The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

More importantly, when's the last time we went six months without an event?

Fuck events. There, I said it. Flashpoint may only be five issues, but everyone has realised how inconsequential the book really is. You can just save your money on DC for the next three months, and buy the new ongoings come September.

I'm sick of constant events, when you have books like JLA, and Avengers, which are supposed to house big team events, and you don't feel like you're getting an epic story anymore, you're just getting, what will ultimately lead up to the event, and then the spillage of the event sometimes taking place in the big team books.

Spider-man getting another series is pure BS though, it totally contradicts what they were saying out compressing all the books into one in order to make it easier. Give him Amazing and have everything else play out in the other books he's in, FF and whatever Avengers team he's on now.

To be fair, they did wait till they drop ASM to 2 issues a month before they gave him a new ongoing.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's like I just walked into a karaoke bar at 4 in the morning and the only person in the crowd is the old deaf lady that's still waiting for her dog to come back.

The fact that combined, the entire class had less talent than Gene had, didn’t matter to him. He loved story and loved showing others his passion. I will always remember that passion based on one event that I still think about to this day. In order to teach us visual storytelling, one class he brought in To Kill A Mockingbird on videocassette. He prefaced the viewing by informing us that it was his favorite movie and he watched it once a week and had been for a very long time. Towards the end of the movie, Gene was so moved by the film that he started to cry. He left the classroom and returned a few minutes later. That story that he watched every week still moved him to tears. I was amazed. Gene was passionate…especially about story.

Chris Eliopoulos remembers Gene Colan.

Last weekend, I picked up a ton of cheap comics from a convention, and have spent the week reading them, and one or two current books. And the new books just aren't that interesting to me.

I think come September, I'm going to make a long overdue clean break from reading currently monthly comics. The habit costs too much, and anything I'd want to read, I can wait for the trade and get it on Amazon, or just wait and try and find the issues for cheap at a convention.

I've just finished reading Joker Mask mini series put out by DC and Darkhorse. Was it just me or was this a bit of a chore to read. The main joke of the series is Joker wearing the Mask, from the comic, and Jim Carrey movie, Mask.

Once I gott past the "Joker has the mask! Crazy shit is going to happen!!" it sort of got repetitive and quite dull, they just kept rehashing the same tired jokes, over and over again, and although the issues were short, and the art was nice, it just wasn't that interesting to read and quite repetitive. I was really disappointed, as I expected it to actually be a bit fun, instead it was just dull.