The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

Lemme rephrase that. He's saying sales are worth telling bad stories for. Now, I wouldn't normally have a problem with that, seeing as I'm all for movie studios making more Sucker Punches and other such pretty-looking stupidity, but when those bad stories then affect the good stories in the Marvel universe as a whole, I'm not sure it's worth it.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As someone who has no interest in Sucker Punch, I’m curious; was it actually fun? Because the whole idea of a young woman trapped in a mental institution who regresses into a fantasy world to escape from the world around her seems really depressing.

And hey, Tom is probably right about riling up fans. It’s stuff like this that helps keeps the mainstream comic world so insular though.

As someone who has no interest in Sucker Punch, I’m curious; was it actually fun?

I have no idea. It went out of theaters here in about a week and a half.

But Sucker Punch wasn't my point. I seriously have a problem with the idea that it's okay to throw some crap into your storytelling universe—thus polluting future stories—just to make some temporary sales.

As someone who has no interest in Sucker Punch, I’m curious; was it actually fun?

I have no idea. It went out of theaters here in about a week and a half.

It thinks it's deep, but it's brainless. It's the sort of plot that Saw fans will think is complex and awesome. The action is fun initially but by the end it's utterly boring. I really didn't like it by the time it was over.

7. When Dwayne McDuffie died, you states that you’d enjoyed working with him. You had never worked with him. Why did you say that, and can you see why it angered people?

Okay, I’m very glad you asked that one. I did work with Dwayne McDuffie, at least, I considered it working with him because he gave me pointers. I’ll tell you the story. A couple of years ago, at a con, I was doing fan sketches, and one fan asked for a sketch of Luke Cage, so I was like, cool. And I started it but didn’t really like it and decided to start a new one. So I ripped the other one up, and Dwayne McDuffie was going around the floor, and I had met him before, so he came up to look over my shoulder to see what I was drawing, you know, friendly and stuff. So he sees me doing this Luke Cage, and he started giving me advice, because he told me, this was such an important character to him from when he was a kid. And I was really getting off on it, you know? Because Dwayne McDuffie was such an influence on all of us. And it was so creative and so cool, we were just riffing on it together, like a real collaboration. Dwayne was telling me little subtle things, like “more gangsta” in the character’s expression, and telling me how Luke Cage was “from the streets” so he had to have this certain look in his eyes. I could tell he really enjoyed it, and it was one of the best pieces I’ve drawn, I wish I had kept it ! Actually, Dwayne told me, that was so good he wished he had it, and of course, now I regret not giving it to him. But that experience is one of my best memories and one I’m always gonna cherish, you know? That, to me, was working with Dwayne McDuffie, because he guided me and we collaborated and all I said was it was a pleasure working with him. I didn’t say we did that one show together or something. So I don’t get it. I mean, nobody can prove that didn’t happen, you know?

That is completely vile.

Rob answers more questions.

5. Rob, I’d like to quote Kurt Busiek to you. “The idea that Dwayne McDuffie told someone to draw Luke Cage more “gangsta” is funny all by itself. And by “funny” I mean “an utter lie.” Dwayne McDuffie didn’t have a lot of love for Luke Cage, and the fact he’d use a word such as “gangsta” in a positive fashion strikes people who knew Dwayne as most unlike the man. Are you sure it was Dwayne you spoke to?

Dude, this is the kind of thing where it’s like, clearly against me because people don’t like me. So you know, whatever they say, you’re going to side with that. But tell me and I’m dead serious, what news coverage has Kurt Buseik been getting? All the sudden he wants to jump on the bandwagon and cut down every single thing he can? I met Dwayne a bunch of times, always a good dude as anybody would tell you. He always took the time to talk to people, I remember I had a Ben 10 painting and he really liked it and once again I wish I had given it to him. But I didn’t lie, he was very into that drawing, and he was explaining to me, because I’m just a comic artist man, you know, the urban thing, the “streets” thing, and how Luke Cage was the kind of character who made his rep in the hood, it was all subtle stuff, in his eyes, in his expression. That guy was like a teacher! It’s like, am I saying anything negative? No, I’m telling you positive truths. Positive truths are what I’m all about. I remember seeing Dwayne and he always had a big smile on his face when he approached my table, I remember him being so happy Blade was successful, and telling me we would work on something together one day when he wasn’t so busy. That was a big honor in my life and people like Kurt Busiek can’t take that away from me just because they’re unhappy with all the attention I’m getting, dude. It’s like, if you like me or hate me, I can’t change facts, can I?

... wow.

I personally love what his wife wrote to Colleen Doran after she wrote a piece that stated that "Everything that comes out of Rob Granito’s mouth smells of ass and cheese doodles:

Mrs. Doran,

I have but one thing to ask you. And that is.. who do you think you are? Who do you think YOU are? As a fellow woman and mother, I am shocked at your additude, to prove you are some sort of “tough chick” personality. I was sent your column on Mr. Granito (“Everything that comes out of Rob Granito’s mouth…”) and am sickened and offended.

Mr. Granito has taken the blame for his honest mistakes, but your column goes beyond the call of duty with your offensive, insulting and degrading remarks. Comparing Mr. Rob Granito to a psychopath stalker. This is a man who has spent his life drawing in the pursuits of art and sharing it with his fans. Yes, he has made a mistake. Where is his second chance?Are you saying he doesnt get one? Is there an exception now because YOU feel ignored?

You feel ignored because the hottest cartoon and comic web sites didnt cover Colleen. They covered Mr. Granito, who provokes thought and discussion from the cartoon/comic strip industry. I am sorry you were ignored but this attack on Mr. Granito is sick, uncalled for, and as a woman, I am ashamed of you. Who do you think you are to launch a campaign to defraud and slander Mr. Rob Granito?

I hate to give you a piece of my mind like this because I know what it is like to be a working woman! But you crossed the line and I believe it was to prove some sort of coolness with the kids and tough girl act. But you are hurting a man who has real feelings. And real talent.

Please take down that offensive article and try opening your heart to forgiveness. I see a lot of resentment due to Mr. Granito’s sudden fame. We cannot control what the media does, Coleen.

Source

Please note: Colleen does not have any children (to my knowledge).

Basically, fuck these assholes.

I can't find it any place else so did everyone see that DC is restarting it's books with #1's in Aug? I'm not sure how I feel about it because some of the articles talking about it seem to point to a massive retcon (Like Spider-Man: One More Day big and stupid) while others just seem to say new look and they will reset the ages of the characters. Thoughts?

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2011-05-31-dc-comics-reinvents_n.htm

-Skyler

My favorite comic shop just had an anniversary sale where everything storewide (excluding the new issues) was 50% or better. This caused me to get the run of Wednesday Comics for $15. Now my question is: how is the best way to read it? I know that the hard cover does it story by story rather then page by page so that made me wonder if there are segments that read better as one chunk like the HC or just to read the full issues at once like they were made?

-Skyler