Random video game thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing the Twisted Metal demo, and I got to say, it's a lot of fun. The levels are huge, took a couple of plays before I drove the whole map. I'm dissapointed to hear from previews that one player mode won't have much in the way of a story. The one player level on the demo, to me atleast, is pretty difficult. It's basically you against 8 enemies. The enemies don't shot each other, only you. So basically you have to keep moving and just take pop shots when you can, if you stop too long to focus on one guy, next thing you know you're getting hit my 4 specials at once. I guess that's my only complaint, as the online mode is a lot of fun.

Played through FFXIII-2 so far, starting Catherine. FFXIII-2, while the monster allies are interesting, the paradigm system still isn't as good as it could be, and the "cinematic events" are just dumb. Catherine, meanwhile, is really intriguing. Where I'm at in the demo, went through a puzzle on Easy, and now I'm playing through some time in the bar.

The servers for Twisted Metal suck, it takes way too many tries to get in a game. For a game that was built around online multiplayer with the one player made being an afterthought, this is horrible. Hopefully it's fixed before the game is released.

El Shaddai is... interesting. It's very pretty, and the fighting mechanics are pretty solid, but the way the art is rendered you can't judge distance/depth accurately, and thus you'll be spending a lot of time accidentally dropping into holes when you thought you would be able to make it on a double jump. It's cheap enough that it might be justifiable.

Bayonetta, meanwhile, is WEIRD. One of the special attacks I did had the heroine getting nude and her hair turning into a sentient dragon that killed the heaven creature. Yeah. It's interesting, but it was pretty fun. Definitely thinking of picking it up.

So, so far, this is how everything's panning out:

Need to get:

Catherine

Bayonetta

Maybe?

El Shaddai

NO:

FFXIII-2

To play:

Bastion

Portal: Still Alive

Bioshock

Arkham Asylum

Scott Pilgrim the Game

As soon as I go through these, I'll add some of your demos to the list, Dubs. :)

Further demo thoughts:

Arkham Asylum: took me a few runthroughs of the demo to get a good hold of the controls, but seems like it'll be fun in the long run. Not going to be high priority right now, I don't think, but will definitely buy it at some point in the future.

Bioshock: Okay, yeah, no matter what light I play in, this freaks me the fuck out. Plus, I'm not that big of a fan of shooters. Might get this if I have somone who'll be in the room with me when playing to latch onto, but otherwise, not a high priority.

EDIT: Liked the demos of the three Live games I bought, but I have to figure out points prior to buying the whole thing, so they may be a while.

Portal: had to try out this classic. not as dumb as I thought I would be when figuring out the puzzles, so that's good. The demo is ten levels, gives you a good sense of how things begin with the game. Definitely getting this at some point.

Scott Pilgrim: fun little 8-bit game, had to figure out how the 2D space worked for it, and that was a bit of a learning curve, but definitely quite a fun experience. Need to get it as soon as I have points.

Bastion: surprisingly fun little game. Not quite sure what to think of it at this point, but again, gonna get it when I get some points.

So, of the demos I played, this is where I stand:

Bought:

Catherine

Bayonetta

Buy At Some Point:

Arkham Asylum

Portal

Scott Pilgrim

Bastion

Maybe:

El Shaddai

Bioshock

No:

FFXIII-2

And the new round I just downloaded are:

Enslaved

Mirror's Edge

Braid

Castle Crashers

Pac Man Championship Edition

Beyond Good and Evil HD

Beautiful Katamari

• 2 weeks later...

They're backwards compatible, yes, but the 3DS is actually doing very well now, better than the original DS did at this point in its lifecycle. It's really weird that they're not upgrading. The only thing that makes sense is that they wouldn't be able to use the old Pokemon DS engine (its sprites wouldn't really work all that well with a 3D screen), so they need more time before they can release a proper 3DS game. Maybe this is just something to bide time until then?