The "I need to vent" thread

Missy

I knew that the day was coming up soon, but I'm only 17 days away from my video game tournament that I am running as a major school assignment. I have sold only 10 registrations to the event. In order to break even I estimate I need to sell 57 more. To sell out as I originally wanted to I have to sell 117 more.

Time to become a shill to end all shills.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BY WHAT STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION IS FIFTY-FIVE FUCKING PAGES A "SHORT STORY"?

So,what's usually the ratio on form letter vs hand written on the rejection letter because this guy sounds like someone who deserves a real smack in the head as opposed to just "We feel your story is not right for us at this time."

BY WHAT STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION IS FIFTY-FIVE FUCKING PAGES A "SHORT STORY"?

So,what's usually the ratio on form letter vs hand written on the rejection letter because this guy sounds like someone who deserves a real smack in the head as opposed to just "We feel your story is not right for us at this time."

Everything is form for us if it is rejected in round one. End of story.

We did get a guy who sent nonfiction, which I rejected briskly in a specific note. Then he sent a previously published piece, which I rejected briskly as well. I have not seen anything from him since.

*Hug*

I'm sorry.

Thanks. It's over now, sort of, I finally got home, and a break from it. It was just so horrible, being in that class and not knowing what to do, and just feeling horrible.

What happened was I went to my class that morning, showed my work folder and was told I had to do more analysis, and work on stuff, and how little time I have to pull the project together, as it's due in May.

Dear Assholes from the Developmental Office:

So, I just emailed you about an hour ago that I am sick, have been sick for a good week or so, should not be seen at public, especially in a named scholarship luncheon thingy where I could infect many, and that I was sorry and to please convey my apologies to my donor.

Then you call about fifteen minutes ago, informing me where you had not told me prior that I would be sitting at the table with the GODDAMN PRESIDENT OF THE UNIVERSITY, along with my donor, and that I really needed to be there. Against my better judgement, I say okay, because my not showing up will now be causing problems for people, even though I am sick.

Now you call five minutes ago, and inform me that my donor is suddenly not showing up, so don't worry, it's okay if I don't come, please get better.

FUCK YOU.

~Me.

It's not the fact that I had to go that I was complaining about, and I'm not mad at the donors, Nicolette. I was planning on going up until this whole sickness thing.

It's the sudden about-face that pissed me off, especially in not informing me that I was going to be sitting at the President's table till the very last minute, and the fact that the woman was badgering me to go even though she could pretty clearly hear me hacking up my lungs on the other end. I mean, I wasn't mad about this until they called five minutes later and were going oh, never mind, they won't be there, disregard everything we said ten minutes ago.

The company's website describes The Emily Grace Collection as having a “trendy, sweet, yet edgy feel, reminiscent of Emily’s true personality.

She. Is. Nine. For fuck's sake.

I know I play up the nationality divide for my output on this site, but there is something seriously fucked up with a 9 year old being funded/being able to afford to start a lingerie line aimed at her own age range. Why are people who weren't even alive for the turn of the millenium having sexy underwear advertised towards them by a less famous Cyrus as a favour for her friend? I know that Charlie Brooker claimed "My Super Sweet 16" to basically be an al-Qaeda recruitment video, but at least you can expect a certain level of selfish self-absorption from teenagers (of any nationality). For a pre-teenager to start marketing lingerie as a means of income when teenage pregnancy is something of a problem around the world is mind-boggling, asinine, avaricious and fucked up.

We weep for the future.

No shit.

I want a do-over on civilisation. I know morals are subjective but the blatant sexualisation of the underage is something we can all agree is wrong, regardless of whether is a dirty old man on a park bench watching the swings or an international corporation.

I honestly am starting to believe that something goes wrong with people who can't drive to a border or see the ocean within an hour or two of where they live. Its a perspective thing, you just can't think right at that point. Its no wonder they start going balls-out crazy.

Anyone who saw Miley dancing on the pole at the Teen Choice Awards last year knows that just from his reaction.

Y'know, actually, I saw that, and it wasn't pole dancing. She was holding onto a pole attached to an ice cream cart prop so that she didn't fall off when it rolled. It looks bad in still images, but in motion it wasn't that skanky at all.

That being said, I'm normally the type of person who likes to say "hold on, guys, let's not start demonizing this girl and her family just yet," but this lingerie thing is starting to make me shift my perceptions a bit.

On the other-other hand, that article probably exaggerated a lot of things for the sake of sensationalism. I doubt that the "lingerie line" is actually supposed to make pre-pubescent girls into sex whores; it's probably just an irresponsible marketing move. ("we'll call it 'lingerie' instead of 'stylish underwear'!")

But yeah, this whole thing is just disgusting, regardless of whatever's actually going on.