Everything DC

JackFetch

Thought I'd put this here to keep up to date on multiple projects like the Marvel thread. Please update with anything not needing to go in a specific movies' thread.

While watching the WATCHMEN footage (which by the way, I can't even begin to tell you how awesome and mind blowing it was, but more on that later) during a press event put on by Warner Brothers.

I ran into a few executives and friends who I hadn't seen in a bit and got a few updates to share!

After the footage screened and a Q&A with director Zack Snyder, a cocktail reception was held on the lot where I got some goodies on upcoming WB properties!

First up, Batman. There have been rumors making the internet rounds this week basically saying that the third Chris Nolan Batman film had entered into pre-production and was looking for crew members. A WB exec told me directly that another Batman film is not in pre-production and is not getting ready to shoot. Not at all. We were told this rumor is total BS and that Nolan just got back from vacation and while WB is keen (duh) to make a third film, there has been no immediate conversations with Nolan and that the rumor is totally bogus.

Next up, Green Lantern. As reported in the past, GL is looking extremely good and it looks like it will definitely be going forward Spring of 09.

On to Justice League. Yes, Justice League. I know, I know, it's a dead horse but I had to ask about it. I asked our source about the Armie Hammer quote that made the rounds last week that the JL production was still looking for a location to shoot, which has to be total BS. He said that they are not doing anything with JL. The studio doesn't want to do JL just to do it. They want to make it when the time is right. Very similar to what WB's Jeff Robinov said to WSJ last month.

And finally, the Superman sequel Man of Steel. The WB insider recognizes there has been a lot of buzz on the internet following the success of Iron Man and The Dark Knight, for a Superman sequel, but they really just don't know what's going on at this time. I asked him if Bryan Singer was still attached. He said he didn't know where it stands right now at the studio level since Singer has been busy on Valkyrie.

But he also said one thing is for certain, WB has a lot of properties available and they plan on mining them.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_c...3&Itemid=99

Here you can see the contrast between how Marvel makes movies, and how WB makes DC movies. Marvel has a plan and has laid out a timeline of how everything will go. DC just kinda sits around and doesn't know what they are going to make.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marvel can tie all its stuff together easy, its far from a requirement that the Avengers cross over with Spider-Man or the X-men or any of thier other franchises. DC will have a tough time selling a Justice League that doesn't have a Superman and Batman, but with them included they totally overshadow everyone else. DC would do better to just go ahead and make the individual films for Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and Flash and worry about JLA way down the line.

Here you can see the contrast between how Marvel makes movies, and how WB makes DC movies. Marvel has a plan and has laid out a timeline of how everything will go. WB just kinda sits around and doesn't know what they are going to make.

Fixed for you.

Here you can see the contrast between how Marvel makes movies, and how WB makes DC movies. Marvel has a plan and has laid out a timeline of how everything will go. WB just kinda sits around and doesn't know what they are going to make.

Fixed for you.

Yeah, I meant WB. They are making all the decisions, and that's the problem.

Latino Review got a chance to talk to DC Comics President Paul Levitz this week about the status of the third Christopher Nolan-directed Batman film, the Superman reboot (Brandon Routh is still in the mix!), and more. Here are several clips:

In fact, he told me that "Last week Brandon Routh has come around the offices in New York and Los Angeles as of late to talk about Superman and what we want to do."

"Everyone is waiting for Nolan to sign on for another Batman, once that happens, the release date for Superman and all other future projects will follow."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=49624

As of now just a few moments ago another inside source confirmed that yes they are waiting for Chris Nolan to sign the deal with the next Batman, and that they want him to commit to a July 2011 release. If that happens then the following superhero films will be released.

Green Lantern Summer 2010

Batman 3 Summer 2011

New Superman reboot Summer 2012

Also in the mix is THE FLASH.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive...man-update-5511

So everything they are planning revolves around the next Batman movie? Does that mean a crossing storyline like Marvel is doing? A series of films leading to a JLA movie?

Warner Bros. and DC Comics are continuing their push into motion comics by putting into development "Batman: Black & White" and "Superman: Red Son."

Warner Premiere and Warner Bros. Digital Distribution will adapt the graphic album and graphic novel into digitally downloadable episodes that bring the comic to life by combining the artwork with subtle movement, voice-overs and musical scores.

The companies introduced their first motion comic at this year's Comic-Con with the initial chapter of "Watchmen," which adapted the first issue of the 1980s comic book miniseries into that format. Dave Gibbons, the original artist, was even tapped to redraw certain parts of the story.

