The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started reading Simone's run on Birds of Prey from the beginning a couple days ago, and the more I read it the more I get angry at people who insist she's a bad writer.

First run or second run? Personally, it's her late Secret Six run that kinda gets on my nerves. Birds was mostly entertaining though Hawk always felt out of place in the second run. Really, my favorite thing Simone wrote is still a tie between Villain United and her run on Deadpool/Agent X. Secret Six, looking back on it, had the problem that it felt like Simone was constantly trying for too big. Her Wonder Woman arc was hit or miss. There are a few points that it feels like it's going someplace great, in particular during the genocide arc, only for there to be a major stumbling point. Really, Simone is a hit or miss writer sometimes. She can be good but when she's bad, she's bad.

First run or second run?

First.

I guess the thing is that I hear several people here on E-2 who practically make a mantra out of saying how terrible Simone apparently is, but then I've got other people (whose opinions I greatly respect) telling me the exact opposite elsewhere. I haven't read a ton of her work, but the bits I've read here and there I've liked.

She was OK up until around two-three years ago. After that in retrospect I actually dropped every book she was writing. Didn't realise it at the time but by that point I had dropped Secret Six and Birds of Prey, and never restarted on the other books she was on. Shame really, I used to really enjoy her stuff.

Over on Twitter, Michael Avon Oeming was talking about Blake's 7, so I sent him the RSS feed for Shake and Blake, asking him to listen. He then wrote back:

Will do, Im a huge Blake's 7 fan. Ship of Fools was inspired by that. AVON is why I started to use my middle name even:)

:yes:

Over on Twitter, Michael Avon Oeming was talking about Blake's 7, so I sent him the RSS feed for Shake and Blake, asking him to listen. He then wrote back:

Will do, Im a huge Blake's 7 fan. Ship of Fools was inspired by that. AVON is why I started to use my middle name even:)

:yes:

Awesome!!!

.....who's Michael Avon Oeming exactly?

Hannah, clarify. What's specifically wrong with his interpretation of Batman?

Are you serious?

What makes Green Arrow stand apart from the Dark Knight? Well, for starters Batman doesn't live in the world he protects. He's an interloper, and outsider - creeping in the shadows and waiting to pounce. Sure, he's got a good relationship with Gordon, but he's always distant and removed. If you didn't know any better, you might think he was an alien or something. Green Arrow lives in the world. He's not just about punishing the wicked. He wants to help people. He can see the world through their eyes, bringing a greater empathy than someone like Batman is capable of.

I'd argue that at times Batman is the MOST human of characters, the most in-tune with society. He's a man who has seen the ultimate evil committed to the only people he loved when he was barely old enough to understand what he was feeling. He locks his pain away and uses it to fuel his life. Hiding your emotions and transferring that energy into something else is a very common, very human reaction. What's common about Ollie? I love the character, but I don't feel any sympathy for a spoiled playboy. Ollie is, basically, a crusading version of the "mask" of Bruce Wayne.

And I don't consider Batman's approach to life emotionless or distant. He cares about his city, about the world, above all else, including his own emotional and physical health. He has created - or at least did in the universe I USED to know - a surrogate family which means the world to him. Ollie's "empathy" exists from what perspective? How does he have any more ability to feel for people than any other hero? Because he crusaded for civil rights in a world that no longer exists?

I'd say it's totally fair to say that Bruce is more emotionally removed from people in general.

There've been stories in the past showing how Bruce can never end up in a happy relationship with someone like Selina because the psychology of Batman can't allow for it. He basically rejects certain elements of his humanity in order to become the near-superhuman legend that he is. Sure, he's still got empathy and all the normal human emotions, but he has a hell of a lot of psychological barriers in place. He certainly is "distant and removed."

I agree with the argument that Ollie is a little more down-to-earth and likely to relate to people in a normal human fashion.

Hi, I'm Chris and I'm new here but you'll end up hearing me in podcast form this week on Waiting For The Trade (hopefully. Please listen, I require validation). Some of you probably know me from the Oratory, most of you probably won't. Thought I'd just say hi.

Now back to our regularly scheduled comic discussion:

I'd agree with knightwing's assessment that Batman's psychology means that he can never allow himself to be happy. Being happy might mean that keeping others safe might become less of a priority for him. Ultimately he wants a world where people won't end up hurt for no good reason, so, to that end, he would dedicate his life to being the Batman, nothing else would come close.