The news thread

Missy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as they're attention whores (and I like how they're calling them a "church" now)... the logic that they're using to picket his funeral actually makes sense. oO

No it doesn't. It's like a dog shitting on your hated neighbours lawn, yes its an upside for you right now but the dog had no idea what it was doing and tomorrow it'll be right back to yours again.

• 2 weeks later...
As recently as last week, Newt Gingrich's communications director has been criticized by editors on Wikipedia for dozens of edits he has made and requested in defense of his candidate. While some of the changes were minor, Joe DeSantis has removed or asked to remove factual references to Gingrich's three marriages as well as mentions of ethics charges brought against him while he served as speaker of the House. These efforts continued as recently as Monday.....
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/06/gingrich-spokesman-defends-wikipedia-edits

I recently read 1984, so this article got me a lot angrier than I normally would be about this sort of thing.

This is probably the most offensive thing I've ever seen from a respected company like ESPN. Someone better get fired.

d69155545a0611e180c9123czgi.jpg

Last night, ESPN.com's mobile web site posted an offensive headline referencing Jeremy Lin at 2:30 am ET. The headline was removed at 3:05 am ET. We are conducting a complete review of our cross-platform editorial procedures and are determining appropriate disciplinary action to ensure this does not happen again. We regret and apologize for this mistake.

Not for nothing, but I read that and nothing offensive came to mind. It had to be spelled out for me.

This Jeremy Lin story has been dominating for the last little while. Heck, while running errands, I listened to five ESPN podcasts full of Lin talk. Everyone has seemed to have been waiting for the other shoe to drop. The shoe dropped.

And see what I just typed there. Waiting for the other show to drop. A commonly used idiom. Just like a chink in the armor. Replace Jeremy Lin in that photo and replace it with Tim Tebow. Is there outrage? No.

I get why it was pull and ESPN is trying to spin this. PR spin control. People saw something and in the twitter age, it gets attention. But, like I said to start, I saw nothing because I wasn't looking for anything.

Yes, it is a racial slur. However, chink in the armor is commonly used phrase that has zero racial overtones. Can the phrase not have been use because the media (mainly ESPN) have been building this guy up to be Superman or the Knicks 'Knight In Shinning Armor"?

I just read this.

It's an ugly word that happens to double as a type of fissure that would serve as an Achilles heel of sorts in a knight's suit of armor. I'm not being overly cautious when I tell you without looking that, honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if I used that phrase in my breakdown of New York's acquisition of J.R. Smith from Friday, or any other post that or any other day. It's a go-to sports cliché.

So, if it is a go-to sports cliche, then why cannot it be used in this sports story?

I'll leave it at this. Think back to the story about Kilowog last year. Someone saw racial overtones in the name. Doesn't make it true.

I despise the constant and often inaccurate cries of racism in this country, especially in sports. So when I say that there's a massive racist bias against Asian athletes, I really do mean it. And to use a phrase like "Chink in the Armor"there's no way that was a mistake. It's disgraceful.

Not for nothing, but I read that and nothing offensive came to mind. It had to be spelled out for me.

See, it hit me straight away. I know it's an age old saying that was never designed to cause offence, but I also know I'd never it to describe an Asian person because I've heard "chink" used by people who were obnoxiously, awfully racist. Hell, I've heard that exact phrase used to make fun of an Asian person. I'd like to believe that the person who wrote it was ignorant of the word's use as a racial slur, but that's not my gut reaction.

Time to go into George Carlin mode here:

I think the problem is that people find words offensive at all. Words are just a collection of letters thrown together. They are completely neutral. It's the racist asshole saying them that you need to worry about. That article header in and of itself is harmless. "Chink in the armor" is a phrase that has been used for a very long time. It's people who look for things to be offended by that cause censorship to be the rampant problem it is in today's society.

</end George Carlin mode>