The second chapter of "Watchmen" was just released with the rest of the story to be released every two weeks. The motion comics are available via iTunes, Amazon VOD, Xbox Live and the Sony PlayStation Store. The companies compiled "summary editions" for Verizon Wireless V Cast customers as well as Sprint TV customers via the DC Comics Channel.

"Black & White" was an award-winning four-issue miniseries originally published in the mid-1990s that featured eight-page Batman stories by such writers and artists as Neil Gaiman, Joe Kubert, Brian Bolland and Bill Sienkiewicz.

"Red Son" was a 2003 miniseries by Mark Millar ("Wanted") and artist Dave Johnson that featured Superman as a hero of the Soviet Union rather than America.

It is unclear at this time if the original artists will be involved.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...63cbe5edf?imw=Y

"Everyone is waiting for Nolan to sign on for another Batman, once that happens, the release date for Superman and all other future projects will follow."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=49624

As of now just a few moments ago another inside source confirmed that yes they are waiting for Chris Nolan to sign the deal with the next Batman, and that they want him to commit to a July 2011 release. If that happens then the following superhero films will be released.

Green Lantern Summer 2010

Batman 3 Summer 2011

New Superman reboot Summer 2012

Also in the mix is THE FLASH.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive...man-update-5511

So everything they are planning revolves around the next Batman movie? Does that mean a crossing storyline like Marvel is doing? A series of films leading to a JLA movie?

I think it means that WB still has no idea how to manage superhero movies.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Time Warner Inc. Chairman & CEO Jeff Bewkes revealed during the company's quarterly earnings call on Tuesday that announcements are coming soon from DC Entertainment.

"We are going to have a fairly interesting set of announcements and presentations pretty soon like in a matter of weeks, I think, about our plans for DC," Bewkes said. "And basically if you look across the title of the whole band of hits whether its Batman, The Dark Knight, Green Lantern coming up, Superman, there have been a huge number of franchised films that have been part of the Warner [tent pole] strategy that's been the reason for Warner's unparallel high and consistent earnings advantage over the other studios and DC has already been a part of that and we are now going to outline an even more expansive plan for that in the coming months."

Earlier in the call, he said that you'll "hear more about our plans to mine more aggressively the deep catalogue of DC Comics characters across Warner Brothers' theatrical, home video, TV and games divisions and across our other divisions as well."

http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=9041

Ok, I'm getting excited now. An announcement in "a matter of weeks". They better not let me down.

I think it would be cool if the Coleman Reese (Joshua Harto) character from The Dark Knight became the Riddler.

If he can get owned so easily by Lucius Fox and then become the target of a city-wide assassination plot after forging ahead with making his information public, I don't want that guy as The Riddler.

As for the upcoming DC movie slate, I'm excited to see what they go with as it will speak volumes of how they respond to Marvel's current project.

I think it would be cool if the Coleman Reese (Joshua Harto) character from The Dark Knight became the Riddler.

If he can get owned so easily by Lucius Fox and then become the target of a city-wide assassination plot after forging ahead with making his information public, I don't want that guy as The Riddler.

See, the thing is , that was the Riddler. he was treated badly by everyone, that is part of the reason why he became the Riddler. In most adaptations the Riddler is like that. He also drastically changes, whether Nolan makes him Batman Forever crazy, I don't know.

Oh and I'm excited for the DC/WB announcements.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8358:dc-characters-picking-up-steam-at-wb&catid=41:news&Itemid=71

It was only yesterday that the fanboy equivalent of an atomic bomb was dropped upon the land of geekdom when it was revealed that Christopher Nolan would guide a new Superman film over at The Brothers Warner. It was only a matter of time before somebody threw some more fuel on to the heat vision inspired fire and we're glad to be the first to do so.

The information involving Nolan becoming the Brainiac behind WB's re-mastering of Superman was obviously leaked on purpose from the studio. Fantastic marketing ploy on the part of WB. The news trumps a Spider-Man reboot and even overshadowed the fact that Christopher Nolan is indeed sitting in the director's chair for "Batman 3". Although nerdgasming could be found all over forums, blogs, and websites, the announcement had people asking questions. "I think it's only fair that I answer...those people."

One of the questions is how involved is Christopher Nolan in the process? It's a great question and almost unanswerable at this point. I would imagine that he is going to receive a producer credit and his production company Syncopy Films will be involved on some level.

