The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was reading some of Warren Ellis's Authority run last night, and it occurred to me, that it's exactly the same book as Nextwave sans his Internet Jesus Humor. The characters even basically look the same.

The Captain and Jack Hawksmoor

Elsa Bloodstone and Jenny Sparks

Machine Man and the Doctor

Monica Rambeau and The Engineer

Granted, Apollo, Midnighter, Swift and Tabby kind of shoot that theory a little, but, even the Carrier and the Shockwave Rider look alike.

I was reading some of Warren Ellis's Authority run last night, and it occurred to me, that it's exactly the same book as Nextwave{/i] sans his internet Jesus Humor. The characters even basically look the same.

The Captain and Jack Hawksmoor

Elsa Bloodstone and Jenny Sparks

Machine Man and the Doctor

Monica Rambeau and The Engineer

Granted, Apollo, Midnighter, Swift and Tabby kind of shoot that theory a little, but, even the Carrier and the Aeromarine look alike.

That's probably pretty accurate, although the temperament of each book was quite different.

Lady CEO Of Archie Comics Accused Of Shouting About Penises

Archie Comics is suing to bar its co-ceo, Nancy Silberkleit from returning to the office, saying employees complained about her "offensive" behavior.

According to TMZ, that included "one time in 2009, when she barged into a meeting and "pointed to each [attendee] and said, 'PENIS, PENIS, PENIS, PENIS' and then walked out.'" The quotes are from the filing. In another incident, Silberkleit allegedly shouted the same words and added, "My balls hurt."

Archie Comics says an outside firm recommended her dismissal. They're asking the judge for an injunction against her. According to an earlier Fortune profile, Silberkleit took over the struggling company, formerly headed by her late husband, with no business experience. Her previous job was as a third-grade art teacher.

Source.

All I got to say is... huh.

• 2 weeks later...

Barry Allen has no depth, personality, likability, or reason to exist post-Crisis, yet he's this god amongst the DC editorial / creative staff. I rarely read The Flash prior to Barry's return, but when I did, even the worst issue proved Wally was the better character than Barry ever was.

I'm pro-Wally. Barry really just feels like a poorly written Wally, to my mind he offers absolutely nothing that wasn't already there in the Flash books. His return has been one of the leave eventful of it's kind, nothing like as big as Bucky or Jason Todd.

I totally, completely disagree. I love Barry Allen. Wally is the one that I've never really connected with, outside of his Teen Titans stories.

Try reading Mark Waid's or Geoff John's run on The Flash. I actually find it funny that a writer who had such a good grasp on what make Wally an interesting character (Johns) still can't do the same for Barry. Barry lacks a personality and a good amount of his current personality traits (trying to do the right thing, acting like the opposite of his powers in public) are all pretty taken right from Superman. The only thing not taken from Superman is that he doesn't decide to treat his family members like shit for no real reason like Barry has treated Bart. Honestly, I'm completely of the opinion that if they were going to build up to Flashpoint, they should have spent longer than 12 issues making me give a flying fuck about Barry Allen. They then spent a quarter of those 12 focusing on Boomerang and Zoom and the Rogues and I didn't need any more persuasion that the Rogues are interesting. I already knew that. The thing that makes Wally even more interesting now is that he's married with kids. I would buy a Flash Family book focusing on Wally and his family in a heartbeat over a book focusing on Barry.

I can see a parallel to scenes of Anakins transformation at the end of Revenge of the Sith in that cover, and that's supposed to be what, a PG-13?

But at the same time... Yeaaaah.

And about the Barry thing: it's because he was god when they were kids, pure and simple.

How is this the cover to a mainstream comic? This is disgusting, and if I were a parent, I wouldn't let my child anywhere near this book.

dcuol-lex.jpg

I think it's supposed to be so graphic that it grabs your attention and gets people talking about it. Any publicity is good publicity in that sense. Also, this is the most I've heard anyone say anything related to DCUO in months.

The Flash thing, basically, what Mike said on a podcast several months ago. If you like a character in DC or Marvel, then what you can realistically do, is become a comic creator and work your way into a position where you have control over which characters are relevant to the Universe you are writing about. Geoff Johns has done that, he has gotten himself into such a position that he can have books focused on characters he cares about.