What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You'll need to be less subtle, Ian's not great at taking hints.

:rimshot:

I'm going to record a CR for Man of Steel over the weekend, but to truly collect my thoughts, I've spent most of this evening watching Superman Returns - a LONGER film than Man of Steel, and felt as much.

Full thoughts in the upcoming segment.

Much Ado was great. Clark Gregg, Nathan Fillion, and Sean Maher stole the show as Leonato, Dogberry, and Don John, and it was great to see Alexis Denisof and Amy Acker back together and playing off of each other. Some great moments in this, especially the bitch please face (you'll know it when you see it).

Still watching Buffy. So this is the Sunnydale class with the lowest mortality rate? I decided to look into it-

Season 1- 11 dead. Wow, that's a lot. the massacre of 5 people in the season finale helps

Season 2- 0 conclusive. Really? Although I guess it depends on whether you consider those four swim team members dead. The school records should. I'll call it four.

Season 3- Hard to say due to graduation, maybe nine overall. But then graduation happened after the low mortality rate comment, so really it's five maybe?

I was wrong, I figured 30 easy after that bloodbath of a first season. 20 is low, maybe that low mortality rate is accurate. However if you want a teaching job don't try Sunnydale high. Over the three years the school loses 10 members of staff.

Yup, huge nerd here.

Been rewatching Spaced when I can't sleep. Wright and Pegg are so ahead of the curve here, it's surreal. It's a shame Jessica Stevenson/Hynes hasn't done more stuff stateside, too. I like her. Same with Mark Heap, he's delightful.

Angel Season 3- Just got to Sleep Tight. I remember watching this in a crowded room when it was released, we were all just traumatised by it, Wesley's betrayal and near death and the abduction of Conner. It's actually more gut-wrenching than the biggest moments of Buffy like Joyce or Tara or Buffy killing Angel because it's the first time one of the team outright betrays the others. At this point in Buffy we had Hells Bells, one of the worst episodes ever. Amazing how the two shows were on such different levels at this point. Also amazing to think that they were also making Firefly at the same time.

Dipping back into Justified. I really like the tone of this show. Looking forward to it gathering steam as I've only seen four episodes at this point.

Oh yeah: Since I've only said it on Twitter. I was afraid Homeland would be a right wing "terrorists are everywhere and they hate our freedom" fantasy. It is. It is also a little dangerous because it implies that even though someone who thinks that is crazy, they're also right.

But season one was so fucking good. Mandy Patinkin's Saul is quite literally one of the greatest characters that has ever been on TV.

Olympus Has Fallen - Surprisingly it's not terrible. It's basically Die Hard in the White House.

Rise of the Guardians - Not terrible, not great. I didn't hate it, but I'm sure I'll never watch it again.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone - Watch this just for Jim Carrey. He's amazing in it as a poor man's Chris Angel.

When you get around to it it's impressive to see Whedon devising signature tropes for his shows and then busting them later. There's scenes in Angel that I watch knowing how everything is playing out but also knowing that in Firefly Mal would step in and turn the whole thing on it's head. But they don't do that in Angel because that's not who these people are.

That's the great thing about a character like Mal and why I mourn Firefly more than I ever would have if Buffy finished at 5 or Angel at 3 seasons. His actions defined both the man and the show in the kind of way you so rarely get, like early House or something like that. He totally bypasses the guilt trips of Whedon's older characters and becomes action defined by requirement.

Maniac: Elijah Wood as a serial killer. Was better than I was expecting, and pretty graphic, and the camera being from the perspective of the killer most of the time was really good. I wouldn't say go out of your way to watch it, but if it ever shows up on Netflix instant watch, it's worth a look.

Room 237: The story of Stanley Kubrick's The Shining: This felt really cheap at times, it was a talking head compilation of people discussing the imagery of the film and some of their ideas were interesting, such as noticing the continuity errors and the colour changing German typewriter, and how the film works if you overlap the film playing backwards and forwards at the same time. However, at parts the people were giving academic answers, which felt neither right, nor wrong, but just someone reaching for things to say. At one point one of the talking head voices says "Excuse me while I go check on my son" and leaves the mic for thirty seconds, that just felt like someone that should have been cut, along with the person who said "And I will go into this scene in more depth in my film on Kubrick out next year." points like that really drag down an interesting idea. As a DVD extra for The Shining, this would have been really good, but as a standalone documentary, it's kind of mediocre. It did make me want to re-watch The Shining, so, that's something positive.