The First Avenger: Captain America

Missy

Joe Johnston (Jurassic Park III, Hidalgo) has signed a deal to direct First Avenger: Captain America, Marvel Studios' take on its classic comic book character, says The Hollywood Reporter. Marvel's Kevin Feige is producing.

No writers are on board, but the studio, which is hearing pitches, expects to hire shortly.

"This is a guy who designed the vehicles for 'Star Wars,' who storyboarded the convoy action sequence for 'Raiders of the Lost Ark,' " Feige said. "From 'Rocketeer' to 'October Sky' to 'The Wolfman,' you can look at pieces of his movies and see how they lead to this one."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7801

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only imagine people who dont know the history of Cap laughing when some small thin guy emerges from the treatment, big smoke room, as a large muscular mountain of a man

Also thought international sales would be interesting if it were just going to be called Captain America, but with the First Avenger line my fears have been lowered slightly lol

• 1 year later...

Is there really not already a thread or is the search broken?

Looks like production is starting in June. The release date is currently July 22, 2011.

The director is Joe Johnston.

* Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977) (effects illustrator and designer: miniature and optical effects unit)

* Battlestar Galactica (1978-1979) (effects illustration and design)

* Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) (art director visual effects: miniature and optical effects unit)

* Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) (art director: visual effects, ILM)

* Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983) (art director visual effects)

* Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) (art director: California)

* Howard the Duck (1986) (ultralight sequence design)

* *batteries not included (1987) (second unit director, production manager)

* Always (1989) (aerial sequence designer)

* Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989) (director)

* The Rocketeer (1991) (director)

* The Pagemaster (1994) (director [live-action scenes])

* Jumanji (1995) (director)

* October Sky (1999) (director)

* Jurassic Park III (2001) (director)

* Hidalgo (2004) (director)

* The Wolfman (2010) (director)

* The First Avenger: Captain America (2011) (director)

He's old school, which might be a good thing.

* The Rocketeer (1991) (director)

He's old school, which might be a good thing.

:yes:

That's what I was thinking. I used to really like that film, haven't seen it in ages.

Man, I remember seeing that in the theatre when I was 8 years old. I don't remember anything about it except the chewing gum patch.

Man, the guy seems to be a solid enough director, but I just can't get past Jurassic Park III on his resume. I know it shouldn't effect my perception of the guy, but... it does.

Off topic, but am I the only person who just dislikes the JP trilogy? No real justifications, I just don't enjoy them.

Honey I shrunk the kids, that was an ok kids film.

The first one stands up as my example of how CGI should be used in film. The second one has Jeff Goldblum. The third is an abortion.

Yeah, Goldblum is awesome, in anything he does, even Holyman, christ that movie sucked. Need to watch the fly again soon.

On topic, are they still wondering who should play cap? Cause at one point weren't the top two choices John Barrowman(Captain Jack from Torchwood) and Will Smith?

I'd swear their was a thread on this already.