Every Film You've Watched in 2023

Dread

Not often that I show up in this thread, but Oppenheimer is in the conversation for Nolan's best film. And I know he has a pretty solid body of work, but having seen all of it (except Tenet, and arguably Interstellar [viewing was impaired]), I am pretty happy to say it's up there.

I don't want this to prejudge anyone's viewing, of course!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Conversely, I thought Barbie was excellent!

An explicitly feminist film that wants to have fun discussing gender politics, it really goes for it. The hyperreality of it all hearkens back to movies of the 80s and early 90s, and either you're on board with it or you're not. But Margot Robbie is superb, and Ryan Gosling delivers his funniest - and possibly his best - performance to date. IDK what I was expecting going in, but I had a total blast.

Honestly, If Gosling doesn't get a Supporting Actor, America Ferrara Supporting Actress  and Margot Robbie a Lead Actress nomination... I won't be surprised but upset nonetheless.

On the Oppenheimer side of things, I would be surprised if Cillian Murphy doesn't get a Best Actor Nomination and maybe RDJ and Emily Blunt for Supporting.

Ace Ventura Pet Detective: oldest said he'd watch a movie with me and chose this one. Still really transphobic, but there are some undeniable laugh out loud moments. I can do without watching it again though.

Texas Killing Fields: this movie's about ten years old and I never knew it existed. Watched it this morning with Stacy. It's a halfway decent crime thriller with a great cast that in a lot of ways seems to deliver flat performances. 3/5

• Features: 63
  • Shorts: 1
  • Documentaries: 6
  • Rewatches: 4

• 2 weeks later...

Man...I must have missed a few. Anyway...

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: one of the better Marvel movies. A really beautiful end to this little franchise with probably the best special effects in a Marvel movie to date. I dug it a lot.

The Boy In Blue/Peggy Sue Got Married: the next two episodes of Cage Dive are ready to be recorded on my end.

Sharksploitation/Subspecies V: Bloodrise: reviews forthcoming

Ghostwatch/Curtains/Deadtime Stories/Wer/Horror Noire: reviews forthcoming (as soon as Monday. RIP Sir Michael Parkinson

• Features: 72
  • Documentaries: 7

Blue Beetle - Just getting it out of the way, I'm a huge fan of Jaime Reyes and his original series from the 00s, and have read most of his solo books since then; the set-up of him already being an adult isn't what I would've liked to have seen, personally. I thought a lot of the charm was him dealing with high school and the wider DCU knocking at his door at every given turn. Kind of like Spider-Man Homecoming, actually. Maybe that's why they didn't go with it, maybe they want Shazam to occupy that niche (good luck with the kids being older plus the second film flopping). This feels more like DC's version of Ant-Man.

Aside from that, I enjoyed the film quite a bit. Xolo Maridueña gives a great, heartfelt performance. He was the favorite for the role, and I'm glad he got it. The rest of the cast is good, but their dialogue was pretty cliche, especially Milagro. George Lopez was fun at least. 

I'm intrigued to see where they could go with the Kord family in the future. The villains were just there characterization-wise, but made for some cool scenes and thematic connections.

The action scenes were great, and I'm glad they took inspiration from his depiction in Injustice 2, with a lot of the attacks being straight from that game. Plus, being a big fan of Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, it was really fun seeing the influence.

An annoyance with this: like a lot of the other non-Snyder DCEU films, they jam a million pop songs back to back, and it feels really ham-fisted as far as setting the tone of the scene. 

And the tone was odd for Blue Beetle, if typical for the DCEU as a whole. Just kinda sarcastic and trying hard to be cool. There is an earnest heart to the story but around it feels very New 52. I think Shazam did a better job of jumping between tones.

A bigger problem for me is the editing. It's not an especially long movie, for this genre and age, but scenes Feel long and not in a way that serves them well. I don't want movies to feel focus-tested to hell (even though they are anyways) but I would like a bit more snap to a movie that has to rapidly switch between banter and more serious stuff.

