next week, I think? I'm interviewing the director, but this is the first entry of the year that will very likely (unless this is a GREATyear for movies) be on my favourites of the year list.

The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker: this is a Netflix doc that just dropped about a viral sensation cum murderer. Interesting.

The Devil's Candy/Creepy: review forthcoming

Curse of the Crimson Altar/Spookies/The Gangster, The Cop, The Devil/Revealer: reviews forthcoming

• Features: 11
  • Shorts: 
  • Documentaries: 1
  • Rewatches: 

• 3 weeks later...

Dave Made a Maze - Let's see.  Des reviewed this last April.  I listened to said review some time later.  Got the DVD from the library.  Kept it for around 6 weeks, until I had to return it.  Got it back, kept it around for about 6 weeks until it has to go back tomorrow.  So I finally watched it.  This is not about the story or the acting (both of which I would call serviceable).  This was all about the cardboard.  Strange to say, but it was massively impressive how they pulled it off.  I'm never gonna revisit this film, but would certainly recommend a watch for the production alone.

A bunch of random Christmas movies - That I watched in January because I was behind on podcasts/youtube because December was busy.  I cannot remember all the titles, individual plots, or characters because they are all so generic, predictable and cliche.  But that is kinda the point.  Taken at face value, not bad for background noise.

Collateral Damage (2002): Directed by Andrew Davis

Arnold plays a fireman who loses his wife and son in a terrorist attack carried out by Cliff Curtis playing a Colombian radical. This is playing more into the dramatic thriller than Arnold actioner, and while it doesn't exactly succeed more than it fails, its failures aren't miserable. By this point, Arnold's acting has gotten remarkably better. He doesn't try to badass his way through moments of intense grief and shock, and in the first act I'm pretty impressed with him. This makes him a stronger character than who he played in The 6th Day. Elias Koteas plays a CIA operative who's a bit shady but ultimately well meaning. John Leguizamo and John Tuturro have what ultimately are cameos more than roles.

The problem with this film is that it goes on too long without a long of interesting things happening. Arnold's not the guy to star in a pensive treatise on the similarities of international warfare between the US and South American countries, you expect more action. There's not that much suspense, and a lot of the middle act is going from A to B in droning on succession. I will say the final action scene with the final kill brought it up a lot of points for me. Not enough to save it, but I did get a heartly laugh worthy of a scene from Commando or Total Recall. Overall this movie doesn't suck, exactly. It's just not very good.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: this was good. Better than the first one. I still can't stand Leticia Wright, but Angela Bassett and basically everyone else was good. The Namor guy was not arrogant enough for me until the end, but he really brought it home. Could definitely have used more M'Baku. The crazy part of this one's special effects is that the underwater CGI looks great, but when characters are just standing around talking in a forest or other boring locales, it's the worst green screen ever. How can they not get this right? The BP/Namor fight worked so well, but that's because it's the first time MCU has done a fight that looks and feels like a DC movie fight. haha! I'm out!

edit: also, I like that they skewed the "Atlanteans" to be more mesoamerican as that fits with the aesthetic, but i don't really enjoy their new origin. In a world with Eternals and Deviants, I feel like Marvel could have figured something else out.

The Sound of Metal: a truly powerful story. I relate to this a lot with my own metal-performance-induced hearing damage. I thought everyone was incredible in this. Wonderfully acted film. I do have to say that the ending left me wanting. Still one of the better films from the past few years. Put Riz Ahmed in everything!

Skinamarink: review forthcoming, but Jesus fuck...

Venom Let There Be Carnage: this was a hell of a lot of fun. Everybody was pretty great, especially Michelle Williams, who I've never really liked. Hardy is a little dialed back from the first film, which makes sense because Woody Harrelson is hogging the scenery buffet in this one, and it's glorious.

The Menu: this was fucking excellent!

• Features: 16
  • Shorts: 
  • Rewatches: 

• 2 weeks later...

Troll: review forthcoming. Not the 80s one.

Terror Train 2/Terror Train 1980: reviews forthcoming, but yikes.

The Best of Times: this is technically a failed TV pilot but IMDB considers it a TV movie. More to say coming soon.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High: been a while since I watched this. Pretty great movie. More soon.

Blue Monkey: review forthcoming

Altered States: review forthcoming

The Pale Blue Eye: review forthcoming

Raven's Hollow: review forthcoming

Valley Girl: first time watch for me. It's great!

Spookies: the year's first rewatch. Had to. too much time passed between watching and reviewing. Probably two more coming.

• Features: 26
  • Shorts: 
  • Rewatches: 1

• 4 weeks later...

Murder in the Front Row: a really great documentary about the Bay Area thrash metal scene told by the people who were there. The doc sort of sees the death of Cliff Burton as an ending, and that makes sense. Hetfield is particularly candid about his peers in this one. Enjoyable.

• Features: 27
  • Shorts: 

On 3/12/2023 at 9:10 PM, S-T said:

Legion of Super Heroes (2023)

Reveal hidden contents

I don't like Mon-El being evil.

Other than that, it was enjoyable.

The DC animated movies have really leaned into changing things from the comics for a long while now. Hush, Red Son...think the last generally faithful adaptation they did was maybe Dark Knight Returns over ten years ago.

1 hour ago, Donomark said:

The DC animated movies have really leaned into changing things from the comics for a long while now. Hush, Red Son...think the last generally faithful adaptation they did was maybe Dark Knight Returns over ten years ago.

I didn't mind the changes to Hush and Red Son, but I hated the changes to Long Halloween.

Chris Rock: Selective Outrage: I've thought for a while that Chris Rock hasn't been funny for 20 years, and this is another example of that. I watched old clips on Youtube to wash the taste of this out of my mouth.

Jim Jeffries: High and Dry: this was much better. Still not great. I think Maybe my days of watching stand-up specials are over.

• Features: 27
  • Shorts: 
  • Documentaries: 3