Every Film You've Watched in 2015

dc20willsave

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Pit & The Pendulum: Lance Henriksen makes everything better. This is a pretty great and nasty little feature with some impressively odd comedic elements. Been so long since I've seen this that I actually forgot Jeffrey Combs and Tom Towles were in this.

Feature Films: 11

Expendables 3 - I think I liked this better than the second one. I say 'I think' because I really do not remember much about the second one. I'll at least remember this was the one with the kids.

Get Him To The Greek - One of my favorite soundtracks. Same cannot be said about the actual movie. Example of a character that works in small doses, but does not when placed front and center.

Ernest and Celestine: Y'know, after all the shit that I've had to go through over the past few days, this movie was a good break from everything. It's a cute little animated movie, originally from France, thats based on the book series of the same name. I'd highly recommend it.\

Films watched: 8

Fantasia: Even though one of my favorite films of all time, this was the first time I saw the DVD version in full. It's a quite jarring hearing Brainiac come from Deems Taylor's mouth and to see them go on for more than two minutes. Though the cut I'm used to cut them, I honestly think the film was better without Taylor/Burton spoiling us about the T. rex, Zeus, and the other things were about to see. This version also seems to have been recolored, with more blues than blacks than I remember. Despite this, it's still an awesome film and a great way to turn kids on to classical music, mythology, dinosaurs, and animation in general.

From best to worst, I'd probably rank the segments like so:

1. Night on Bald Mountain

2. The Rite of Spring

3. The Sorcerer's Apprentice

4. "Pastoral" Symphony No. 6

5. Toccata and Fugue

6. The Nutcracker Suite

7. Ave Maria

8. The Dance of the Hours

Fantasia 2000: Obviously not as good as the original. None of the animated segments are duds, but half of the bridging sequences are groan-worthy. They should have stuck just with one presenter (ideally James Earl Jones or Angela Lansbury, if it had to be one of the celebrities they chose), or just had all the presenters be musicians.

Here's my ranking for this one:

1. The Sorcerer's Apprentice

2. Rhapsody in Blue

3. Pines of Rome

4. The Firebird

5. Piano Concerto No. 2

6. Pomp and Circumstance Marches 1-4

7. Symphony No. 5

8. Carnival of the Animals Finale

Film Count: 5

The Interview: Pretty typical Rogen/Goldberg/Franco fare. Not to say that it's bad, but it lacks the heart of Superbad and the actual laugh out loud moments of Pineapple Express. Franco and Rogen do their usual thing and it's done as well as they usually do it. Lizzy Caplan is hot beyond hot, and Diana Bang steals the show. Rob Lowe has a wonderful cameo. But all that aside, we get the dreadful Eminem opening, and a climax that wouldn't have worked in a 90s Stallone movie.

And some of the running gags were forced beyond forced. Especially the Lord of the Rings stuff. In short, the best comedy came from when the actors were riffing off of each other, not the "jokes" that were in the script.

Not great, not terrible, if North Korea had just let this one go, it would have been utterly forgettable.

Who couldn't love a vampire and his giant blood lollipop?

Seriously though, I am for anything Full Moon. Doll Man vs Demonic Toys is still one of my favorites.

Tease: you may enjoy Dread Media in March.

In/post college, Bad Movie Night in the Toland household always, without fail, included at least one Full Moon offering. I await March with interest.

Horns: Daniel Radcliffe's American Accent takes the better part of the film to start working. Other than that, it's an above-average adaptation of the novel and has some good acting with decent set-pieces. Radcliffe, suspect accent aside, does a pretty good job as a man accused of murder who grows horns one day that cause everyone around him to confess and act on their darkest desires. It's a good enough effort.

Codename Kids Next Door: Operation Z.E.R.O.: I felt nostalgic and I've been watching the odd episode on Netflix. It's never been the best show but still fun. The movie is fun sometimes but Numbah 1 was never my favorite character on the show so an entire 75 minutes focusing on him isn't my idea of ideal. Still, it works as a feature-length episode of the series.

