Aaron Robinson

The leisurely comic discussion thread

I find it really interesting that The Outhousers has completely tanked in quality since Jude Terror left. Interesting because Bleeding Cool has also tanked in quality since Jude Terror started.

Re: his work on White Knight, and it is fucking gross on every level. No, he isn't joking. Yes, he's lost every iota of respect I had for him.

Capture.JPG

Since Colossus' hair also turns metal, why doesn't he style it so it's a razor-thin mohawk or really spiky? This way when he takes on his metal form, his head becomes a giant blade or a pointy battering ram?

Chuck Wendig got fired from Marvel's Star Wars books two issues before the end of his miniseries basically because he fought back against online comicsgaters. So fuck Mark Paniccia and Marvel.

This is happening more and more. People need to learn how to ignore people on social media. Fighting with them is what they want. It's really bad in the video game industry also. Also, this is the first time I've heard of comicsgate. Can someone give me the scoop on what is going on?

In short: Throughout the years Ethan Van Sciver and a handful of other comic book creators have demonstrated abhorrent online behavior, behavior which has cost them jobs in the industry.  As an example, Van Sciver bullied someone online and advocated he kill himself. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. When publishers finally realized how pervasive his online bullying really was -- coupled with his offline actions -- he stopped getting work with Marvel and DC. Van Sciver claimed it wasn't his actions that cost him gigs, but rather his far-right conservative politics. He then used this talking point to whip up a mob of comic book readers and would-be creators into believing that the "liberal publishers" don't want to hire straight white Christian men as creators and editors. He also pushes the idea that the publishers don't want Logan, Tony Stark, Peter Parker, Bruce Wayne, etc. to succeed as characters, that they only want Laura, Riri Williams, Miles Morales, Kate Kane, etc. to sell books. They then site ill-informed / incomplete sales date to "prove" that diverse characters and creators don't sell well; that if Marvel and DC only hired white men (RE: them) and only published white male characters the industry could be saved. Anyone who disagrees with them is bullied nonstop online and offline, and when the bullied creators push back their online comments are sent to publishers in an attempt to get them fired.

TL;DR Ill-behaved white men are angry women of color are writing comic books.

Fandom is ill. It's rotten. My one saving grace is knowing these shitbags tried to do this with horror fiction a couple years ago and were soundly run out. The horror fiction crowd is too small and tight knit and tolerant of each other to put up with this kind of shit.

Unfortunately the loudest and most obnoxious voices get all the attention. I don't think fandom itself is ill, just that we get a bad rap from the idiots.

Did anyone else see Evan Dorkin's thread on Twitter today? To sum it up, he said he's given serious consideration to quitting comics because he's been in the industry too long to do the gig "marginally." He followed that up by saying his most profitable / marketable comic is being "comicblocked" by its co-creator. At first he was vague about the book and co-creator, then pointed a finger directly at Jill Thompson for not committing to Beasts of Burden and not letting him move the series onward with other creators.

This is the first time I've ever heard a negative word about Thompson, but it does explain the curious disappearance of Beasts of Burden. That book had a ton of in-industry and Hollywood hype behind it, then it just stopped. It's a shame for all involved, as Dorkin lays out. Dark Horse Comics is out money, the rest of the creative lost contracted jobs, and the fans have been letdown.

As far as I can tell, Thompson has not responded.

18 hours ago, The Master said:

Did anyone else see Evan Dorkin's thread on Twitter today? To sum it up, he said he's given serious consideration to quitting comics because he's been in the industry too long to do the gig "marginally." He followed that up by saying his most profitable / marketable comic is being "comicblocked" by its co-creator. At first he was vague about the book and co-creator, then pointed a finger directly at Jill Thompson for not committing to Beasts of Burden and not letting him move the series onward with other creators.

This is the first time I've ever heard a negative word about Thompson, but it does explain the curious disappearance of Beasts of Burden. That book had a ton of in-industry and Hollywood hype behind it, then it just stopped. It's a shame for all involved, as Dorkin lays out. Dark Horse Comics is out money, the rest of the creative lost contracted jobs, and the fans have been letdown.

As far as I can tell, Thompson has not responded.

That's a major bummer. It's the only thing I've really enjoyed from either of them, but it's REALLY good.