The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

Dude, even the guys who grew up with Barry think that bringing him back was an awful idea. The people who care about Barry, just from even what I've heard on a basis of on here, and at my LCS, are a very, very small minority. Bringing him back so that the editors can feel young again, or try to show them what was so awesome about him, at the expense of Wally and the family (and the way it sounds, possibly writing Wally et al out of the new continuity), just is not cool, or interesting.

I tried to read the Flash Rebirth, but honestly, I couldn't last past the first issue, because I didn't care. At all. That first issue should've been able to make me at least give a damn about Barry.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Honestly, I can see why Barry was brought back. It doesn't change that Wally is the more developed character. Really, to go along with something Mike said on the last Grumpy Old Fans, I do feel like one of the editors decreed that Barry had to come back. Look at Geoff Johns's first run on The Flash with Wally. Johns gets Wally and, in the couple of appearances he had, he can write Barry well. Now read the recently ended Flash book. Johns feels like he doesn't want to be writing this. The issues he feels most comfortable in his writing are the ones focusing on The Rogues. The rest are just kind of there. Barry was at his best when he served as an example of what a hero will do to save the world. He's kind of been a dick since he came back. It's all very annoying.

After reading the last Secret Six issue, I have one thing to say on Gail Simone.

I'm never reading/buying/recommending anything you ever write again.

So, in Gail Simone's mind, you solve a gay love triangle, by having Scandal say:

You can both marry me! She said that to Knockout and the stripper she'd be dating since issue 8, because she couldn't choose, so she decided she's not going to choose, and instead they would both marry her.

In Detective Comics #871 Alfred says to Dick, "Shall I have the bed changed again, sir?" Then in #873, he says, "I took it upon myself to have the mattress changed again." What is Scott Snyder trying to imply? That in the little sleep he gets, Dick wets the bed? That they're bloodstained from his nights as Batman? Or is there something I'm missing.

detail.jpg

When did Wolverine become one of the dwarfs from The Hobbit?

That's actually the best Bachalo I've seen.

In Detective Comics #871 Alfred says to Dick, "Shall I have the bed changed again, sir?" Then in #873, he says, "I took it upon myself to have the mattress changed again." What is Scott Snyder trying to imply? That in the little sleep he gets, Dick wets the bed? That they're bloodstained from his nights as Batman? Or is there something I'm missing.

Nope. He's OCD. One set of clean sheets for every sleep.

Either that or the chicks he's sleeping with are...messy.

Barbara and Starfire, huh? Kori's orange on the outside...you don't know what it's like in there....

I'm too classy to do the Babs one.

Okay, a realization I just had as I was talking to Preston about something else. Spoilers for Secret Six involved.

So, obviously, KO came back from hell in a recent story arc. But there's a problem with this. She's a Female Fury, and thus, a new God. Per Final Crisis, can't she kind of not exist on this plane anymore? Did Simone even try to explain that one?

Okay, a realization I just had as I was talking to Preston about something else. Spoilers for Secret Six involved.

So, obviously, KO came back from hell in a recent story arc. But there's a problem with this. She's a Female Fury, and thus, a new God. Per Final Crisis, can't she kind of not exist on this plane anymore? Did Simone even try to explain that one?

In all honesty, I don't think Gail Simone gave a fuck enough to check this information out. Here's how that "Get out of hell free card" would have made sense:

Scandal's stripper girlfriend is killed by her born again ex-boyfriend and Scandal realises that she cannot have Knockout back, and needs to bring her current girlfriend back, because unlike the six, she's an innocent person, brought into a fucked up world.

But for that to work, Simone would have to put more effort into character development, and less time in to such great dialogue as "I'm a shark...I'm a shark...I'm a shark"

I know I'm repeatedly taking digs at Gail Simone over SS, but the more I think about the entire book, the more I realise how little I truly enjoyed the ongoing series, and how glad I am, that I sold all my issues and trades of the series months ago.

1) I don't think DC Editorial cared since the book was being canceled in a few months anyway.

2) DC still hasn't explained why Hawk, since coming back to life, hasn't been on trial for murdering some of the JSA or being a terrorist when he was The Monarch and Extant. If they ignore such an obvious story there, I doubt they'll notice one New God coming back from the dead.

3) The New Gods were reborn into Earth-51. Nothing says they can't make a fun run into New Earth.

Currently I'm reading Justice League of America #60, and I officially think James Robinson is a hack. Outside of Leave it to Chance, I've hated everything I've read of his, and this issue of JLA is no exception.

I have enormous fondness for The Golden Age, and I know I liked Starman more than you did, but lately, yeah, it's been a loooooong time since anything he wrote impressed me.

Currently I'm reading Justice League of America #60, and I officially think James Robinson is a hack. Outside of Leave it to Chance, I've hated everything I've read of his, and this issue of JLA is no exception.

The man who wrote Justice League: Cry for Justice is a hack?!?!? Surely not....