Speaking of which, the midpoint(was it? I really don't know what its place would be in the movie) was harrowing as hell, especially for people who feel close to situations like that. Really effective, it brought a lot of emotion.

So yeah, I'd say it was good. I think a CW show (or any appropriate equivalent now that their superhero stuff seems to be winding down) would've served Jaime and his world the best, but I felt the heart they put into telling his story. Dunno if they'll get the chance to follow it up, but I hope so.

To Catch a Killer: this weekend's morning movie with Stacy was this horribly titled halfway decent sniper spree killer film. This is pretty stupid overall, but has its moments. Shailene Woodly kind of always seems like a deer in headlights. Her character and a few others make some really stupid choices so that's on the script. searched "to catch a killer imdb" and got five separate versions of iron the first page. My favourite actor in the movie is the killer and they have like three lines in the entire film. Haha!What a mess!

Darkman: I love this movie. It's been a long time since I've seen it last. It's for a reason too. 

• Features: 74

Blue Beetle

Having very recently done my homework for the character for DC assignments to promote the film, I still went into this film with measured expectations. I can't pretend to be a fan, I haven't read the character up until a week ago and have only been exposed to him in animation.

I think this is a solidly decent superhero movie. It's not going to rewrite the genre, and part of the issue is that the character's source material is innately somewhat derivative of other comic book franchises. That's not something this movie can help, however it definitely has one eye trained on 2018's Black Panther. There's a scene in the third act, complete with dialogue, that literally rips off BP. 

Your mileage may vary when it comes to this movie. On the whole it's good, but not groundbreaking regarding the main crux of the film, that being the scarab and the evil corporation that wants it back. Susan Sarandon twirls her mustache a bit, but it'll be a blip in her career as her villainous role is a dime a dozen. BB's powerset isn't nerfed at all, as he can do everything we've seen him do in other media, which was great in the final action sequences where he really cuts loose.

What sets this movie apart is the Mexican American culture, but really and truly it's Jaime Reyes' family. They're the heart of the film. Much of the time they're high energy and loud, especially after the scarab absorbs Jaime. There are three scenes in a row where everyone is yelling. But you spend time with them, you get to know them. And when the end of the second act tragedy happens, it tears your heart out. I was viscerally distressed by scenes involving them halfway through the film, and it took me a solid fifteen minutes to shake it off. It's brutal and realistic, the kind of violence that's inflicted upon them, which really makes this movie memorable. So you're wanting to stick with the family in the back half of the movie and see what happens to them.

On top of all that, this film is a big boon for actual Blue Beetle fans from the comic, particularly Ted Kord. I was surprised how much lore was translated to the film. There's a quick shot from a newspaper clipping that looks straight out of a Charlton Comics Blue Beetle cover. It's awesome. IDK how much that'll matter to mainstream audiences, but for this comic book nerd, I geeked out.

The movie isn't doing well, which is owed to a few factors like lack of promotion due to the strike and the turnover from it's original streaming schedule to the big screen. It's not a brilliant film, despite how loudly Twitter/X users are trying to make it out as for solidarity. Much of it just is plainly derivative. But all of the main actors are excellent, and it's a rare CBM that gets better as it goes along. It's fucking MILES ahead of The Flash, for the pure fact that at no point do you find Jaime annoying, let alone unbearable.

Blue Beetle - It's fine.  It checked off all the boxes of a superhero origin film.  Mid-tier DCEU.

On 8/22/2023 at 3:45 AM, Donomark said:

Blue Beetle

It's fucking MILES ahead of The Flash, for the pure fact that at no point do you find Jaime annoying, let alone unbearable.

No, that would be the sister.  Unbearably annoying.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem -  I enjoyed it.  Making this Turtles younger made for a fresh approach.  Animation is excellent.   Clearly aimed for a younger audience, so there was a bit of eye rolling on my part, but overall a good movie.  I hope they continue.

Tank Girl - Watched for a podcast listen.  So very early 90s.  Had a hard time focusing on the film, but overall am glad I watched it.

