The news thread

Missy

Set on fire? Really? It's so absurd that there has to be something deeper going on in these peoples minds.. You can't do that just because you hate 'the gays'. With how much the world generally sucks at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if people are venting their frustrations on one specific group, to help them feel better about themselves.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay. What's been coming out of Penn State w/r/t Sandusky and Paterno et al has been pretty awful. (So has the fact that Penn State students decided to riot over Paterno being fired, but that's something else entirely.) But now there's new stuff coming out, and if it's true, then dear god. Using a program for underpriviledged kids as a pimping source for rich donors is just... I don't have words for it. Really hoping this is just a rumor, but if it isn't? Wow.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-sandusky-rumored-to-have-been-pimping-out-young-boys-to-rich-donors-says-mark-madden.html

Okay. What's been coming out of Penn State w/r/t Sandusky and Paterno et al has been pretty awful. (So has the fact that Penn State students decided to riot over Paterno being fired, but that's something else entirely.) But now there's new stuff coming out, and if it's true, then dear god. Using a program for underpriviledged kids as a pimping source for rich donors is just... I don't have words for it. Really hoping this is just a rumor, but if it isn't? Wow.

http://www.nesn.com/...ark-madden.html

I don't condone rioting for any reason, but I can at least understand why they might want to express their support for a beloved coach.. Paterno is a person who many of them looked up to. How he should have been dealt with is a matter for honest debate. What should not be up for debate is that the grad assistant who witnessed Sandusky horribly abusing a child, and DID NOT STOP THE MAN OR CALL THE POLICE is going to be on the sidelines on Saturday is a travesty.There is NO reason for Paterno to be fired and yet this person still be on the payroll of Penn State. He didn't stop Sandusky. He didn't call the police. He called his father. I fully understand why people agree with Paterno's firing, but this assistant should be hung from the highest tree for his far more inadequate response, which sadly he is not.

If the further rumor is true, it shows the depth of Sandusky's depravity, and that there needs to be more transparency in the actions of boosters and donors at universities everywhere.

What should not be up for debate is that the grad assistant who witnessed Sandusky horribly abusing a child, and DID NOT STOP THE MAN OR CALL THE POLICE is going to be on the sidelines on Saturday is a travesty.

He can't be fired because of the whistle blowers law. He reported it, so he did what he is legally obligated to do. Morally, he's a dick for not pressing it further, but he's untouchable legally and his job is safe.

What should not be up for debate is that the grad assistant who witnessed Sandusky horribly abusing a child, and DID NOT STOP THE MAN OR CALL THE POLICE is going to be on the sidelines on Saturday is a travesty.

He can't be fired because of the whistle blowers law. He reported it, so he did what he is legally obligated to do. Morally, he's a dick for not pressing it further, but he's untouchable legally and his job is safe.

It still makes me sick that he won't be touched over this. I can say with a fair degree of certainty that, had I witnessed what McQueary did, calling dad on the phone would have been far down the list on approrpriate responses.

There is no way in hell Penn State didn't know something in all of this. They fire Paterno (which I wholeheartedly agree with), but they let the guy who WITNESSED this shit going down stay employed. That makes absolutely zero sense unless there's something else we don't know about. And what I think that is, is that some higher-ups in the athletic department told McQueary, "Look, you don't know what you saw. Tell you what--how about we get you a cushy job on the football team if you just let this slide, okay?" Plus, I also think the board of trustees was fed up with Paterno and saw this as their best opportunity to finally get rid of him.

The European Union on Monday prohibited the use of X-ray body scanners in European airports, parting ways with the U.S. Transportation Security Administration, which has deployed hundreds of the scanners as a way to screen millions of airline passengers for explosives hidden under clothing.

The European Commission, which enforces common policies of the EU’s 27 member countries, adopted the rule “in order not to risk jeopardizing citizens’ health and safety.”

[...]

European countries will be allowed to use an alternative body scanner, on that relies on radio frequency waves, which have not been linked to cancer.

http://www.scientifi...y-body-scanners

Well, that's disgusting.

I know the Daily Mail print stories to get people to say just what I've stated, but they normally try and twist it to the BBC, immigrants and Europeans in general. Even worse is the fact a wizened old man makes a 4 year old out to be the sexual predator and gets his risk level reduced on appeal. Ugh.

• 3 weeks later...

On that whole NDAA thing, wasn't it Ben Franklin who said "He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither". Man is on the $100 bill for a reason.

Ben Franklin is my homeboy.

This whole NDAA thing is insane; it's like the Patriot Act times a hundred.

I tweeted that the NDAA makes the Patriot Act look like mom and dad searching through your sock drawer to check to see if you're on drugs.

If it passes, THE ACLU is going to do everything it can to get it declared unconstitutional almost instantly.

There was a time that any such bill would be viewed as treasonous. Constitutional Law almost doesn't even matter for you guys anymore. When Ron Paul is the only horse in the race actually making sense, you guys are fucked.