The DC Universe Original Animated Movie Thread

Guest DCAUFan1051

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say the opening going through a comic shop to go the rack and see Green Arrow is really nice. As if to say "Hey, you know you can read the continuing adventures in a comic shop now.."

I'm just watching the Green Arrow short right now. And really, its so far.....not that great. I prefer the JLU Green Arrow voice, as it felt specific, to me, you could tell who the voice was for. Here, it just feels like another hero guy, trying to save the day.

Edit: Malcolm McDowell as Merlyn the Magnificent, is the only real stand out in this.

The Spectre short easily kicked this shorts ass.

Guest TFG1Mike

So I now have S/B: Apocalypse in hand and I'm watching the All-Star Superman Preview.

I guess because I haven't read the comic I'm not too up to speed on this version. Watching this preview I'm really not that interested in this DVD. The voice cast for Superman and Lex is cool though. Anthony Lapaglia was an awesome choice for this "mad scientist" version of Lex.

Thoughts So Far:

I think the one thing so far after being about 15mins into this that I don't like is the art style on Batman. Conroy's voice really doesn'ty sync correctly to me. I'm watching the scene in the Fortress when Batman is talking to Kara. The mouth design for Batman seems wrong for Conroy's voice. I know it's the art style, but I'm just nitpicking.

OK I thought S/B: Apocalypse was pretty damn good. The pacing was right, it didn't feel like it passed by too fast.

After Darkseid agrees to let Kara go they head back to Earth and morn the loss of Harbinger. After that Clark tells her he has a place for her. They then go to the Kent Farm. You think the film is over then BOOM! Darkseid! This Superman Darkseid Kara battle rivals the DCAU Destroyer episode battle between Supes and Darkseid. It's a knockdown drag out fight. Very Awesome I thought.

I don't think this is a spoiler, but I guess since in this apparently Wonder Woman is in charge on the island men are allowed? Superman and Batman Both are seen there multiple times. I found that kinda strange.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you guys notice that the Farm was totally based off of the Smallville Farm? I had to geek out at that.

Summer Glau did an awesome job as Supergirl. I think the voice of Darkseid was good, but he never delivered his lines the right way, they were always rushed.

Did you guys notice that the Farm was totally based off of the Smallville Farm? I had to geek out at that.

I'm pretty sure it was the farm from the Reeve films (not being surrounded by trees and whatnot), but otherwise the two are very similar.

Actually, I think they used plans from the Smallville set to recreate the barn in Superman Returns. Lots of crossover there.

Summer Glau did an awesome job as Supergirl. I think the voice of Darkseid was good, but he never delivered his lines the right way, they were always rushed.

Though I think he's a good actor (he plays "Snowflake" in the awesome film Glory), I also think that Andre Baugher was rather miscast as Darkseid. There wasn't enough menace in his voice or his delivery. I think he would be a kick-ass J'onn J'onzz though.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to watching Apocalypse. If they had cast Michael Ironside as Darkseid, this thing would've gotten a 8 or possibly even a 9 out of 10 from me. It was that fucking good, in my opinion. But Andre Braugher was SO badly miscast. His voice did not lend itself to the greatest evil in the DC Universe. Still, though, it was epic. I will watch this many times in the future. I wish they hadn't

changed the ending from Superman hurling Darkseid into the Source Wall to Kara simply Boom Tubing him into a random quadrant of space, though.

I wish they hadn't

changed the ending from Superman hurling Darkseid into the Source Wall to Kara simply Boom Tubing him into a random quadrant of space, though.

I thought about that, too, but the thing is that in the comics they were planning on going back to that, while in these movies there's no telling if they'd have gone back to explain what happened later.

Also,

not a lot of people outside hardcore comics fans know what the source wall is, so they'd have to explain it in a movie where it didn't at all factor in with the rest of the plot.

But hey, at least we got a kickass fight with Superman, Supergirl, and Darkseid. That was fifteen different kinds of epic.

I do wish they'd still brought the JLA, Outsiders, and Titans to Themyscira to meet Supergirl like they did in the comics, though.

thoughts on DC Showcase: Green Arrow?

I think it might be the best of the three so far, though the Jonah Hex one is a very close second.

I will say the opening going through a comic shop to go the rack and see Green Arrow is really nice. As if to say "Hey, you know you can read the continuing adventures in a comic shop now.."

I'm just watching the Green Arrow short right now. And really, its so far.....not that great. I prefer the JLU Green Arrow voice, as it felt specific, to me, you could tell who the voice was for. Here, it just feels like another hero guy, trying to save the day.

Edit: Malcolm McDowell as Merlyn the Magnificent, is the only real stand out in this.

I stand by what I said before.

thoughts on DC Showcase: Green Arrow?

I think it might be the best of the three so far, though the Jonah Hex one is a very close second.

I stand by what I said before.

I really don't know much about the Spectre character, but him sabotaging that entire investigation by killing off the suspects outright made me sour on the showcase devoted to him. Maybe he would do that, but that's super-dickery if ever I saw it.

The Green Arrow one wasn't particularly deep. I just enjoyed it purely for the action.

I really don't know much about the Spectre character, but him sabotaging that entire investigation by killing off the suspects outright made me sour on the showcase devoted to him. Maybe he would do that, but that's super-dickery if ever I saw it.

The Green Arrow one wasn't particularly deep. I just enjoyed it purely for the action.

From what little I know of The Spectre, I think they got him right. Wiki Spectre article.

The action in GA was good, which I forgot to say originally, but it didn't exactly make me say "Wow! I want to know more about Green Arrow!" It made me say "Oh.....Malcolm McDowell is still awesome. Good for him"

From what little I know of The Spectre, I think they got him right. Wiki Spectre article.

The action in GA was good, which I forgot to say originally, but it didn't exactly make me say "Wow! I want to know more about Green Arrow!" It made me say "Oh.....Malcolm McDowell is still awesome. Good for him"

True, it wasn't as epic as in the Darkseid vs. Superman and Supergirl fight, for instance, but it was still more compelling than the action in the Spectre one. As the wrath of God, who's gonna be able to challenge the Spectre in combat? Ollie, meanwhile, is a mere man and get kicked around a bit.

True, it wasn't as epic as in the Darkseid vs. Superman and Supergirl fight, for instance, but it was still more compelling than the action in the Spectre one. As the wrath of God, who's gonna be able to challenge the Spectre in combat? Ollie, meanwhile, is a mere man and get kicked around a bit.

They are two different things though. They both work in their own respects, Spectre cutting up the girl with the money and Green Arrow taking on the other guy was interesting as well. Ollie's story was all about action, and a plot that any hero would come across. Spectre's story was about dealing with a small time crime.

It wouldn't be interesting to see GA dealing with a crime scene investigation, just like it wouldn't be interesting to see the Spectre dealing with a kidnapping of a Princess.

Jonah Hex was easily the best one. Green Arrow was better than Spectre, but not by much.

As a whole, I was *really* disappointed with the film. Batman and Superman were totally unlikeable. Barda was the only character that was remotely preserved. And fucking Harbinger? Really?