Random video game thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gamestop has been calling people to tell them that their Last Guardian pre-orders have been canceled because the game has been canceled. Sony says the the game isn't canceled. It's mass confusion.

As far as I can tell, Gamestop cancelled the pre-order bc they only do pre-orders for games with an actual release frame or some such thing. And I'm pretty sure the designer and the executive just left Sony, but the designer is apparently still committed to the game through a contract?

So, not cancelled. ...Yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Some guys from 4Chan got together and made a video game about dating disabled girls. No, seriously....

Nearly two years ago, Leigh wrote a great column on a dating game called Katawa Shoujo being made by members of a 4chan group. What made it stand out were two things: one, it's been on the drawing board for over a decade, and two, it was a dating game based on girls at a school for disabled teenagers.

Regardless of what you think of the game's content, the fact it came from a messageboard story, took that long to complete and involved over 20 developers working around the world is pretty damn interesting.

Those interested (and over 18, as it's an erotic dating sim) know that it's now been finished and is available to play on Windows, Mac and Linux systems. If you're under 18, or at work? Don't sweat, you can turn the erotic stuff off and just enjoy the chit-chat.

http://kotaku.com/5872886/that-game-about-dating-disabled-girls-is-finished-ready-for-download

• 2 weeks later...

You and Aaron really need to do a catch all Zelda episode, "Ganondorf fucks things up, Link gets artifacts from Fire, Water, Earth and Air. Link beats Ganondorf. Fishing."

More like a Tirades episode, given my general opinion of the series.

I read this...and my middle finger becomes aroused.

All joking aside, these types of stories are kind of ingrained in the human DNA. The hero stories are not exactly different at all, and they all seem to boil down to the same basic elements. All the other trappings are just icing.

One of the best ways to "test drive" games is to make use of Gamestop's 7-day used games return policy. The people at my local store frequently tell customers to use that return policy, for any reason. The idea, apparently, is that even if you buy-then-return six games in a row, eventually you'll land on one you like and keep it.

The stories I could tell of people abusing that policy when I managed a store could fill several volumes.

As for demos...

Enslaved

Mirror's Edge

Trials HD

Puzzle Quest

'Spolsion Man

Stacking

Braid

Portal

Castle Crashers

Pac Man Championship Edition

Beyond Good and Evil HD :detective:

The sucky thing is that most XBL demos aren't really great at letting you do a "test drive;" it's more of a "you can sit down in the car and touch the steering wheel, but the ignition doesn't work."

There's a fair number of games out there for cheap enough that it might still be worth it. Halo 3 is $5 last I checked.

Re: Dubs:

The people at my local store specifically tell their customers that it's okay to return the game even if it's just because they finished the story mode within the 7 days and are bored with it. I would have assumed that it was just some rogue employees not caring if customers abuse the policy, but it turns out that's not the case.

I had a conversation with the manager of the store there, and he explained that the CEO of Gamestop actually lives nearby and visits that specific store frequently, so every single minor policy they have, including the way they encourage or discourage returns, has to be completely in line with company standards. It used to be that they'd actually discourage you from using the return policy, but over the last year or two things have changed a bit (maybe because the CEO changed? Just my guess). Now the deal is that they figure the benefits of allowing people to do that counter their potential losses. If customers forget to return the game in 7 days, Gamestop has their money forever. If even one cent of the game is paid for with store credit, customers can only get their money back in store credit, thus Gamestop still has their money forever. And even if customers are paying entirely in cash and buying-then-returning a steady stream of games, they're still walking into the store where they can be ambushed by a billion kinds of advertising and pre-order bonuses.