Every Film You've Watched in 2015

dc20willsave

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Birdman: This is a great actor's movie. Keaton, Norton, Watts, Riseborough and Galifianakis were all fucking brilliant. I don't know why, but my gut is telling me to hate Emma Stone, but she's amazing in this. I don't know what it is, I like her in everything. Beyond the acting though, this movie is fucking awful. The story's terrible. The cinematographical gimmick is tired and boring and obtrusive. I also wished they cut the fantastical bullshit out. Too bad.

Haha, do you ever just watch a movie and go: "meh."

The Madness of King George: Good film, what, what.

Eh, it's fine and all, and it's nice to see Lestrade getting a bit of an outing, but it's not a very satisfying watch at the same time. I don't necessarily blame the film as it's an adaptation of a play (by that utter hack Alan Bennett, who has never ever done a decent play and is widely hated as a non-British institution) and The King's Speech essentially does the same tropes better. Again, not a bad film, but doesn't deserve a multitude of BAFTAs just because Dame Helen Mirren and Sir Nigel Hawthorne are involved.

The Madness of King George: Good film, what, what.

Eh, it's fine and all, and it's nice to see Lestrade getting a bit of an outing, but it's not a very satisfying watch at the same time. I don't necessarily blame the film as it's an adaptation of a play (by that utter hack Alan Bennett, who has never ever done a decent play and is widely hated as a non-British institution) and The King's Speech essentially does the same tropes better. Again, not a bad film, but doesn't deserve a multitude of BAFTAs just because Dame Helen Mirren and Sir Nigel Hawthorne are involved.

Yeah. As I was watching it, I could tell it was well-acted and well-written, but for some reason wasn't enjoying it that much and constantly checking to see how much time was left.

Birdman - I'm still unpacking this a little, but on the whole I thought it was quite good. The performances were incredible. The story left me a little cold - "Hey, being an actor is really, really hard, you guys" - but the acting, especially Keaton, Watts and (who'da thunk?) Galiafanakis nailed it for me. The cinematography worked for me in that it never gives you a chance to stop and process what you're seeing, and therefore gives you that feeling of discombobulation that Keaton is feeling, although it was distracting as hell for a while. Not perfect, not the Best Picture of 2015, but I'm glad I saw it.

Big Hero 6 - Just delightful. I need a Baymax.

Goonies: I watched this movie 17 times in the span of the two weeks of spring break right after it came out on VHS. I haven't watched it since. Tonight was family movie night and we all loved it. Classic. Tons of laughs, great acting, amazing set pieces, great villains and a real feel of timelessness. In a lot of ways, this is the perfect example of kids adventure. A type of film they don't really make anymore.

Feature Films: 40

Documentaries: 1

Brolin's intense viewing of the video in the movie while uncoiling the springs is amazing. I'm super-impressed they played him as a loving older brother and not a monster like EVERY OTHER MOVIE BEFORE OR SINCE has dealt with older brothers.

Though, I have to say that I remember this moment,

Cvks6L6.gif

being more profound when I was a kid.

You're a monster.

Well, yes. But I'm not sure how that's cogent to this discussion.

Of course, if I'd said something along the lines of "it's just a bunch of kids shouting at nonsense for 2 hours" then I might've overstepped the mark.