Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is nothing deep about that movie, nothing at all. Some shallow vapid girl accused of murder could get off, but it would mean letting the public know she's had lipo. So another shallow vapid girl defends her, and gets her off with her keen fashion sense. It may as well have been Barbie Goes to Trial.

Ok, so I just finished season 3 of Merlin. I can't figure out why nobody could tell Morgana was evil. She didn't even try to hide it with her evil smiles whenever something bad was happening.

Arthur: My Lord, we are being attacked by a magical creature!

Uther: We must defeat this creature at all cost!

(Morgana sits next to Uther in full view of everyone with an evil smile)

Also I recently watched My Stepmother is an Alien. Wow, was Alyson Hannigan an awkward teenager or what?

The controversy lies in saying that Natalie Portman did most of the dancing you see her doing in the movie, as I understand it. If the dancer DID do most of that work, then she should be getting higher billing than just a dance double, and probably a larger amount of pay.

(Although, the last I heard Aronofsky said at the end of March that the dancer's claim was BS, and that was the end of it. And from what I read, she is apparently friends with the girl that the choreographer dumped to be with Natalie, so I could see it being more ballerina bitches be crazy than "principles".)

The controversy lies in saying that Natalie Portman did most of the dancing you see her doing in the movie, as I understand it. If the dancer DID do most of that work, then she should be getting higher billing than just a dance double, and probably a larger amount of pay.

(Although, the last I heard Aronofsky said at the end of March that the dancer's claim was BS, and that was the end of it. And from what I read, she is apparently friends with the girl that the choreographer dumped to be with Natalie, so I could see it being more ballerina bitches be crazy than "principles".)

Even if she did 90% of it, she's still just a dance double.

Dance double seems like an entirely suitable credit there. It's not like the Ray Park/Peter Serafinowicz deal, where it was clearly the physical side doing the heavy lifting on screen, it's Natalie's performance that brings it in the film. If this were a Wu-shu martial arts film fine, but the dancing (whilst impressive) isn't the draw for Black Swan.

She didn't win an Oscar for her ability to dance.

Actually, that was part of it. Her "dedication" to the role, to the point of actually becoming a competent ballerina and being able to portray that physically has been said to be a major factor in her Oscar win.

No, it's for acting. The same thing Oscars have always been for. It's "Best Actress", not "Most Dedicated Actress".

'wing's not entirely wrong there, Deniro, Rourke, Bale, they all got greater recognition for certain parts based on what they were willing to do for the role, be it gain 40 lbs, lose 40lbs or pump themselves full of 'roids. Heck, Theron got the Oscar for going ugly. It's not that these people can't act, they certainly can and were great in those roles, but the hook, the thing that got people to pay attention to how great they were is what they did to themselves for it.

• 2 weeks later...