The "Good news, everyone!" thread

James D.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's up in the awesome video thread. I killed.

Watched it, you had some good lines. Constructive criticism? You're relating stories about someone you know and we don't, and your emphasising the physical injury over the idiocy required to make that sort of mistake. Physical harm is rarely funny when its not acted out slapstick, and that's downright impossible in standup unless you have a really manic physical performance like Lee Evans. It just sounds like one of those things that was funnier if you were there or if you knew your brother. It'll also take a while for you to respond to the rhythm of the crowd, you ploughed through a few things that if paced a little slower could have got a bigger reaction. Give the audience time to think about this stuff and some of it will work better.

Good starting point though, you've got a good idea what to keep in the act from that, and I've seen some truly horrible first time acts so that's really quite a good result.

Well hello there, thread I just about never post in.

As I went about day three of what will end up a 60-hour work week, I was starting to become a zombie half-consciously willing myself through a blur of tasks, as for some odd reason no one at my job finds it the least bit unsettling that I essentially have to do the job of six people. Every retail store has that one guy that has to clean up after everyone. About six months ago, I was appointed to this position without ever being notified, so now, I'm being torn away from my work every 15 minutes to take care of things that my co-workers don't want to do. Needless to say, around mid-afternoon I'm quite the crabby bastard.

So tonight I'm nearing the end of my shift, doing a couple different things at once. Off to the side, I hear a customer ask for a book that's a common seller in our store, to the point that I can pretty much grab one without looking. I got the book and turned around to hand it to the customer. For a brief moment the chaos stopped. Standing in front of me was one of the most gorgeous girls I've ever seen in my life. She glanced down at the book, then looked at me before flashing a smile that had the power to make me sign over anything she wanted at that moment.

Then she looked at the Superman shirt I was wearing and said "nice work, Smallville".

Sometimes, it's the little things in life.

Move over.

Things went well.

My friends are awesome.

Even Suavestar

So nice of you dread.

Seriously though, congrats sir.

That job at McDonalds I applied for, to help pay my tuition fees, I think I got it, I start on the 28th, but they never came right out and told me :huh: they just signed me up and said they need my bank details and I start then.

That job at McDonalds I applied for, to help pay my tuition fees, I think I got it, I start on the 28th, but they never came right out and told me :huh: they just signed me up and said they need my bank details and I start then.

Congrats, I think. Dunno if working at McDonald's is something to congratulate someone on but then again, in the economy, anything is an improvement over unemployment.

Congrats, I think. Dunno if working at McDonald's is something to congratulate someone on but then again, in the economy, anything is an improvement over unemployment.

Well, I need the money to help pay for next years tuition fees and rent, so yeah, I need the work, so yay.

I loved my time working at Macca's, so I would say enjoy it. Learn from them, as their training and structure will actually be good to have. If you take the work seriously and don't turn up everyday hating the customers and all your work colleagues. I was lucky though, when I worked there it was a brand new store when I started, so we all bonded together at the start.

Well, after some serious discussion with the little woman, I've found where she's narrowed her grad school selections. Within the next year, I'll have moved to Chicago, Austin, Michigan or North Carolina. As someone who's spent his entire life in Wisconsin, I'm somewhere between overjoyed and terrified, and I'm really, really pleased with it. :P