The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Twin Dilemma - The first proper Sixth Doctor story. This was the last story of Season 22; you can really tell by the costumes and the lack of logic and energy in the story itself. The story is completely inconsequential to the introduction of the new Doctor, although I think Maurice Denham was great as Azmael. On the other hand, Colin Baker is great as The Doctor from the word go. He conveys all of the shifting emotions required of him as a result of his problematic regeneration, from fear to paranoia to the controversial attack on Peri. The speech before he attacks Peri is probably my favorite bit of this. During the times where the after effects pass momentarily, Baker carries the Sixth Doctor's trademark arrogance and brashness. Overall, it's not a good story, but I think Colin Baker makes the role his own right from the start.

Attack of the Cybermen - The first story of Season 23. While not a great story, it's decent. Though not as pronounced as in "The Twin Dilemma," The Doctor still has moments here and there as a result of his regeneration, which is a nice touch of continuity. Maurice Colbourne's Lytton is a great character and one of the highlights throughout. The main problem comes from the clash between an attempt at being more serious through an increased level of violence and the cheaper elements like the aliens costumed in bubble wrap. It does have an effective ending, which I think was significant for the Sixth Doctor's journey.

The Mark of The Rani - This was the last Sixth Doctor story I hadn't seen before getting to "Trial of a Time Lord." There are flaws as usual: there isn't really a serious look at the Industrial Revolution, Peri's outfit is ridiculous (not in the usual way), and how The Master returned is glossed over with a chuckle. On the positive side: the opening is great, Colin Baker gets some fun bits, the bickering like an old married couple between The Rani and The Master is entertaining, and a dude gets turned into a tree. The fate of The Rani and Master, while goofy, is awesome. Really, this is my favorite Sixth Doctor story so far after "The Two Doctors."

Holy shit, I don't know why I didn't thing of this sooner. Last season, the line was Silence will Fall. Now, it's easy to think that means that The Silence are the big bads and behind everything. HOWEVER, since when has anything been that straightforward. So, here's my crazy theory: Whoever the big bad is, the one who blew up the TARDIS, they did it to get rid of The Doctor and The Silence. When this failed, they went to plan B which was to use The Doctor to get rid of The Silence. They at some point abduct The Doctor, chasing him through time to do so. He tries to get Rory and Amy's attention but he get kidnapped anyway. Then, they create a duplicate and send it to die in front of those the Doctor trusts most knowing that they won't tell him why they need to go to this one specific date in time. This also explains where the TARDIS is. It's where the real Doctor is. So, we have some omnicidal maniac with The Doctor held captive. Amy's paradox vagina is probably involved somehow as well.

I was thinking about that statement "silence will fall" the other day and came to the same conclusion that it's more about them as a race defeated. It really drummed it home when Rory and the Doctor both said they were both at the FALL of the Roman Empire.

Didn't some one last series say the cracks in time were the Doctors fault?

Maybe the fact that the Doctor has seemingly wiped out the Silence in his trickery and there influence through out mankind's history is no longer there has caused the cracks in the first place.

Bit time wimey but just a thought.

Also "Amy's paradox Vagina" very funny:)

Holy fucking shit. Ten minutes in. Female/gender switching Time Lords kind of confirmed. Suzanne Jones is a Tardis personfified, if I'm understanding what's happening. She's the TARDIS put into a human recepticle. Also, Michael Sheen is motherfucking terrifying. And Corsair. And possessed TARDIS working against the Ponds. Patchwork people. "You call me Sex!" "I took you where you needed to go! And you bring home strays!" "THE PRETTY ONE?!" "YOUR NAME IS SEXY THING!"

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

There is really only one question to ask: Why was Neil Gaiman the first person to come up with that idea? Because he was the only one crazy enough to think of it?

The idea of the TARDIS being given a form has actually been done before. It was a comic mini, Doctor Who: The Forgotten. Pretty good read since it shines a spotlight on all the Doctor's through Ten.

There is really only one question to ask: Why was Neil Gaiman the first person to come up with that idea? Because he was the only one crazy enough to think of it?

