Randomness

Missy

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why does the media insist on making me want to hate-fuck Sarah Palin?

Oh, good, that's not just me.

Yeah, all sarcastic jokes aside, it's like the media wants us to hate her for no good reason.

I mean, she's not even governor anymore, and somehow we're supposed to be even more upset at her because of that?

For all the talk of conservative bias in the media, I think the Palin-hate is proof of an equal and opposite bias from the other side.

Actually, a lot of it has to do with how she talks.

*WARNING: Major anthropological geekery ahead here, apologies*

So, langauge in any given culture is incredibly symbolic, and carries a lot of social capital with it. In nations especially, there's a concept of "legitimate language", or a standardized language usually spoken by the elite, and speaking this language gets you access to the trappings of being elite - higher position, more money, etc. The legitimate language will be really pushed in schools, and any deviation from the standard is derided as wrong; if you can't speak this legitimate language, you don't get the access.

A really good example of this is Black English Vernacular; it's not regarded as a legitimate language in schools, because it doesn't follow standard English, but, linguistically, it actually does have rules for construction that make it a language (for example, you omit ed in the past, s at the end of a word as plural, drop the r). Standard English is valued more than BEV in most contexts, however.

So, a kid might speak standard English at school, but, when he goes home or when he's out with his friend, he speaks BEV. This shift in language recognizes that in the home/friend context, BEV has higher symbolic capital.

Those who are really good at style shifts can become fluent in multiple regional dialects of a language. Politicians are really good at this, and can adapt their speaking styles to the area they're going to to try and connect with the people they're talking to.

Except for Sarah Palin.

Sarah Palin puts on her regional accent way too heavy, and because what she does isn't valued anywhere in America, she's regarded as an idiot by most of America, no matter where she goes.

TL:DR: Palin's overemphasized accent makes her sound like a moron and because of this she will never be regarded as legitimate by most anyone in America.

Remind me to explain the Sneetches sometime in terms of practice theory in anthropology.

Who cares? She's a shit stain on America.

Don't call Stavros petty for mocking her when the greatest comedians in America are doing the same thing. She's a public figure who is deserving of the ridicule. Why waste the energy defending her?

Edit: this is in response to the previous post. Not Venneh's

So don't go down to her level, then. Prove that you're qualified to make jokes about her failings (by not making jokes about her failings).

She's shot things from helicopters that were qualified to make jokes about her failings.

As for the language thing, its true that the media values the ability to articulate in a source, which does least to a top heavy perspective on society. Inevitably the highest value sources are reliable, trustworthy, productive, authoritative and yes, articulate. Her inability to be articulate is not a regional failing, its just her. Her accent does not help but there are a great many people who have overcome regional dialects and are greatly respected in their fields as media sources.

In the words of Josh Lyman, "Before I look for anything I look for a mind at work."

Don't call Stavros petty for mocking her when the greatest comedians in America are doing the same thing.

I call them out, as well.

I think that attacking anyone on a personal level with the level of intensity with which she's been attacked is flat-out wrong.

Whether you disagree with her politics is another thing entirely. It should never degrade to personal insults the way it's been with her.

She's a public figure, meaning she can be used for public ridicule. For all we know, she could be the nicest woman anyone has ever met, but that is not the side of her we see, we only get what the media portrays her as, which is her being a real fucking idiot. Also, Dread is right, now I feel dirty.

Back to the thread:

funnycomic_FantasticFour.jpg

Reed Richards, a real man's man.

funnycomic_loisbutt.jpg

funnycomic_flash.jpg

Finally: Top 15 most WTF comicbooks ever.