The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know. The only thing DC appears interested in right now is sales and if one of ther most popular books just got canned, that's a pretty clear sign.

DMZ, one of their other biggest books is ending.

Vertigo has also been a shell of its former self for the past fifteen years or so on top of it all. I wouldn't be surprised to see it gone with an all OGN line in its stead.

So, Rob Granito has some ideas for comics:

I just don’t know what to think. Rob Granito is creating a new line of comic books under the name Bad Boy Comics with his… creative partner Josh Hoopes. But not quite yet. His wife Alison tells me “rather than self-publish a comic outright, Rob and his partner are going to make some prints showcasing the many characters and storylines they are dreaming up, to encite fan interest and suggestions. Here are the titles being presented!”

She then told me about six of the upcoming fourteen titles/prints they intend to create.

THOSE WHO TRESPASS - This is a self-contained graphic novel or mini-series showing a near-future in which a very powerful super-hero has done the impossible: he has eradicated crime. In this gripping storyline, the noble hero has defeated all crime and all villains, but then the world, and our society, begin to change. Other super-heroes begin to resent this as they are now made obsolete, and the villains live in fear. “There is a real sense of understanding in this storyark, the way you kind of would see between the Mafia and the Cops”, says Mr. Granito, “and me and Josh came up with a lot of good commentary on that. The heroes and the villains kind of have this bitter understanding, that this dude put them both out of business, and they can’t exsist without each other! So they come up with this uneasy truce, like, lets eliminate him and go back to fighting, go back to how it was, if you win, great, if i win, great, but we still get to go back to what we know best. Theres a sense of a lot of these characters like, not knowing what to do, because all they knew how to be was super-heroes. It’s really deep stuff and nothing that they ever cover in comics. I hope we get enough interest to do it, because it will blow people’s minds.” This storyline features an entire new universe of original characters and concepts.

MISTRESS – Mistress is a sexy sorceress, using magical powers, wiccan culture, voodoo knowledge, and other things, to battle zombies and other supernatural threats. “We don’t see strong women heroes”, says Mr. Granito, “and we came up with this girl who is just the best in magic, but still has that tough edge, while still being very sexy for all readers. There will be a lot of humor in this title, too. Men and women alike will really get into it.”

DUAL NATURE - This series will focus on an enterprising character who,like many classic comic characters, devotes his mind and body towards being a costume adventurer, but with a catch: He aspires to be both a masked crimefighter AND a masked criminal. “This was an idea of Josh”, says Mr. Granito, “and it blew the roof off. This dude is trying to use the police and the mob against each other, by being sometimes a hero, and sometimes a villain. I mean, he does have a conscience, but he also wants more out of life, so, its like, this works! You will never see this kind of stuff in any other comic. He’s trained to be like a brilliant acrobat, kind of like Daredevil and Batman, but it’s like, why only have one masked identity? This series will ask those questions and get readers and fans talking. We are still designing his costume, but I am proud of this concept already.”

CARNAL – This is a series about a mutant from the future who is cat-like and can barely be controlled. He arrives in the present day after fighting in Gladiator fights of the future, and takes to fighting crime with bloodthirsty results, leaving violence in his wake. This will be a controversial character, says Mr. Granito.

THEY RISE - A series about zombies rising from the grave, but with a new catch: these zombies rise with super-powers and can fly and blast energy bolts from their hands. “I was thinking about this whole zombie craze, and its like, what more can you do to make it exciting?” asked Mr. Granito. “And I was like, what if the zombies had powers? Imagine how much more scary and terrifying that would be, to have to escape from these things that could like, fly and hover above you. They could blast you at any time and then feast on your cooked flesh! I personally believe it’s one of the most original ideas in comics right now.”

FUSION – This series, tells the story of a young urban youth who resists joining gangs, and, gaining energy powers, becomes the protector of the ghetto, The Fusion. The Fusion will have an arch enemy in The Chainz, a gang-banger who controls most of the hood, but Fusion resists the temptations of the streets, aspiring to be a hero once his grandparents are killed. This is also a character BadBoy Comics will be selling inexpensive prints of.

THOSE WHO TRESPASS - This is a self-contained graphic novel or mini-series showing a near-future in which a very powerful super-hero has done the impossible: he has eradicated crime. In this gripping storyline, the noble hero has defeated all crime and all villains, but then the world, and our society, begin to change. Other super-heroes begin to resent this as they are now made obsolete, and the villains live in fear. “There is a real sense of understanding in this storyark, the way you kind of would see between the Mafia and the Cops”, says Mr. Granito, “and me and Josh came up with a lot of good commentary on that. The heroes and the villains kind of have this bitter understanding, that this dude put them both out of business, and they can’t exsist without each other! So they come up with this uneasy truce, like, lets eliminate him and go back to fighting, go back to how it was, if you win, great, if i win, great, but we still get to go back to what we know best. Theres a sense of a lot of these characters like, not knowing what to do, because all they knew how to be was super-heroes. It’s really deep stuff and nothing that they ever cover in comics. I hope we get enough interest to do it, because it will blow people’s minds.” This storyline features an entire new universe of original characters and concepts.

