The Doctor Who thread

I love Hugh Laurie to bits, but he got very lucky with the success of House. It is almost the most repetetive show on television, but it manages to work thanks to Laurie and his supporting cast, which has been recognised by its audience. The idea that Tennant could carry a US series based upon his tenure as The Doctor is as much as a gamble as House was - the connection between the two shos is petty tenuous.

That being said, all the best to him, especially if it takes off.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also, just found this on The End of Time Wiki page:

An exclusive preview of the specials will be shown during the 2009 Children in Need telethon which airs on 20 November.

there's info here - http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.com/2009/11/hollywood-star-joins-cast-list-for.html

Basically there is a trailer after WoM, and also a scene during the CiN telethon next Friday (but not the first scene as that's too plot heavy to work as a preview).

As we all know, "The Waters of Mars" will be airing in the UK this Sunday afternoon, but not everyone will have the chance to see it right away. If anyone posts spoilers outside of this thread -- this includes sending me a spoiler-filled email, using images from the episode as avatars and signatures, and using dialogue from the episode as custom titles -- I will suspend you for three days.

As we all know, "The Waters of Mars" will be airing in the UK this Sunday afternoon, but not everyone will have the chance to see it right away. If anyone posts spoilers outside of this thread -- this includes sending me a spoiler-filled email, using images from the episode as avatars and signatures, and using dialogue from the episode as custom titles -- I will suspend you for three days.

Yeah, and writing, "This episode pwns everything!" and you will have me at your door with an axe....

So this thread's good for spoilers then.

I liked this a hell of a lot more than The Planet of the Dead, even though there's a distinct feel of Fires of Pompeii here, which was only a season ago. I liked The Doctor being darker at the end and I was glad that the male that survived was the Russian guy - he was my favourite of the crew. Adelaide was a strong character and even thought her lieutenant was in danger of going down the douchebag antagonist route, he was pretty cool himself. I can't help thinking that The Doctor foreshadowing his own demise is a bit grating though.

And as for the trailer at the end, I've seen half of it from the comic-con trailer. Even so, it'll be a blast.

I thought it was better than Planet of the Dead but honestly I thought it was a case of an average episode with five minutes at the end as a teaser/prologue for The End of Time. I was also a bit disappointed to find that there really wasn't that much more than we'd seen in the trailer, the key points were all passed through like checkpoints. I found myself just waiting to tick off the set pieces as they went by.

Good episode, although I've like to see more than just alien siege episodes every time they put it together to get off-planet. I was watching the clock throughout and figured out that the Doctor spends 15 minutes saying "I've got to get out of here" and another 15 minutes walking away dramatically whilst everything was blown to shit. As a radio adventure this really wouldn't have worked, honestly it was such a bog standard plot that it could have been done in 30 minutes.

Interesting preview of the End of Time as well. 10th doctor is loosing his mind without the grounding influence of a companion, so I think we are really going to see something batshit insane come Christmas. I'm not getting a normal Russell T Davies Grand Who feel off this finale. Its going to be messed up, intense and very personal, and hopefully by the end of it we'll have an issue-free happy new Doctor with a new approach.

John Sim looked quite different this time around, so different that my housemate asked "So who is playing the master?" after watching.

Watching the 1996 movie, and I don't know if its been brought up before but one of the principal actors is Michael David Simms. All little research shows that actor has also worked on Stargate SG1, The X-files, Smallville, X-men 2, NYPD Blue, Dallas and others.

This whole movie is hideously American in tone. Korean gangs shooting each other up with uzi's? What the hell is that about? And why do they not give a shit about the sudden appearance of the Tardis right in front of them? Shouldn't they be running for their lives?

Watching the 1996 movie, and I don't know if its been brought up before but one of the principal actors is Michael David Simms.

Somehow I missed that when I first saw the movie in 1996, but when I re-watched it about two years ago I was giddy to see that name on screen. Granted, the spelling is different, but still.

As for The Waters of Mars, honestly, I'll have to give my thoughts later, 'cause I'm still processing it. What I will say is that I love the many references to the Ice Warriors, but more than that I wish the rogue Doctor lasted longer than 10 minutes. It had this great "holy shit" feel to it... then... nothing.

For me, the line of the episode was this: "There are laws. There are laws of time. And once upon a time there were people in charge of those laws, but they died. They all died. Do you know who that leave? Me! It's taken me all these years to realize the laws of time are mine, and they will obey me!"

So this thread's good for spoilers then.

Yes, in this thread it's fine. And it should be noted that this "[no] spoilers outside of this thread" rule lasts until Wednesday. After that, feel free to change your custom titles and use images as avatars.

Just re-watched the ending, and I caught something this time. After The Doctor returns Adelaide, Yuri, and Mia to Earth, he says, "Isn't anyone going to thank me?"

This, of course, goes counter to what Jackson Lake said of The Doctor at the end of The Next Doctor. It's a subtle bit of continuity that further shows the Doctor's new (and short-lived) Master-like attitude.

I wish the rogue Doctor lasted longer than 10 minutes.

More to this point: Now more than ever I'm sad that David Tennant is leaving the program, 'cause I would have loved a season with him as an unchecked Time Lord. The whole thing could have built to a showdown with Torchwood, UNIT, and even The Master all trying to bring The Doctor down / get him back in line. Instead we got "I'm the master of time... or not."

Something about this episode bothered me a lot, and I just realized what it was. So Adelaide goes to Mars because she was spared by a Dalek when the Earth was stolen. The Doctor said she was spared because her death was a fixed point in time that sends mankind to the stars. Why the fuck would the Daleks care about human history, or history at all when the entire point of stealing the Earth was to kill everything in the galaxy?