Random video game thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to be getting an XBox 360 Arcade off a friend for a pretty good price. Game suggestions (except for FPSes)?

Gears of War 1+2 are fun, Burnout: Paradise is a great game, Fable 2&3, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire Batman: Arkham Asylum and Crackdown 1, not 2 and Bayonetta.

Dubs should be here soon to finish off, and give you a full list of games you should try and play.

XBOX Live: Castle Crashers.

Edit: Oh, and Devil May Cry 4 should be pretty cheap now, so that's worth tracking down.

First game anyone should get for a 360 is Oblivion. It's the ultimate time killer and will hold you over until new stuff comes along.

After that, it just really depends on what you're looking for.

Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon - I put these at the top because they seem up your alley, the 360 isn't a great JRPG system, honestly.

Mass Effect 1 and 2 - like Dan said. They're shooter based, but pretty easy.

Portal 2 - memes don't compare to the real thing.

Arkkam Asylum - price on this should drop when City comes out.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance - should be cheap now.

Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 - essential for any collection.

XBLA stuff

Castle Crashers, Braid - everyone has these.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - again, seems up your alley.

Portal: Still Alive - normally I'd recommend the Orange Box, but you probably don't have any use for the other games.

Stacking - russian nesting doll adventure, it's quite great.

Beyond Good and Evil HD - cheap and awesome.

Some iffy ones

Bayonetta - I love it, but you may find it too difficult.

Nier - great if you're completely insane like me.

Enslaved - underrated action/adventure, but not for everybody.

Rez HD - you may find it too weird.

Dubs has basically good suggestions there, but if I can offer some commentary on a few:

First game anyone should get for a 360 is Oblivion. It's the ultimate time killer and will hold you over until new stuff comes along.

Definitely. I've explored so much, I haven't even finished the game yet. (I only got it last year and have hundreds of hours in. Not easy with two kids)

Marvel Ultimate Alliance - should be cheap now.

Good game. But don't - FREAKING DON'T - get No. 2 by accident. Giving someone MUA 2 is a war crime in most countries.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - again, seems up your alley.

Fair warning: My copy, awesome as it was, crashed on me constantly. I still can't play the whole game, but I can't bring myself to delete it.

Rez HD - you may find it too weird.

You probably will.

Gamestop have outdone themselves.

Original Story: Those who opted for a physical copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution were greeted with a pleasant surprise yesterday. Included with the retail game was a code that could be redeemed for a free OnLive copy -- unless, of course, the game was purchased at GameStop.

Gamespy reports it heard from multiple GameStop customers complaining about opened games and missing codes. It also heard from an anonymous source claiming to be a GameStop employee who passed along the note seen below. It shows what appears to be management instructing employees to remove and discard the OnLive codes from all PC copies of the game.

As outrageous as it sounds, a GameStop PR rep, Beth Sharum, confirmed that this was the case, telling GameSpy, "Square Enix packed the competitor's coupon with our DXHR product without our prior knowledge and we did pull and discard these coupons."

318.jpg

An OnLive copy of Deus Ex goes for the same price as a retail copy -- $49.99 -- so it's not as if this is a few bucks being thrown away. And while you're unable to go between playing the OnLive game and retail game with the same save file, it's still a really nice freebie. GameStop withholding it from its customers without telling them is not going to make the company look good.

It's easy to see why it did this -- along with its acquisition of Steam competitor Impulse earlier this year, GameStop purchased Spawn Labs, a streaming tech company. It recently announced that Spawn Labs is conducting a beta of its game streaming service, with plans to open the beta later this year and to launch the service nationwide in 2012. We don't know all the details about Spawn Labs' project, but by streaming games, it makes OnLive a fairly direct competitor.

OnLive, meanwhile, has several things going for it -- it's already been available for more than a year now and has been able to somewhat establish itself. Its initial plan to charge users a monthly fee has been dropped, now allowing for anyone to sample games and purchase them without paying any additional fees. For what it does -- stream games to your PC, OnLive Game System (letting you play on a TV), tablet, or other compatible device -- it works well provided you've got a capable Internet connection. Its big challenge has been to get gamers to try it out, and including a free copy in a game that will likely sell very well is an excellent way to do that. GameStop clearly didn't want to give OnLive any additional exposure in addition to what may end up being a two-plus year head start. OnLive has yet to offer a comment on the situation, but it surely cannot be pleased that this deal it secured with Deus Ex publisher Square Enix has been partially ruined by GameStop.