The idea of the TARDIS being given a form has actually been done before. It was a comic mini, Doctor Who: The Forgotten. Pretty good read since it shines a spotlight on all the Doctor's through Ten.

That's not canon though, so it doesn't count.

Neil Gaiman for showrunner. Cos that would be awesome..

oh and while we're at it. Best exchange of the episode has to be:

"You never take me where I want to go!"

"No, I take you where you need to go!"

in the eighth doctor novels, one of the Doctor's companions, "Compassion", is actually a sentient TARDIS in human form, so it's an idea that's been used before, but this is the first time for the TV show

Twas good. Not mind blowing, but I liked that it really felt like an old school story at parts, especially all the running around parts.

And they killed Rory again. Yes, I'm counting that. Dead Rory count: six?

I'm halfway through Colin Baker's final season as The Doctor, the 14 part serial "The Trial of a Time Lord."

The Mysterious Planet - This story was a great start to the season. The camera move across the model of where the trial takes place as the TARDIS arrives is very cool. The first scene with The Doctor and Peri, in the story within the trial framing sequence that serves as evidence, is one of my favorite Sixth Doctor scenes. The duo of Sabalom Glitz and Dibber, mostly Glitz, keeps the secondary storyline interesting and Glitz himself bumps up the quality of the story. While Drathro isn't the flashiest robot villain, I do like his design and I think he provides an interesting threat. The cuts back to the trial, and The Doctor's childish jokes about The Valeyard's name, are annoying interruptions throughout the story. While this isn't Robert Holmes' best script, it's still good and one of the better Sixth Doctor stories.

Mindwarp - But while things started off promising, they quickly go downhill. I couldn't stand this story. First of all, if you compare the first scene between The Doctor and Peri from the previous story to the first scene with the pair in this one, the drop in quality is very apparent. As Colin Baker notes in the "making of" for this story, there were three different possible motivations between most of The Doctor's actions in this story. As Baker relates, none of the production crew knew which was the correct one, and the resulting lack of clarity makes it hard for the viewer to evaluate what is happening. Brian Blessed's over the top warrior king makes it nearly impossible to take anything seriously. Oh, and this story has Sil. As for what happens to Peri in this story, the aforementioned lack of clarity makes it hard to decide how I feel about it. Beyond that, I don't think it was fair to Peri after how she was written throughout the Sixth Doctor era (though it's much better than the retcon they pull later). That "The Trial" has had one of the better and one of the worst Sixth Doctor stories so far does not bode well for the next two stories.

(hello, long time no see!)

Anyway, I just listened to the latest episode of Bigger on the Inside, and Mike and Dan were talking about how they keep almost killing Rory, and the patch lady. I'm like... a tumblr addict so I came across this post that reminded me of the whole part-of-this-season-might-be-taking-place-inside-of-Amy's-head theory. Forgive me, I'm not very eloquent. (vague spoilers for "The Doctor's Wife")

So in the end of Amy's first... "hallucination" it seems most likely that House was playing off Amy's deepest fears. Deep down inside Amy might be scared that Rory resents and hates her for making him wait those 2000 years, while even before the Pandorica opened she didn't really treat Rory right. It took her a long time to reassure his fears that she loved him over the Doctor, and even then it felt like she kept... messing with his heart, y'know? Not really intentionally, but the way she acts flirtatiously is a bit worrying for someone who's supposed to be your fiance. Especially when the one she's being flirtatious with is this... incredible, mad, space/time traveler, whose impacted both their childhoods and lives. (Rory is aiming to become a Doctor, because that's what Amy liked to play pretend as when they were kids). I mean, talk about difficult to compete against. After all, we as fans know about the whole Rose/Micky debacle. And subconsciously Amy may feel really guilty over all of that.

So if part of this season is taking place in Amy's head, the reason Rory seemingly keeps dying might actually be fed off her fears.

So this whole Rory/Kenny thing might actually serve as a plot point. Also, this:

tumblr_lkumcgS6vQ1qb3z8e.png

tumblr_lkumcm0M5H1qb3z8e.png