Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, I've been marathoning Power Rangers nonstop lately. Watched a bunch of the classic Mighty Morphin, as well as the first 2/3 of Mystic Force.

MF is actually really good; I'm kinda surprised. Decent amount of character development, a good high fantasy backstory, and a great pseudo-villain. It's all got the classic Power Rangers cheesy style all over it, but that's cool by me.

Also watched this new promo for Samurai, and it looks like they're actually using the classic theme. About time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbQ68_QMvQs

The courts have ruled that the FCC can't fine stations for airing nudity.

Applying the same reasoning that the court used to throw out fines Fox incurred after airing unscripted obscene words during an award show, the three-judge appellate panel vacated the ABC forfeiture order, finding that the agency's indecency policy is "unconstitutionally vague."

source

The best part? MSNBC used the ruling as an excuse to show the NYPD Blue nude scene on the air last night.

Looking forward to Episodes tonight. Matt Le Blanc as himself in a comedy about two British writers trying to make it in LA. Tamsin Grieg and Stephen Mangan are usually great, so this has definite potential. Probably all hinges on Matt's ability to somewhat reinvent/revive himself in a new format, ala Shatner or Alec Baldwin.

Apparently Aronofsky wants a stab at doing a Bats adaptation.

Among other things, Bruce flees after his parents are murdered, and goes to live above a car garage with Big Al, and his son Little Al. Big Al eventually dies, and Little Al becomes Bruce's mentor and the "Alfred" figure. Bruce turns a Lincoln Continental into his Batmobile, but he doesn't really set out to be a bat — he disguises himself first with a scar, then with a hockey mask and cape. He is hitting criminals with his father's old signet ring, leaving the initials "TW" on their faces — but everybody thinks this looks like a bat-shape, and they start calling him the Batman. So he finally decides to go with it and dress like a bat. We meet Harvey Dent and Selina Kyle before they become Two-Face and Catwoman, and also glimpse the Joker.

Source

I haven't seen it, but the only thing I think was too harsh was having a go at RDJ's earlier transgressions, he's made an effort to clean himself up, finally. But I have a rule in life that after 7 years I won't bring up anything as people shouldn't be picked on things that made them look foolish. Repeat offenders, hi Charlie Sheen, are currently fair game.

All in all though, I agree that Hollywood is just precious. But if they remember, 12 months ago Gervais warned them. I can't rememember who's show he was on, maybe Conan, but the host told him he did a good job, everyone loved it, etc and Gervais said he wanted to shock more people so he didn't get asked back (half joking), then said he would try harder to offend more people next year.

The Daily Mail's coverage

Fantastic commentary on his performance.

Like Gervais himself said, they should see his stand up, then they'd be really shocked. Which is kind of the whole point of this, Hollywood are such mindless drones that they picked him to host, just because he was hot, not actually looking in to his background. His stand up is way more offensive then any of those jokes he made the other night.

The Daily Mail's coverage

Fantastic commentary on his performance.

Like Gervais himself said, they should see his stand up, then they'd be really shocked. Which is kind of the whole point of this, Hollywood are such mindless drones that they picked him to host, just because he was hot, not actually looking in to his background. His stand up is way more offensive then any of those jokes he made the other night.

He does award shows all the time, and he usually just targets his mates, the ones who can take it. This time he branched out and people got pissy.