The news thread

Missy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Walker narrowly won last night - 53.2 to 46.3%.

You know what? Sucks that he survived, but, here's the thing. That's a 7% lead; pretty narrow all things considered. Also, 2.5 MILLION people turned out to vote. That's pretty awesome, and in some cases, with same day registrations included, counties had a 100%+ turnout. At least there wasn't apathy.

And, y'know, we managed to flip the Senate in Dem favor, so at least hell can be raised there, especially with right to work legislation apparently just waiting on the right time politically to be passed.

So, yeah, depressing that he pulled through, but you know what? This isn't over by a long shot.

A lot of news programs and papers are speculating that this might mean doom for Obama come November, but I'm thinking the opposite. The results in Wisconsin just might scare left-leaning-but-fence-sitting voters into voting booths.

• 3 weeks later...

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2012/06/jesse_ventura_defends_gay_marriage.php

Former Minnesota governor Jessie Ventura says he will do whatever he can to help defeat the proposed constitutional amendment that would ban gay marriage. His fervor for the issue stems from his pro wrestling days.

"I certainly hope that people don't amend our constitution to stop gay marriage because, No. 1, the constitution is there to protect people, not oppress them," Ventura told the Post Bulletin.

In November, Minnesota voters will decide whether the constitution should be amended to define marriage as being between one woman and one man.

The issue of gay marriage is close to Ventura's heart, he said, because when he was a pro wrestler one of his friends who was gay had been with his partner for more than 20 years. When the partner got sick, the friend was not able to visit his bedside because the hospital would only allow spouses and family members.

"And because they are not allowed to be married, he's neither," Ventura said. "That's cruel."

"You have to politicians with courage, who will stand up and say this is a civil rights issue," Ventura continued. "Where do we get off that the government should decide who you should fall in love with and marry?"

Is there a betting agency offering an over/under on when the Republicans will support gay marriage?

• 2 weeks later...

Have a feel-good story about BACA (Bikers Against Child Abuse), an awesome volunteer group. This story will make you bawl.

Excerpted:

What Rembrandt knows is that a biker's power and intimidating image can even the playing field for a little kid who has been hurt. If the man who hurt this little girl calls or drives by, or even if she is just scared, another nightmare, the bikers will ride over and stand guard all night.

If she is afraid to go to school, they will take her and watch until she's safely inside.

And if she has to testify against her abuser in court, they will go, too, walking with her to the witness stand and taking over the first row of seats. Pipes will tell her, "Look at us, not him." And when she's done, they will circle her again and walk her out.

"When we tell a child they don't have to be afraid, they believe us," Pipes says. "When we tell them we will be there for them, they believe us."

I was crying on the first page, I'm on page three and I'm bawling.

...No. Aaron, just. No.

There are two sad things that happened around these two films, but that literally has nothing to do with the films themselves. I see what you're trying to get at, but it's totally and utterly pointless. Heath Ledger ODing and some pissant murdering a dozen people don't need to be mentioned in the same breath.

And nothing against you, but I swear to God, the first time I hear some moron talk about the "Dark Knight Curse," it will be a verbal barrage of destruction.

Regardless of the fact that they're not really comparable incidents, it's going to be perceived that that way by the a lot of the public. (granted, because people are stupid and superstitious.) What I meant was that it's an unfortunate seeming coincidence that people will take to be a "curse" or something like it.