The Convention Thread

dc20willsave

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Weather as of right now for Chicago is supposed to be somewhere between sunny and partly cloudy the entire time. Thursday we'll have a high of 52 degrees. Friday through Monday however, expect between low and high 60s.

I think I have everyone's phone numbers that are going to be out and about. If anyone needs or lost mine, just PM me.

Dubs, if I ever come down Atlanta ways, I will get a pizza during my layover in Chicago and bring it with me on the bus. How nice it'll be after this happens is questionable, but still. :P Alternatively, we call you while we're playing CAH one of those nights, if you're cool with it.

Will, just text me when you land, and I should be nearby - I'll be going to lunch at the Little Goat with college friends at 12:30, but we should be done by the time you roll in.

Maybe I'll post deeper show thoughts later, maybe not, but in all my years as an Oratory/Earth-2 guy, Koete/Chris is the first person to be exactly the same in the fleshworld as he is in my mind. This is no insult, I swear.

Most of my thoughts on C2E2 2013 will be captured elsewhere soonish but are 8 quick thoughts:

1) Five people is the most you can comfortably fit in a room. Six can work but someone's going to develop a martyr complex and decide to sleep in the chair. The hard, uncomfortable chair.

2) Card games are fun but you can't get a good conversation during them.

3) On the same subject, most of us are horrible depraved human beings.

4) Getting in the night before the con is almost required.

5) They need to get bigger spaces for the panels next year.

6) The best restrooms are well hidden and worth keeping the secret of once you discover them.

7) If someone asks you to take part in a focus group, it's worth doing. They actually want to hear what you say and you get your pass comped for the next year.

8) There is no problem with showing up 30 minutes after the con floor opens since you can just walk in by that point.

9) Apparently good chicken can from a shack.

10) The secret to not getting a hangover is to have enough non-drinkers around that you just don't want to drink as much.

Maybe I'll post deeper show thoughts later, maybe not, but in all my years as an Oratory/Earth-2 guy, Koete/Chris is the first person to be exactly the same in the fleshworld as he is in my mind. This is no insult, I swear.

I'll take it.

Most of my thoughts on C2E2 2013 will be captured elsewhere soonish but are 8 quick thoughts:

1) Five people is the most you can comfortably fit in a room. Six can work but someone's going to develop a martyr complex and decide to sleep in the chair. The hard, uncomfortable chair.

2) Card games are fun but you can't get a good conversation during them.

3) On the same subject, most of us are horrible depraved human beings.

4) Getting in the night before the con is almost required.

5) They need to get bigger spaces for the panels next year.

6) The best restrooms are well hidden and worth keeping the secret of once you discover them.

7) If someone asks you to take part in a focus group, it's worth doing. They actually want to hear what you say and you get your pass comped for the next year.

8) There is no problem with showing up 30 minutes after the con floor opens since you can just walk in by that point.

9) Apparently good chicken can from a shack.

10) The secret to not getting a hangover is to have enough non-drinkers around that you just don't want to drink as much.

1. Yeah. I love you guys, but not six people in a room love you guys.

3. Duh. :P

4. So long as you can find good transport times, yeah, it's a good idea to get in a day (or two) early, and maybe stay the next day too. Depends on how many vacation days you have to burn.

5. That was the one tradeoff of going back to the 2010 space - huge show floor, but the panel spaces weren't exactly the greatest utilized.

6. They're along the very back wall of the con floor, back behind all the food vendors.

7. You lucky fuck. :P

8. That. Plus, the older you get, the more you like your sleep.

9. Harold's is awesome, and needs to be added to our regular restaurants, besides the Yolk and Gios.

10. In related news, mixers are very much your friend.

And additionally, 11. Those public transport cards/passes are worth investing in, because sometimes, you just don't want to walk a round trip of three miles.

Thursday and Monday were great relaxation days, once we were settled, so they're definitely something I'll be planning for next year. Also, Chris, it was great coming in to get you on Friday morning, and finally getting to see you in person. :)

For the most part, the show floor was a lot roomier this year, and I only had to break out the bitch move it moves once or twice on Saturday in the narrower aisles. Honestly, I'm kind of glad DC didn't show up on the con floor, as it meant some of the smaller indie publishers (see: Archaia) got bigger booths this year. (But, seriously, two to four year old comics shoved in boxes on the shuttles? Wow.) In terms of panel space, the panel rooms were sufficient for the ones I went to - though, except for the Ron Perlman panel, I mostly went to smaller panels. And on the Perlman panel, they even let those of us non VIPs jump up to the front rows when they weren't filling them up. Also, surprisingly, I got a really good phone signal in the entire McCormick this year, which hasn't happened in the past.

I got in a good balance of wandering the con floor, shopping, visiting with folks other than you guys ( ;) ) and panels, and hanging with you guys in the evenings and mornings was always fun. As always, Cards Against Humanity and breaking Mike's brain with Adventure Time was great.

In short, looking forward to seeing more of you fuckers next year. :P

• 2 months later...

Man.

I know myself well enough to know that SDCC is an experience I would fucking LOATHE. I don't do crowds especially well, other people piss me off to no end, lines aren't my thing, so on and so forth.

But I can never manage to totally switch off the feeling like I should be there.

So I am back to thinking about trying to swing Anime Detour (April 4-6) and c2e2 (April 25-27) in 2014. Of course c2e2 was always in the cards due to the 10th anniversary and a friend of mine in Grand Forks wants to get a road trip going. My finances are doing well. Fingers crossed.