The Convention Thread

dc20willsave

I'm going to Arisia, but that's so local I barely count it. C2E2 is the only big con I'm committed to. Wendee wants to hit DC now that the Kramer situation is resolved, but that's easily a $1000 weekend and I don't see it happening next year.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh yeah, my local cons I didn't count in there. DC would be fun but it's a bit out of my price range. Mind you Megabus does go fron Cincy to Atlanta but then you still got hotels and food to worry about. C2E2 is in that nice period around when I get my Tax Refund so its usually a bit more doable.

C2E2 is always doable because transport and hotelling is usually pretty cheap for me (yay for $1bus rides, and sharing rooms and tax refunds). I'm still thinking about doing PAX East next year - it all depends on train prices, when it is, and some other stuff.

Basically, the measure of whether or not I do a con, if it's not within a one state radius, is if I have someone who lives in the area - thus, how I was able to do NYCC that one year for relatively cheap, I had a friend in Brooklyn who I stayed with.

Also, for the Brits, currently Heathrow to O'hare is currently 900-ish American for a round trip flight, assuming you arrive in on Wednesday and leave on Monday. If there's anyplace else with a hub of E-2ers that I'm forgetting to do travel research, please, let me know and I can do it because I think I might be some kinda happy planning fairy.

I think I pulled the short straw when it came to things to be good at.

I would love to come for one of the meet ups. But due to my current situation, and the fact that I need to make it around a week trip to justify going all the way to Chicago, I don't think I'm going to meet any of you any time soon :cry:

Technically you don't - I was there for 4 nights last time around. Sure, I wish I'd been there longer, but I crammed a lot in. So to speak.

Again, I'm not going to be able to say one way or t'other until the end of the year.

Holy fuck, am I exhausted.

Seriously, a few years ago Boston Comic Con was literally a roomful of maybe a dozen local comics dealers with an actor from a long-cancelled TV show off in the corner.

Last year, they got some guys from MAD Magazine to swing by for a panel or two, there was a moderately attended artist's alley with some second and third-tier names on hand, and the dealers room was pretty full. I could have counted the cosplayers on my hands. I spent MAYBE two hours and went home.

I was there for the full day and still hadn't gotten to see everything I wanted today. Neal Adams told stories. Mike Mignola sketched my friend's daughter. Dan DiDio ran the "future of DC" panel. The Marvel version is tomorrow. I met George Perez, Phil Jimenez, and Cully Hammer. And the dealer's room was fucking PLUGGED. You couldn't throw a dart without hitting three cosplayers. You couldn't move for all the people, and the space was almost twice as big as last year.

I don't know what happened, but this is pretty amazing. To see a show grow from something tiny to something fairly sizable is incredible to see. I can almost see this show being C2E2-sized in five years it this keeps up.

And oddly enough, I spent by far the least amount of money I ever have at a con. I got three gorgeous hardcover Marvel collections for under $35. I think I spent more on food.

Okay, after a conversation in chat, here is a prospective room plotting as it exists at this moment. This is subject to change.

Room 1 is Will and Kellen with 2 empty slots. Past experience has show that four people is the comfort allotment with two people sharing a bed. I promise, no spooning on Will's part. We are both getting in on Wednesday of the con. The 2 Empty slots are subject to approval and are first come-first serve.

Room 2 is Hannah, Matt, Will's Dan, and Will's Friend Addison. Those last three will prospectively be getting in on Thursday while Hannah will get in on Wednesday so she will be staying in room 1 that night.

This is all very prospective and subject to change depending on people's desired level of comfort/when they're getting in.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...