The Craft: As a quick sidenote, how weird is it that no one has ever made a straight to video sequel/cash-grab for this movie? Back to the point, I'm not sure how I feel about this movie. I remember liking it when I was a kid. It barely works as horror but it's still fun at times. It's just... a lot of the acting varies between monotone (Robin Tunney) and over-the-top (Fairuza Balk). Not only that but most the effects have not aged well at all. There's a part of me that wants to suggest the movie for the Tirades but I'm not sure if it's truly bad, just a victim of not aging well at all.

Feature Films: 12

Direct to DVD: 1

Made-For-TV: 2

Subspecies II: Bloodstone-I recall Subspecies directly as a film I'd seen multiple times as something I admired and enjoyed. The sequels, of which I'd seen two were a blur to me. There's a reason for that. Here begins what I'm assuming is a steady plunge in quality. I do like that it picks up minutes after the first one.

Feature Films: 14

Dredd: Holy balls, I love this movie. This is probably the third or fourth time I've seen it, and each time I see it, I love it a little bit more. It's based off of Judge Dredd, and does such a better job of adapting the source material than the Stallone version. For starters, it actually does look like Mega-City One, and this would be at least a three-part story arc, if not longer. Karl Urban is absolutely genius in the titular role of Judge Dredd, emoting so much with only his mouth and chin. And the best thing about this version is that Dredd doesn't take his helmet off once. The closest we get is a vague shape of the back of his head in the opening, and that's it. Seriously, I cannot emphasize how good this movie is.

Films watched: 9

2 Guns - This has been sitting here for a while. Finally watched it last night and it was alright. I found it never got into that last gear. I went along for the (enjoyable) ride, but the ending action scene felt a little short. The film really hinges on the leads, and they do fine here. But I have this sorta disconnect in my brain when I watch Denzel. Admittedly, I haven't seen many movies he has been in, but something about him just doesn't connect with me. I can't think of anybody else this happens with off the top of my head. Just odd.

Edge of Tomorrow: This movie is, ultimately, very well-made. While, yes, there are a lot of problems with it when you start to think about it a little too much, ultimately, it's very fun. I'd describe it as a sort of Groundhog Day-meets-Starship Troopers-meets-Aliens hybrid, what with the time travel and aesthetics. Ultimately, it's a very good movie, with a few flaws.

Films watched: 10

Batman Year One: This was pretty good. Diverted from the source text where it needed to to keep it exciting in an animated film for a younger audience. It adapted the parts of the comic well that it attempted. Cast was great. Cranston was a great Gordon, if not a little too young. Ironically, young Gordon from Gotham is the voice of Batman. I enjoyed this more than any of the recent New 52 films. 64 Minutes! If they can adapt Year One in barely more than an hour, I don't see why TDKR needed two movies....anyway. That's probably next.

Feature Films: 16

^Interested to see if your mind changes after seeing the TDK animated movies. Those are adapted pretty perfectly, especially the second one with the "Hunt for the Dark Knight" chapter and the Joker. IMO that's the best adapted story the DC movies have ever done.

Saw "Beavis and Butt-Head Do America" the other night. I wasn't allowed to watch Beavis and Butt-Head when it was on as a kid (same went for Ren and Stimpy and the Simpsons, but those two I got away with a lot better) so I'm not super familiar with the original show. I found the movie to be dumb fun. I'm way more familiar with King of the Hill, so the style of realistic characters interacting with these two total idiots made the movie for me, especially the ATF agent. I also knew going in that Bruce Willis and Demi Moore voiced characters in the movie, but I could never tell it was them. They did a pretty good voice acting job. It was really silly, and I had a fun time with it.

Horns: Daniel Radcliffe's American Accent takes the better part of the film to start working. Other than that, it's an above-average adaptation of the novel and has some good acting with decent set-pieces. Radcliffe, suspect accent aside, does a pretty good job as a man accused of murder who grows horns one day that cause everyone around him to confess and act on their darkest desires. It's a good enough effort.

I'm enjoying this a lot more than I thought I was going to.