Update: In addition to what's been said by GameStop PR, a statement was posted on Facebook which reads, "Regarding the Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Codes: We don't make a habit of promoting competitive services without a formal partnership. Square Enix packed the competitor's coupon with our DXHR product without our prior knowledge and we did pull these coupons. While the new products may be opened, we fully guarantee the condition of the discs to be new. If you find this to not be the case, please contact the store where the game was purchased and they will further assist."

We're still waiting on an official statement from OnLive.

I would say "unbelievable", but as a former Gamestop manager, I believe it.

• 2 weeks later...

Gamestop have outdone themselves.

Original Story: Those who opted for a physical copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution were greeted with a pleasant surprise yesterday. Included with the retail game was a code that could be redeemed for a free OnLive copy -- unless, of course, the game was purchased at GameStop.

Gamespy reports it heard from multiple GameStop customers complaining about opened games and missing codes. It also heard from an anonymous source claiming to be a GameStop employee who passed along the note seen below. It shows what appears to be management instructing employees to remove and discard the OnLive codes from all PC copies of the game.

As outrageous as it sounds, a GameStop PR rep, Beth Sharum, confirmed that this was the case, telling GameSpy, "Square Enix packed the competitor's coupon with our DXHR product without our prior knowledge and we did pull and discard these coupons."

318.jpg

An OnLive copy of Deus Ex goes for the same price as a retail copy -- $49.99 -- so it's not as if this is a few bucks being thrown away. And while you're unable to go between playing the OnLive game and retail game with the same save file, it's still a really nice freebie. GameStop withholding it from its customers without telling them is not going to make the company look good.

It's easy to see why it did this -- along with its acquisition of Steam competitor Impulse earlier this year, GameStop purchased Spawn Labs, a streaming tech company. It recently announced that Spawn Labs is conducting a beta of its game streaming service, with plans to open the beta later this year and to launch the service nationwide in 2012. We don't know all the details about Spawn Labs' project, but by streaming games, it makes OnLive a fairly direct competitor.

OnLive, meanwhile, has several things going for it -- it's already been available for more than a year now and has been able to somewhat establish itself. Its initial plan to charge users a monthly fee has been dropped, now allowing for anyone to sample games and purchase them without paying any additional fees. For what it does -- stream games to your PC, OnLive Game System (letting you play on a TV), tablet, or other compatible device -- it works well provided you've got a capable Internet connection. Its big challenge has been to get gamers to try it out, and including a free copy in a game that will likely sell very well is an excellent way to do that. GameStop clearly didn't want to give OnLive any additional exposure in addition to what may end up being a two-plus year head start. OnLive has yet to offer a comment on the situation, but it surely cannot be pleased that this deal it secured with Deus Ex publisher Square Enix has been partially ruined by GameStop.

Update: In addition to what's been said by GameStop PR, a statement was posted on Facebook which reads, "Regarding the Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Codes: We don't make a habit of promoting competitive services without a formal partnership. Square Enix packed the competitor's coupon with our DXHR product without our prior knowledge and we did pull these coupons. While the new products may be opened, we fully guarantee the condition of the discs to be new. If you find this to not be the case, please contact the store where the game was purchased and they will further assist."

We're still waiting on an official statement from OnLive.

I would say "unbelievable", but as a former Gamestop manager, I believe it.

gamestop_policy1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

From a seven year old thread that I clicked for some reason.

I remember playing some ninja game on the TurboGrafx 16, but I can't recall the name. Anyone out there know what game I'm talking about?

Ninja Spirit. Yes Mike, you can finally sleep knowing the answer to this.

So it's official; after Arkham City comes out, I'm done with Gamestop forever. They decided to shut down the one right next to my house. It makes no sense that if I'm going to walk eight blocks to get to a game store, why can't I just walk to the trolley and head up to San Diego to a game store that gives a rat's ass? And to Gamestop, I bid you a big "fuck you".

Edited by D.W.