What about the story? Screewriter(s)? I've noticed a lot of people mentioning David Goyer and Jonah Nolan, ie Christopher Nolan's Creative Posse. They might actually have some time since we've heard rumblings from inside the studio that Jonah has already handed in the first draft of "Batman 3", if so things are certainly moving along on the Caped Crusader front.

Jonah and Goyer wouldn't be bad choices to pen the next Superman film, but they won't be starting from scratch. We've also been told from a studio insider that WB already has a story and a script that they are really hot for. So there IS a story. Now the question is, who wrote it and when can we read it? Maybe after we read the "Batman 3" script.

Although this lawsuit mess will eventually be settled, WB can’t get around the "2011 or else!" court ruling. They’re doing a Superman movie because they have to or else Kal-El would be collecting Kryptonian dust around Burbank. If it was up to Jeff Robinov the studio most likely wouldn't be making another Superman flick. Heck, he's not a fan. He is all for anything involving The Dark Knight, but hasn't really taken to the Man of Steel. The only reason that fans were able to enjoy, or in some cases despise, "Superman Returns" in 2006, was because Bryan Singer met with Alan Horn. During the shit-show that followed "Superman Returns" the Wachowskis were in very serious talks with WB to bring Superman back in some capacity. The studio wanted them to direct but the duo only wanted to write and produce a new film and give the camera to James McTeigue. The studio said direct or no deal, so the Wachowskis took their "Speed Racer" Blu-Ray and went home. Well, not all the way home, they still have their helty multi-million dollar first look deal with WB and offices on the lot.

Where does this all leave WB's other superheroes? An announcement is forthcoming on "Wonder Woman", "Flash", "Superman", and "Batman 3". This could be revealed via press release, interviews, leaked information, or all of the above. "Wonder Woman" and "Flash" are going to be made "internally"; no hands from outside the confines of WB/DC will be touching these characters hence the removal of Chuck Roven and Joel Silver off both projects.

You combine these four solo ventures with Green Lantern already flying into production and the newly formed DC Entertainment looks like they have an actual slate on their hands. To recap; Jonah Nolan has turned in a 1st draft on "Batman 3", WB has a Superman script they are happy with, and an announcement is around the corner on "Wonder Woman" and "Flash" with additional info for "Superman" and "Batman 3"

The first draft of Batman 3 is already in. I like how Chris Nolan plays coy with these Batman movies getting people nervous. While making Prestige he acted like there may not be a sequel and the whole time he and his brother were writing it and he did it again here.

• 3 months later...
Heat Vision is reporting that Warner Bros. Entertainment Chairman and CEO Barry Meyer talked about the upcoming Warner Bros. Pictures slate in New York.

After announcing a mid-December 2011 release for Sherlock Holmes 2 and mentioning the previously-announced July 20, 2012 release date for Christopher Nolan's next Batman movie, Meyer said that the studio is eyeing a 2012 holiday season release for the next Superman movie.

The exec also revealed that they are getting close to giving the go-ahead for a movie about DC Comics' The Flash!

Meyer mentioned that films about Aquaman, Wonder Woman and MAD magazine characters are in development as well.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/101688-update-on-dc-comic-book-movies

I hope they don't do JLA, frankly.

Yeah, a Flash movie's been "in the works" for years now.

That's actually pretty much how I feel about it. Too many big characters to try and fit into one films there. Marvel's really only going with a comparatively simple team-up that was determined from the start. Thor/Iron Man/Captain America is easy because most of the characters are relatively grounded. JLA doesn't have that.

I don't freaking care. I'd watch a JLA movie even if it had comic-accurate spandex costumes and was set entirely on Silver Age Qward.

As long as it's well made, it doesn't need to be extremely deep or anything; just make it fun. Leave the major character-building stuff to the solo films, only working in what will actually work. (just as in JL and JLU)

I don't freaking care. I'd watch a JLA movie even if it had comic-accurate spandex costumes and was set entirely on Silver Age Qward.

As long as it's well made, it doesn't need to be extremely deep or anything; just make it fun. Leave the major character-building stuff to the solo films, only working in what will actually work. (just as in JL and JLU)

So, you want a Michael Bay Justice League movie because that's what you mostly described. JL and JLU both had major work in the character development department. How else do you explain an episode that's just Batman chasing Wonder Pig around Gotham?