The news thread

Missy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a sidenote, was Lin himself outraged and offended by this or have people just been outraged and offended on his behalf? And if the latter is true, were the offended people on his behalf solely the Asian-American community?

I can see the potential for offence in this, but it sounds like the wrong people are throwing their arms up in horror. Were it a deliberate slur, then yes, everyone call ESPN on overt vindictiveness. From where I stand, it seems like a dubious pun has been picked up by the media and played out to the point of hyperbole.

Just because you never heard of it, it doesn't make it less racist.

Yes it does, because there's a very good chance that whoever used it also was unaware of its usage as a racist term. There's a decent chance that were I in his position and thought of "chink in the armor," I'd have used it, completely unaware of its racist meaning. Then I'd lose my job because of some arbitrary meaning that I wasn't aware of. How is that fair?

Don't you think it's a journalists responsibility to be across socially accepted forms of language and terminology?

On a side note, I was impressed with Lin's press conference after the loss, basically saying if he was given the credit for the past run of wins, then he has to take the fall for the loss as well. Pretty classy.

Sure...it's no different than watching a football receiver run like crazy and saying "he's running like he stole some hubcaps!"

You really didn't know that "chink" is no different from "wop," "spic," "nigger," or "kike"? It's a pretty common racial slur and the writer knew it. Or he's an idiot. Worst case scenario, lots of people have been fired for being idiots.

The Most Interesting Man in the World has died.

Career highlights:

Age 9: got in a pistol fight by stealing his Scoutmaster's pistol

Age 13: ran away to the jungle

Age 20: attempted suicide by jaguar

Got apprenticed to a pirate

Mom didn't like that, so he temporarily became a mink farmer

Got bored with piracy, decided to row across the Atlantic

• 3 weeks later...

Democrat party of Lake County Florida fly altered American flag.

All politics aside, what was she thinking? I hope she gets fired from her position as the party chairwoman in that county. Desecrating the American flag is stupid and the worse way to go about sending a message, and any point you were trying to get across is going to be lost in the negative backlash. This is something you would expect at an independent rally, not in front of a political headquarters.

Actually there is something wrong with it. Federal flag code states:

-The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

-The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever.

The Obama flag was also, based on the pictures, larger than the American flag flown above it. Flying a larger flag also is against federal flag code.

Also Florida state law states:

"No person shall, in any manner, for exhibition or display:

"(1) Place or cause to be placed any word, figure, mark, picture, design, drawing or advertisement of any nature upon any flag, standard, color, ensign or shield of the United States or of this state, or authorized by any law of the United States or this state; or

"(2) Expose to public view any such flag, standard, color, ensign or shield upon which shall have been printed, painted or otherwise produced, or to which shall have been attached, appended, affixed or annexed any such word, figure, mark, picture, design, drawing or advertisement."

Like I said this isn't about politics, I was just as upset when the Tea Party flew an altered flag in 2009. The flag means a lot to vets and it symbolizes something important to a life spent fighting for it. I'll just have to respectfully disagree with you on this point.

I understand the point Jack is getting at, with the absence of the stars. However, anyone who sees that flag, because it has all the elements of the American flag, minus stars, is immediately going to think it's the American flag, stars or no stars. I guess my outrage is because, same as the vets in the original article, this hits close to home for me. As a vet myself, the flag and what it stands for takes on a special meaning to me, an intangible sense of pride and devotion that is hard to express in words. I've lost friends who paid the ultimate price for what the flag meant to them, so stars or no stars, that Obama flag and others like it such as the Tea Party's and the John Wayne one you posted make me rage when I see them.

It's like people who burn the flag, I understand that the Supreme Court ruled that flag burning is protected by the First Amendment, but that won't stop me from punching someone in the face for doing it.

To vets, the American flag represents the backbone of a life spent defending something, and to see it used as a punchline in any way by any person will always cause anger in me.

I personally think all flags everywhere should be banned around the world as they are more often than not associated with something bad, namely wars and blind patriotism.

As for this piece of news, its just people getting uppity. How is it any different to a million uses of the flag on stickers, ballons, etc with a company logo across it?