Jonah Hex

Dread

I don't have the link but maybe Variety reported it after another Western Horror type film is announced by Rogue pictures.

Warner Bros. has optioned Jonah Hex!

Look for a resurgence in Westerns (YAY!!!) in the coming years and an actor way too young to play Jonah in the role.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warner Bros. Pictures is saddling up to bring DC Comics' Western anti-hero comic book Jonah Hex to the big screen, with filmmakers Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor on board to adapt, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Hex, known for having the right side of his face disfigured and wearing a Confederate army uniform, was a rough-and-tumble gunslinger and part-time bounty hunter whose adventures always ended in blood.

"Hex" first appeared in the early 1970s in the issues of "All-Star Western" before graduating to his own series in 1977 that ran for about 10 years. A new series was launched in 2005. The character also had a run in the 1990s that combined the Western genre with supernatural elements.

The filmmakers are not making a straight-ahead Western but plan to develop the character with some of the supernatural overtones in the hopes of creating a franchise.

Neveldine and Taylor wrote and directed Crank, which starred Jason Statham.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Sometimes it takes several iterations for the internet to circle in on the truth. Case in point: the photo of Thomas Jane in 'Jonah Hex' makeup. Let's recap:

Around the middle of the week, FilmSchoolRejects posted a photo of actor Thomas Jane in makeup that had the right half of his face scarred, a la the comic book character 'Jonah Hex'. Some puported that this was a sign of Jane's direct involvement in the film, while others said it was just a nice photoshop job.

Story continues after the jump...

A seeming debunking of the story came the next day from ShockTillYouDrop. They checked with Mark Neveldine, who is the current co-director of the 'Jonah Hex' film development. He said Jane isn't involved in the film and he has never seen the alleged makeup test photo before.

This lead us to declare the photo a fake...but...that's not quite true.

You see the photo is, in fact, a test of actor Thomas Jane in 'Jonah Hex' makeup. However, it has nothing to do with the movie that Mark Neveldine and 'Crank' collaborator Brian Taylor are developing.

Yeah, the pic is real all right – my pal Akiva Goldsman told me about the project and I fell in love with the idea right away. Being a huge fan of all things Hex – I just couldn’t help myself. I called up my buddy Chris Nelson and we spent a Saturday afternoon working up some make-up for this impromptu shoot and I fired a few pics off to Warners. How do people get a hold of this shit? It’s a little embarrassing seeing my fanboy enthusiasm spilled all over the web, but great scripts don’t come around too often, especially for characters I love.

janehexue4.th.jpg

http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=story&b=34016

So it was a real pic, but not for the movie. That's odd.

I'd try to be angry at Tom Jane but he is just the world's biggest geek with a lot of money.

It's doubly impressive considering he hadn't been into comics at all as recently as four years ago, if the interviews he was giving when The Punisher was coming out were accurate.

One of us! One of us! :laugh:

I'd try to be angry at Tom Jane but he is just the world's biggest geek with a lot of money.

It's doubly impressive considering he hadn't been into comics at all as recently as four years ago, if the interviews he was giving when The Punisher was coming out were accurate.

One of us! One of us! :laugh:

Gooblegoogle gooblegoogle.

• 3 months later...
"W." star Josh Brolin is in talks to star in "Jonah Hex," Warner Bros.’ adaptation of the DC Comics property.

"Crank" writer-directors Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor wrote the script and will direct.

On Wednesday, both WB and Brolin’s reps denied that a deal was close, but sources said he’s likely to take the job.

Hex, whose face is partly disfigured, is a gunslinger and bounty hunter. The series was hatched by DC in the early 1970s.

The film is being produced by Andrew Lazar’s Mad Chance and Akiva Goldsman’s Weed Road. Lazar’s in production on a "Cats & Dogs" sequel for the studio, and Goldsman, who last produced "Hancock," is developing several films for WB including a prequel to "I Am Legend" that D.B. Weiss is scripting, with Goldsman producing with James Lassiter.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799372...yid=13&cs=1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, I wiki'd the Jonah Hex guy here.

Jimmy Hayward is a director, writer and animator. He directed 20th Century Fox and Blue Sky Studios' Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who!, released in 2008. He has worked at Pixar Animation Studios, 20th Century Fox and Blue Sky Studios, and was an animator for Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2, Monsters, Inc., and Finding Nemo.

For Blue Sky he was a sequence director, writer and story consultant for Robots.

After directing commercials at a young age Hayward became one of the original animators of the television series Reboot, before starting his feature film animation career at Pixar Animation Studios.

Filmography:

2008 Horton Hears A Who - Director/Voice actor

2005 Robots – Director (additional Scenes), Story Consultant

2003 Finding Nemo – Animator

2001 Monsters, Inc. – Animator

1999 Toy Story 2 – Animator, Additional Story Material

1998 A Bug’s Life – Additional Animation

1995 Toy Story - Animator

Josh Brolin as Hex is an awesome idea, but I'm nervous about the director.

Now I know this may be a question that gets me ostracized, but I'm not an avid comic book reader. Is Jonah Hex actually Ra's Al Ghoul's son in the comics, like in the DCAU?

As Suavestar said, you're getting your facts mixed up a little. The bad guy from that episode, Arkady Duvall, was the son of Ra's.