If the heroes win, crime will once again be out of business. What will they do then? Break all the criminals out of jail to do it once more? Furthermore, if crime has been eradicated by this one man, where are these villains? Shouldn't they be in jail?

MISTRESS – Mistress is a sexy sorceress, using magical powers, wiccan culture, voodoo knowledge, and other things, to battle zombies and other supernatural threats. “We don’t see strong women heroes”, says Mr. Granito, “and we came up with this girl who is just the best in magic, but still has that tough edge, while still being very sexy for all readers. There will be a lot of humor in this title, too. Men and women alike will really get into it.”

The wording of this one gets me. He wants the character to be seen as a strong woman, but then calls her a girl and falls back on mentioning how sexy she is.

DUAL NATURE - This series will focus on an enterprising character who,like many classic comic characters, devotes his mind and body towards being a costume adventurer, but with a catch: He aspires to be both a masked crimefighter AND a masked criminal. “This was an idea of Josh”, says Mr. Granito, “and it blew the roof off. This dude is trying to use the police and the mob against each other, by being sometimes a hero, and sometimes a villain. I mean, he does have a conscience, but he also wants more out of life, so, its like, this works! You will never see this kind of stuff in any other comic. He’s trained to be like a brilliant acrobat, kind of like Daredevil and Batman, but it’s like, why only have one masked identity? This series will ask those questions and get readers and fans talking. We are still designing his costume, but I am proud of this concept already.”

Two words: Green Hornet.

CARNAL – This is a series about a mutant from the future who is cat-like and can barely be controlled. He arrives in the present day after fighting in Gladiator fights of the future, and takes to fighting crime with bloodthirsty results, leaving violence in his wake. This will be a controversial character, says Mr. Granito.

Why, because we've never seen an ultra-violent character before?

THEY RISE - A series about zombies rising from the grave, but with a new catch: these zombies rise with super-powers and can fly and blast energy bolts from their hands. “I was thinking about this whole zombie craze, and its like, what more can you do to make it exciting?” asked Mr. Granito. “And I was like, what if the zombies had powers? Imagine how much more scary and terrifying that would be, to have to escape from these things that could like, fly and hover above you. They could blast you at any time and then feast on your cooked flesh! I personally believe it’s one of the most original ideas in comics right now.”

Rob, Robert Kirkman is calling from 2005. He says, "Damn you for beating me to Marvel Zombies!"

FUSION – This series, tells the story of a young urban youth who resists joining gangs, and, gaining energy powers, becomes the protector of the ghetto, The Fusion. The Fusion will have an arch enemy in The Chainz, a gang-banger who controls most of the hood, but Fusion resists the temptations of the streets, aspiring to be a hero once his grandparents are killed. This is also a character BadBoy Comics will be selling inexpensive prints of.

Two more words: Static Shock.

In other news, apparently as of #36, Secret Six will be ending, and not be relaunched. ...I am okay with this.

Same. The comic should just be a new mini series every year, the second it got an ongoing, it started to stop being fun, and feel like Gail Simone throwing shit at the wall, and seeing what would stick.

Anyone see this? Moved last night from the Associated Press:

Marvel's Spider-Man getting new, 2nd series

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Marvel web slinger Spider-Man is getting a second series this year with an emphasis on the iconic character's job as a hero.

Marvel Comics said Monday that the new series, "Avenging Spider-Man," will focus more on what writer Zeb Wells called "the big summer action movie" aspect of Peter Parker as opposed to more personal look found in the pages of the twice-monthly "Amazing Spider-Man" written by Dan Slott.

Wells is writing the series, which debuts in November, and Joe Madureira is illustrating the title.

In a conference call with reporters, Wells said the new series focuses more on Spider-Man's exploits and encounters with villains and heroes now that he's part of Marvel's Avengers team. Wells, Madureira and editor Stephen Wacker promised more adventure and less soap opera.

I'm confused.

That being my point. I can't think of one month in the last eighteen that there wasn't some major event going on in either company. What used to actually mean something doesn't mean shit now, when anything major that happens could be unwritten in, say, six months or less.

Secret Invasion lasted until the end of 2008, and Dark Reign (a period as opposed to an event) lasted until the 4 issue mini event siege, which started Jan 2010. Problem is, even though these events are actually spaced out because comics are monthly they don't feel that way in storylines. However, with Siege being a smaller deal Marvel has actually gone two and a half years without a major full 7-8 issue crossover with all the trimmings. I wish it were longer because these deals mess with books I like, but that's the industry for you.

On the upside stuff spinning out of them is often great, Dark Avengers for example.

Spider-man getting another series is pure BS though, it totally contradicts what they were saying out compressing all the books into one in order to make it easier. Give him Amazing and have everything else play out in the other books he's in, FF and whatever Avengers team he's on now.