Missy

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My GPS came in the mail today.

I couldn't change the voice setting to "British woman" fast enough.

As long as they weren't from Essex...or Birmingham.

She's from Norwich. I've named her Darcy.

People on my course keep telling me I should look at post-grad stuff with a view to teaching. The reason? I do the assigned reading (most of the time) and gasp HAVE OPINIONS BASED ON IT! It's nice to know that somehow sets me aside as some kind of expert in and of itself. Knowing how scary lax my work ethic is the knowledge that somehow even my minimal involvement sets me above 90% of my class makes me wonder, maybe the Conservatives are right and not everyone should go to uni.

maybe the Conservatives are right and not everyone should go to uni.

I've been saying this for years. I just think the historical approach of the conservatives that it should only be the rich that go to uni is wrong. There should just be higher academic requirements to get in, so only people that really want to go, go.

maybe the Conservatives are right and not everyone should go to uni.

I've been saying this for years. I just think the historical approach of the conservatives that it should only be the rich that go to uni is wrong. There should just be higher academic requirements to get in, so only people that really want to go, go.

It's sort of a catch-22 though. For some, going to higher education isn't something they have a choice in. Their lives have already been dictated that you must do this thing to become a reputable member of society, get a good job, get that career you didn't know you wanted, and send your kids out to do the exact same thing.

The thing that annoys me, is that 9 times out of 10, it's the people that HAVE the money that say only those who can afford to go to University should go, and everyone else can go fuck themselves.

That wasn't meant at you, Max, the attitude of "Only the rich can get a better education" has always annoyed me.

Problem with that idea Max is that academic standards aren't always the best way to judge. People who achieved less in school can come into their own in a less structured environment. I'm WAY better at university work than I ever was in actual school, in fact my original A-levels were quite poor, I had to go to evening classes and take additional A-levels to be certain of getting on a decent course the second time around.

I don't actually think it should be limited, but I do get frustrated at people who aren't there to engage with the work at a university level.

From 2001-2004 I taught creative writing on the college level, and one my students told me pointblank that his MO was to take a class, fail it, then take it again to look smart for the girls. You know why he could do this? Rich parents. It pissed me off to no end.

From 2001-2004 I taught creative writing on the college level, and one my students told me pointblank that his MO was to take a class, fail it, then take it again to look smart for the girls. You know why he could do this? Rich parents. It pissed me off to no end.

The problem with colleges would take too long to explain. Besides, I'd need to save that for the vent thread. Suffice to say, a lot of it sucks.

In 2007, a new statewide policy went into place in Texas stating that no student can drop more than six classes (in their entire undergrad career) without reason. It cut down the number of "tryout" students pretty much instantly.

Problem with that idea Max is that academic standards aren't always the best way to judge. People who achieved less in school can come into their own in a less structured environment. I'm WAY better at university work than I ever was in actual school, in fact my original A-levels were quite poor, I had to go to evening classes and take additional A-levels to be certain of getting on a decent course the second time around.

I don't actually think it should be limited, but I do get frustrated at people who aren't there to engage with the work at a university level.

Like Tom, I did a lot better/got more out of university than I did at school (and I had a very good time at school, I just didn't nail my A Levels in the way that the newspapers paint it). I didn't do as much work, but I was still compelled to work hard and ended up with a 2:1 at undergraduate level and a merit for my MA.

The university issue is a double-edged sword. Employers that pay well like graduates, as long as the subjects aren't bullshit. That being said, university doesn't automatically put you in touch with such people and you often have to in to lesser jobs or worse after you graduate unless you're very lucky (I wasn't; Subway Sandwich Artist after Lancaster, unemployed after Newcastle). If you don't get a degree, or A Levels for that matter, some employers won't give you a look. That said, if you go straight into work at 16 or 18, you will have more on-the-job experience, which will ultimately work in your favour.

It's possibly a tad unfair to blame the Tories for not wanting everyone going to university because the past government's policy of trying to get as many people into higher education has proved unsustainable and increasingly expensive in practice. I don't think university should be exclusively for the rich or the gifted at passing exams, but graduates are now leaving university with unrealistic expectations, as the jobs market hasn't been growing at the same rate as the university sector.

Either way, I have very little time for people that don't appreciate their education.