The Punisher 2

Missy

I know that the scene at the end of the first Punisher where I go up and take everybody out, that's going to be the opening of Punisher 2 where he'll be taking out another set of guys in another place – whole other context.

It's sort of surprising to hear him speak of the film, considering no one else has yet to confirm that there would be a sequel.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Latino Review is reporting that the star of HBO's "Rome", Ray Stevenson has landed the title role in the new Lexi Alexander-directed Punisher movie. The comic book character has previously been played by Dolph Lundgren in the 1989 movie and by Thomas Jane more recently in the 2004 film helmed by Jonathan Hensleigh. Stevenson can next be seen in Screen Gems' horror actioner Outpost.

raystevensonrc4.jpg

The picture with the article isn't a good picture of him. It makes him look like he's in his 40s. Which he is by the way.

• 3 weeks later...

That title is so comic booky. I like it.

Superhero Hype! has learned that the working title for Lionsgate and Marvel Studios' new Punisher film is The Punisher: Welcome Back Frank. Shooting is set to start in Montreal late September.

To be directed by Lexi Alexander (Hooligans) and starring Ray Stevenson (HBO's "Rome") as Frank Castle/The Punisher, the action-thriller was written by Nick Santora, Kurt Sutter, Matt Holloway and Art Marcum.

The film will be set in New York, where Frank Castle runs up against a mobster.

• 2 weeks later...
Superhero Hype! message board member 'Advanced Dark' talked to Ray Stevenson via e-mail at Ray-Stevenson.com about playing the new Frank Castle in Lionsgate's The Punisher: Welcome Back Frank, to be directed by Lexi Alexander. Here is what the actor said about taking on the role:

Although i am still very much in the embrionic stages of developing and discovering FRANK CASTLE's character; what i can say about my approach so far is that I dont wish for anyone to walk out of the theatre wanting to 'be' FRANK CASTLE - Let me explain, I would be mortified if, for any reason, some kid at high school wanted to reach out and right the wrongs of bullying or rejection or isolation by deciding to "tool up" and take out the bad guys ! It is my full intention to have FRANK in such a dark place and do such violence on those beyond redemption that you should feel glad that there is someone who lives in the dark so we may live in the light. (and you cant wait to see what hell he brings to those targeted by him) My training program is the most comprehensive i have ever undertaken and hopefully we will bring all his skills to bear - and then some! Sorry it is a bit sketchy at this stage but we are driving forward and will stay true to the essence of THE PUNISHER!

• 4 weeks later...
It wasn't bad, but I don't know I if I'd ever say it "ruled."

Maybe in comparison to the Dolph Lundgren one

Ha, owned. To say a mediocre movie "ruled" in comparison to the Lundgren movie is a classic jab.

I didn't like "The Punisher". There are dozens of "revenge" movies out there, from Steven Segal's "Hard to Kill" (which basically has the exact same plot) to the Charles Bronson's classic "Death Wish" series. (The first was the best.) If you're going to make a superhero movie, the Punisher is not a good choice because there's no way to separate him from the crowd unless you pit him against a superhuman adversary. (Kevin Nash no-selling the knife doesn't count.)

Dominic West (300, "The Wire") and Wayne Knight (Newman on "Seinfeld") have joined Lionsgate and Marvel Studios' Punisher: War Zone, the action-thriller based on the Marvel Comics character being directed by Lexi Alexander.

Ray Stevenson already is on board to portray the Marvel vigilante. Previously cast were Dash Mihok as Detective Martin Soap, Colin Salmon as Agent Paul Budiansky and Doug Hutchinson as Loony Bin Jim.

West is in talks to play the Punisher's archenemy known as Jigsaw, a mob assassin whose face was torn to shreds and stitched back together like a jigsaw puzzle.

Knight is in negotiations to play Microchip, the Punisher's armorer and confident — the man who supplies him with his stockpile of weapons and one of the few people who knows the Punisher's true identity.

Gale Anne Hurd and Marvel's Kevin Feige are producing, and Avi Arad is executive producing. Shooting is scheduled to begin in October in Montreal.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=37643

Punisher: War Zone director Lexi Alexander has updated her website with the latest casting announcements, but added that T.J. Storm ("Conan") will play Maginty in the movie.

The actor joins a cast that includes Ray Stevenson, Dominic West, Doug Hutchinson, Wayne Knight, Dash Mihok and Colin Salmon.

I admit, I have no idea who the actor, or the character is.

Also, the script is reviewed here. Spoilers ahoy at the link.

This movie is not a direct sequel, since they have changed some of the things that happened in his origin, but it starts out by jumping into the action like a sequel would do.