Airplane!: Fuck. This movie REALLY holds up. Funny as fuck. I would say every joke lands except one that requires knowledge of an old-timer song and dance woman, but that one is funny too. Lots of actors got jobs to deliver single jokes. It's ridiculous, nonstop, and makes your gut and face hurt from laughing. It is in the running (if not the top) of the list for greatest comedy ever.

Dumb and Dumber: as always. Holds up. It too is in the running. I would argue Airplane! is more broadly and generally funny, and is actual more timeless than this one, but plotting hairs, etc. Great comedy. Jeff Daniels is the unsung hero of this one, but it's also Carrey at full power, so it's amazing he even has a presence in the movie, let alone what I would argue is a more enduring presence , is a miracle, but Daniels nails it.

Sharper: a pretty stock and dull con artist film elevated only by the presence of Julianne Moore. Anyone else in that role, and this movie isn't worth watching. Nice to see John Lithgow too. Tiny role though.

The Quick and the Dead: a really fun western I'd forgotten more about than I remembered upon this rewatch. Good stuff.

• Features: 78

In the Line of Fire (1993): Directed by Wolfgang Peterson starring Clint Eastwood. The last remaining Secret Service agent from JFK's detail on the day of his assassination races to outwit an assassin from murdering the president.

I checked this out based on a retweet Chris had up the other week. 90s thrillers tend to feel the same, and the make or break quality is in the gimmick. This however is largely the same as every "Old guy applies his legacy aura to kick ass in the modern day" shtick that powers many a Bronson or Stallone or Neeson flick. He's even named Frank for God's sake, which has to be the single most common white guy name in this genre. 

To be honest I was rolling along with it fine for the first act, but the moment Renee Russo stepped on screen it brick-walled against me hard. Eastwood is completely obnoxious to her and her feminist presence (a woman in a man's job), so after a few scenes of needless barbs, he flirts/harasses her until she's swooned by his written charm. I had zero fucking patience for that. There's nothing about this plot that required a love interest, let alone one where the writing made the pairing so unbelievable. Russo could've easily been Eastwood's ear for his Dallas confessions in the third act, but making out with him while they are actively trying to prevent a presidential assassination practically ruined the movie for me. It made everything feel so hollow, reinforcing that this isn't a story, it's a Clint Eastwood vehicle. John Malkovich gives the best performance as the assassin who wants to kill the president for basically no reason. He acts far better than he's written, although I dug his backstory. 

This is one of those movies that I stuck with, but it felt twice as long as it was at the half hour mark. I don't tend to look out for dated or problematic screenwriting in older movies, but I can't stand it when it comes off as smug. I didn't hate the movie, but it annoyed me. Similar a bit to Falling Down. 

The Brothers (2001): Written and Directed by Gary Hardwick

Morris Chestnut, Shemar Moore, Bill Bellamy and D.L. Hughley lead this cast of late-20s/early-30s black professionals who struggle with relationships and various other subplots. Definitely part of the mid-90s trend of mature black romances, except this is 51% a comedy. It's nowhere near as good as Love Jones, which was dead serious and had their characters come off as realistic people. Bill Bellamy and DL Hughley make this film seem campy, although they both turn in good performances. I actually found DL pretty funny throughout, even though his wife was a cartoon. I enjoy seeing Morris Chestnut and Shemar Moore act, as the diversity for the roles they take have become more and more bland as time's gone on. Shemar Moore in particular was far more of a shallow, short-sighted guy who needed growing up. As a performance, I enjoyed seeing him work. I also like Clifton Powell in anything, and the tense scene he has with Morris Chestnut is the highlight of the movie for me.

The film isn't that great, but it's perfectly watchable. Tatiyana Ali, Jennifer Lewis, and Gabrielle Union (she gets the "And" credit) are very solid in roles that go against their typical mold. This is a film you watch in 2023 if you enjoy the actors, moreso than the writing. I think Gary Hardwick thought he was being really deep and insightful throughout, but there's too much goofiness for plot to land as relatable. That might be an issue with the time period though.

