Random video game thoughts

JackFetch

The 3DS isn't exactly a failure, it's just not a great success. It's "meh." It's actually done better than the first DS did in its first year. And having played through Skyward Sword almost twice now, that bug would be very hard to trigger. You'd have to actually ignore the directions the game gives you and deliberately do four unconnected things out of order. Overall, Skyward is incredibly polished.

But yes, perception is important. They need more than new blood; they need a much broader focus. And get more studios like Retro doing great games Americans want to play.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the general sense that the 3DS will do fine, but it won’t be the massive success the DS was. Yeah, they had weaker sales near with the DS early on, but once it gained momentum it just kept going. I doubt that the 3DS will do that in the current market. The fact that they’re selling a console at a loss for the first time is kind of amazing to me, but it’s not hard to see why

Playing Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection. Shadow is a lot easier than I remember. Probably because the first time I played it on PS2, I didn't know about the shining lizards and fruit power ups. The last boss was a bitch when faced with bare bones stats.

That Transformers:Fall of Cybertron trailer gave me chills. Why can't we get that as a movie?

One of the things that the Prime continuity (includes the War for Cybertron games and the Prime TV series) gets really well is the fact that Transformers stories are best when handled as war stories, and the bots are treated like soldiers, with all the wartime band-of-brothers emotion that should go along with it. Until the movies switch directors they're probably not going to get that.

On that note, how badass would it be if Spielberg stepped up from his Exec. Producer position on the TF films and actually just directed them?

That Transformers:Fall of Cybertron trailer gave me chills. Why can't we get that as a movie?

One of the things that the Prime continuity (includes the War for Cybertron games and the Prime TV series) gets really well is the fact that Transformers stories are best when handled as war stories, and the bots are treated like soldiers, with all the wartime band-of-brothers emotion that should go along with it. Until the movies switch directors they're probably not going to get that.

On that note, how badass would it be if Spielberg stepped up from his Exec. Producer position on the TF films and actually just directed them?

I think if there's a criticism that's tough to level at Transformers, especially the last two, it's that they don't have heavy war elements. The final hour of the last film was nothing but a pitched war in Chicago. I grant you it should be a more consistent deal throughout the films but to be honest, the human element and smaller scale encounters have always been as much as part of Transformers as the massive conflicts have.

I'm sorry, but if I hit you with a goddamned RPG rocket, you should fucking disintegrate; not keep running and blast me with a shotgun. MW3 is a great time-waster and I've certainly put a lot of hours into it, but shotguns are grossly overpowered and launchers are grossly underpowered in this game.

I think if there's a criticism that's tough to level at Transformers, especially the last two, it's that they don't have heavy war elements. The final hour of the last film was nothing but a pitched war in Chicago. I grant you it should be a more consistent deal throughout the films but to be honest, the human element and smaller scale encounters have always been as much as part of Transformers as the massive conflicts have.

It's true. I was actually a big fan of the way TF3 handled the Chicago occupation and all that, but what I meant was more that the story should focus more on battlefield emotion, not just the fact that they're battling. The beginning of the Fall of Cybertron trailer, with Optimus carrying a wounded Bumblebee, was the kind of thing they really needed more of in the films.

One of the things that really makes TF: Prime work is that even when dealing with day-to-day life, the Autobots carry the weight of being soldiers rather than jumpy cartoon characters like in the live-action movies. The human kids in that show even understand the seriousness of what's happening (they have to learn it, but still).

Watching the VGAs. They just revealed a PS3 exclusive game called "The Last of Us". It looks intriguing, but I'm so over the post apocalyptic setting in games.

Agree with you on both counts. Will be interesting to see how the 2 character thing plays out, would be great it if switches all the time between the 2 mid fight, like if the one I'm controlling gets in a grapple, it switches to the other character for the save.

• 2 weeks later...