Hulk (2003) - Doing a thing on Letterboxd where I'm catching up on the comic book/superhero films I haven't seen yet and this was the first a friend picked out for me. Being a big fan of the 2008 Incredible Hulk, I was really surprised how much I liked it; time has been pretty kind to this movie. I know comic fans have either forgotten this or lightly make fun of it for the "Shrek Hulk", the comic panels, or who knows what. Whatever it is, I think this movie does deserve a reappraisal. It has a lot of themes to think about, great visuals and the performances are fantastic. The comic panels could've been done better, but they added a unique feel to the film. I don't know if they can be done outside of animation, but I wouldn't mind seeing it be tried again. Don't know if it's the most rewatchable movie, but I really enjoyed this.

I forgot to note it, but while I was in Massachusetts surprising Harry Chute for his birthday, we watch last year's Prey. Pretty much a perfect film and undeniably the best Predator film after the original, they should just do analogue stories from now on.

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom:

Been meaning to watch this for the past three years. It really is Chadwick Boseman's movie, although Viola Davis crushes it as the titular Ma Rainey. It's the best performance I've seen from her, which says quite a lot. I also loved seeing Glynn Turman after watching reruns of A Different World for the past 18 months.

On 7/25/2023 at 1:20 AM, slothian said:

Not often that I show up in this thread, but Oppenheimer is in the conversation for Nolan's best film. And I know he has a pretty solid body of work, but having seen all of it (except Tenet, and arguably Interstellar [viewing was impaired]), I am pretty happy to say it's up there.

I don't want this to prejudge anyone's viewing, of course!

Finally saw it just now, and I’m inclined to agree.

Spider-Man: still charming. Incredibly dated with the Macy Grey appearance. Man, they really missed the mark with that. Other than that, a fantastic film. Arguably the best "origin story" movie for a known character.

Evil Dead Rise: this one has got a couple of really grotesque gore scenes and some real gnarly heretical shit, so I kind of loved that a little. Also, tons of kids die on-screen and you don't see that very often. The story? meh. Overall, it's pretty rote and plays by the numbers. If you think that anybody in an Evil Dead movie (or show) that reads from the Necronomicon Ex Mortis (or whatever variant of it they use in this movie) is stupid, just wait til you see a kid crawl into a crevice underneath the crack that opened up in his underground parking garage after an earthquake to pull the book out in the first place. All that said, if we're talking possessed violent people in a high-rise, Demons 2 is the better film.

• Features: 82

On 9/12/2023 at 10:58 AM, Dread said:

Spider-Man: still charming. Incredibly dated with the Macy Grey appearance. Man, they really missed the mark with that. Other than that, a fantastic film. Arguably the best "origin story" movie for a known character.

What is it with you people and Macy Gray?

On 9/13/2023 at 1:54 PM, Donomark said:

What is it with you people and Macy Gray?

It'd be like Right Said Fred performing at a parade in a movie: yeah they'd draw a crowd and it would probably be entertaining but it dates your movie to like...a specific few weeks in time. Just absolutely pulls me out. Take, for example, Bauhaus performing "Bela Lugosi's Dead" in The Hunger. It's the most eighties thing ever. 100% But it has also become an iconic song that defined a movement. That song/artist choice worked out well for that film.

The Boxer's Omen: review forthcoming,  but holy shit. A wild Hong Kong film that starts with a man beginning to go on a quest of revenge against a Thai kick boxer who paralyzed his brother after losing in a match, but then, in act two there's a...subplot?...of a black magic sorcerer who is killing Buddhist monks. And the brother has to kill the sorcerer to break the spell and bring the head monk back to life because the brother is...somehow tied life and death to the dead monk  and he'll die as soon as the monk starts to decompose. For some reason? Then after he does that, act three is the revenge. So. Fucking. Weird.

Spider-Man 2: undeniable.

Spider-Man 3: interested to chat about this.

Quicksand/Brooklyn 45/Influencer/Sharksploitation: reviews forthcoming. And I watched B45 twice.

• Features: 87
  • Documentaries: 8
  • Rewatches: 5